ADVERTISEMENT

Some Nostalgia for Pirate Fans

IronKaz1

All World
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2004
This was my soph. year at The Hall, I was on youtube just watching stuff and what pops up as something to watch this game vs Rutgers at the RAC where we came back from 8 down in OT to win. We were 16-4 going into the game, I remember being at the RAC and we chanted " We Own Jersey" to all the RU people leaving ... Check it out

One of my favorite games ever. You probably recall this was just two days after we knocked off 19-0 Syracuse at the Dome, which was a hugely emotional win. Our guys got it back up and came to play in a very hostile LBAC this night.

I gotta admit I walked to the kitchen in disgust, heard the hubbub from the announcers when ru made a huge mistake to give us a chance. Was it Kent? I think Rimas hit the biggest shot. And Flores was somehow involved. Don't remember good or bad

I think this was the game, I went to bed . Then woke up in the middle of the night and put on the channel that ran the scores across the bottom and went back to sleep as joyous guy.

Reactions: mbraue
Rhimas had nerves of steel. Nothing phased him. Two free throws on the technical. No doubt they were going in. He missed two free throws up to that point in the entire big east conference schedule.
Not to mention a tremendous foul shooter - like 89 percent or so going into that Rutgers game. Aiken is similar. If he’s healthy, keep him on the floor in crunch time with the ball in his hands. Rhoden is excellent, too!

Reactions: Hallsome
I forgot that Shine and Holloway played together.
Amaker kept Dalembert on the bench for the entire game for missing the bus (or late to practice can’t recall) even though he could have been a difference maker - a tough lesson with the game on the line. Good for Amaker - sent a message that he means business.

Reactions: SHUSource
I gotta admit I walked to the kitchen in disgust, heard the hubbub from the announcers when ru made a huge mistake to give us a chance. Was it Kent? I think Rimas hit the biggest shot. And Flores was somehow involved. Don't remember good or bad

Kent called a timeout trying to save a possession and RU was out of timeouts. That resulted in two free throws and the ball for SHU.

Flores, I think, committed an offensive foul when Rimas drew a charge and then missed a late shot.

EDIT: After re-watching the overtime, it was Manga who drew the charge on Flores.

Last edited:
I was right behind the Pirate bench, about 10th row. The atmosphere was historic. RU so desperately wanted to beat us as the Pirates were flying high off the big W at Cuse at the Dome. Everyone stood in the lower bowl for the last few minutes of regulation and all of OT. The Rutgers guy who treated me that night to dinner and tickets was so pissed when Kent got the T and we took the lead, he just left us without a word. We were surrounded by RU fans going crazy in joy at our expense until that moment. It was like being in a hot air balloon that burst 10 feet off the ground. It got quite by us as we were going crazy! Down 8 with 2:11 and hadn't scored in OT. Then Holloway fouls out down 6 with 1:38 left. Lots on in game drama. RU up 7 with 1:23!! Kent missed 3 FTs with 1:23 after a lane violation. Shine was 0-4 from the line and hits 2 with 1:13 left in OT to cut it to 3. Pirates cut 4 points in 10 seconds. Bannon call TO with 1 min left up 3 and calls a play for Billet to launch a 3 six seconds later!! They never used clock, or drove to the hoop. It winds up in Kent's hands falling out of bounds. From up 7 to down 1 in less than a minute!. Luis Flores who scored over 2,000 points in three seasons at Manhattan after leaving Rutgers throws up and air ball that would have won the game, at the famed LBAC, and the rest as they say is history!

Last edited:
Good find. I was at the game sitting right behind the Rutgers band; my roommate's ex was a cheerleader for RU and he said she would get us in..... I saw the look on my face at the 13 second mark when Rimas made the FT - I remember thinking, "how the hell am I going to get out of this place alive." Great win at the RAC.

At the time of her canonization, the Vatican required three miracles to be attributed to the intercession of Elizabeth Ann Seton. The Pirate victory that night was miracle number four.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Good find. I was at the game sitting right behind the Rutgers band; my roommate's ex was a cheerleader for RU and he said she would get us in..... I saw the look on my face at the 13 second mark when Rimas made the FT - I remember thinking, "how the hell am I going to get out of this place alive." Great win at the RAC.
This was fun to watch - Shaheen was quite the PG and Rimas, wow! Forget what a good shooter he was.

Notice how we passed the ball and made teams defend - no quick hoists from 3. Enjoy watching this style of play. Nova still plays this way. Let’s hope we do more of this the upcoming season.

Reactions: Bluebeard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT