ADVERTISEMENT

Spike in virus cases on SHU campus

papacheesy2

Junior
Dec 10, 2006
Big writeup in the Setonian about a sudden surge in COVID cases on campus.

https://www.thesetonian.com/2020/10...ases-overnight-30-cases-since-start-of-month/

"The University has now detected 30 total coronavirus cases during the month of October – 25 of which were found in the last seven days – accounting for 80% of all cases since Seton Hall reopened in August.⁠"

ZZCtTwt.png

Setonian writer on Twitter said there are two coronavirus clusters -- one among its athletics department and another among Greek Life. Carino clarified that the men's basketball team is NOT one of the clusters, but it's worrying nonetheless.

Because of the above The Beefsteak will not have any tables available to the public and now instead will go 100% virtual.

how many students are stuck in bed? how many are in the hospital? how many are having serious complications? how many are dying?

tests are going full steam now youd expect there to be a continuing rise in positive cases.

now that the virus has mutated in a good way, treatment success has increased, positive cases are becoming very meaningless.

the severity trend looks good, but since transmission can still happen to vulnerable people we should keep up masks, washing hands, etc. get out and take the reasonable precautions.

how many students are stuck in bed? how many are in the hospital? how many are having serious complications? how many are dying?

tests are going full steam now youd expect there to be a continuing rise in positive cases.

now that the virus has mutated in a good way, treatment success has increased, positive cases are becoming very meaningless.

the severity trend looks good, but since transmission can still happen to vulnerable people we should keep up masks, washing hands, etc. get out and take the reasonable precautions.
That falls on such deaf ears. Of course there are more positives, we’re actually testing! You make a good point.

I hate when you read comparisons to positive tests months ago. You mean when no one could get tested and only sick people did?

Best post you've ever made. But the media loves to talk about "cases" with no context. I've said from the start that the only statistic that truly matters is hospitalizations relative to the capacity to treat them. If we don't have hospital capacity, then measures should be taken. If we do (and make no mistake, we do), then we should live as normally as possible with precautions for those who are truly at risk.

Best post you've ever made. But the media loves to talk about "cases" with no context. I've said from the start that the only statistic that truly matters is hospitalizations relative to the capacity to treat them. If we don't have hospital capacity, then measures should be taken. If we do (and make no mistake, we do), then we should live as normally as possible with precautions for those who are truly at risk.
i think reasonable precautions should be made by everyone. i hate masks and all the temp checks and covid tests but its not a big deal for a bit

There has not been one reported case of a single NJ college student admitted to a hospital this semester, much less dying from Covid. It is not dangerous for young people. Fact.
How about the big ten football player? I would say like with anything else, yes there is variance.

There has not been one reported case of a single NJ college student admitted to a hospital this semester, much less dying from Covid. It is not dangerous for young people. Fact.
Over 200,000 positive tests from US university students with only a handful of hospitalizations. There has been an uptick in overall hospitalizations, but length of stay has averaged 2-4 days; not the 45-60 days from March/April. Facts the MSM conveniently leaves out.

Most of us can not out run it or hide from it. I fully understand if your immune system is compromised or have conditions effecting your heart , lungs or circulatory system in which case I would be hiding from it.
But for the rest of us the formula is simple 1) get it 2) develop immunity to it and 3) pray that that immunity last a lifetime. (That looks more and more to be true as time goes on)
Everyone's focus should be on improving immune function and the bodies resistance to infections.

Reactions: shu09
Most of us can not out run it or hide from it. I fully understand if your immune system is compromised or have conditions effecting your heart , lungs or circulatory system in which case I would be hiding from it.
But for the rest of us the formula is simple 1) get it 2) develop immunity to it and 3) pray that that immunity last a lifetime. (That looks more and more to be true as time goes on)
Everyone's focus should be on improving immune function and the bodies resistance to infections.
Do you claim the same for STDs?

It’s nice to see reasonable posts here about the virus instead of what you hear and see from the fear provoking media.
I know it’s not a popular subject for the MSM, but the most effective way to prevent yourself from getting the disease Requires personal responsibility.
First of all, live a healthy lifestyle. Eat right, exercise and take the appropriate supplements every day. Best way to build up your immune system.
Second, if you are in an at risk group take the necessary steps to limit your exposure with other people.
Third, just practice good common sense. If you are in an area with a group of people, wear a mask and follow good hygiene.

As we have seen It’s human nature to challenge One size fits all mandates and some of the Politicized arbitrary rules some states have taken. But we know politicians and the MSM are all about fear.

I know it’s not a popular subject for the MSM, but the most effective way to prevent yourself from getting the disease Requires personal responsibility.
First of all, live a healthy lifestyle. Eat right, exercise and take the appropriate supplements every day. Best way to build up your immune system.
Second, if you are in an at risk group take the necessary steps to limit your exposure with other people.
Third, just practice good common sense. If you are in an area with a group of people, wear a mask and follow good hygiene.

As we have seen It’s human nature to challenge One size fits all mandates and some of the Politicized arbitrary rules some states have taken. But we know politicians and the MSM are all about fear.
Hall85 this country does have gatekeeping layers on recommended caloric intake, eating a fiber, leafy greens and fruit diet with limited animal proteins, staying away from artificial products, sugars, saturates fats and most importantly portion control. It is better to have 4-6 smaller portions across the day than possibly 3 or skipping a meal and then eating bigger later on.
Same for exercise, not everyone needs to be Mr. Olympia or Ms. Fitness but even walking 1 to 2 miles 3 to 5 days a week is a thing however you got people that watch all their screens 15 hours a day tv, smartphone, fire etc.
Also, majority of America does not get adaquate rest/sleep.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
New Covid case counts have gone up, that’s undeniable. But as noted above, the ability to treat cases pre hospital or in the hospital has improved dramatically. What the medical profession has learned about he virus since March along with new thrapies and medicine has greatly reduced the length of hospital stays as well as hopefully reducing the number of deaths. The question now is will the ongoing surge in cases still overwhelm hospital capacity even with the improvements in treatment.

I’m at risk due to age. I haven’t been in a group setting since March 10 when i was in NYC for a dinner and a show (dodged a bullet there). I wear a mask, walk 4 miles 3-4 days a week. The only group stuff I do is play doubles tennis outdoors. Recently had a negative Covid test in order to arrange a grand daughter visit.

So yes, at risk people need to take extra precautions but everyone should be willing to help a bit for the overall good— wear a mask if out and around people and try to avoid crowds. Not too much to ask?

Gotta love this. Did you actually read the article? It's a lot less scary than the misleading headline.

“While young adults are much less likely than older persons to become seriously ill, if they reach the point of hospitalization, their risks are substantial,” Dr. Katz wrote in an JAMA Internal Medicine Editor’s Note commenting on a study by researchers at Brigham and Women’s Hospital

Now of course, anyone who has to be hospitalized with any condition is at substantial risk. That's why they're put into the hospital! If you're an obese 21 year old, yeah, it's possible that you could have some issues.

The article also cites a study where only 3,222 young adults were hospitalized over a three month period in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. Of those, fewer than 100 passed away. Again, over a three month period in the entire United States.

With this issue, as with many others, you have to follow the money. There are people you see on TV every day posing as "experts" who are profiting big time off of this panic and fear. The media is complicit as well. Hospitals are encouraged to code patients as covid as they get more money for it. In my opinion, the crazy response to this virus is one of the greatest national embarrassments in US history. We have completely altered our way of life and wrecked our economy over something that the vast majority of people will survive. People with other serious medical conditions have been pushed aside in their treatment plans because of the irrational fear of covid. History will not look kindly on those "leaders" who locked down their states and the so-called "experts" who based the reaction on incorrect modeling and not reality.

Reactions: Abbo71
New Covid case counts have gone up, that’s undeniable. But as noted above, the ability to treat cases pre hospital or in the hospital has improved dramatically. What the medical profession has learned about he virus since March along with new thrapies and medicine has greatly reduced the length of hospital stays as well as hopefully reducing the number of deaths. The question now is will the ongoing surge in cases still overwhelm hospital capacity even with the improvements in treatment.

I’m at risk due to age. I haven’t been in a group setting since March 10 when i was in NYC for a dinner and a show (dodged a bullet there). I wear a mask, walk 4 miles 3-4 days a week. The only group stuff I do is play doubles tennis outdoors. Recently had a negative Covid test in order to arrange a grand daughter visit.

So yes, at risk people need to take extra precautions but everyone should be willing to help a bit for the overall good— wear a mask if out and around people and try to avoid crowds. Not too much to ask?
What you are personally doing and what you are suggesting is exactly what everyone should be.

While cases are up as well as hospitalizations, I am not seeing anywhere near the level of panic that we saw in the spring, and we would be the first to know.

Not one NJ college student has been hospitalized this fall, not just athletes but all students. Survival rates are more than 99.9% for young people. More will die in car accidents, shall we outlaw cars? No policy is perfect but it is crazy to be overly worried about college students. Similar or higher numbers die from the flu each year yet I don’t recall jeremiads re the flu.

Gotta love this. Did you actually read the article? It's a lot less scary than the misleading headline.

“While young adults are much less likely than older persons to become seriously ill, if they reach the point of hospitalization, their risks are substantial,” Dr. Katz wrote in an JAMA Internal Medicine Editor’s Note commenting on a study by researchers at Brigham and Women’s Hospital

Now of course, anyone who has to be hospitalized with any condition is at substantial risk. That's why they're put into the hospital! If you're an obese 21 year old, yeah, it's possible that you could have some issues.

The article also cites a study where only 3,222 young adults were hospitalized over a three month period in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. Of those, fewer than 100 passed away. Again, over a three month period in the entire United States.

With this issue, as with many others, you have to follow the money. There are people you see on TV every day posing as "experts" who are profiting big time off of this panic and fear. The media is complicit as well. Hospitals are encouraged to code patients as covid as they get more money for it. In my opinion, the crazy response to this virus is one of the greatest national embarrassments in US history. We have completely altered our way of life and wrecked our economy over something that the vast majority of people will survive. People with other serious medical conditions have been pushed aside in their treatment plans because of the irrational fear of covid. History will not look kindly on those "leaders" who locked down their states and the so-called "experts" who based the reaction on incorrect modeling and not reality.
I did read the article - While young adults are much less likely than older persons to become seriously ill, if they reach the point of hospitalization, their risks are substantial,” Dr. Katz wrote in an JAMA Internal Medicine Editor’s Note commenting on a study by researchers at Brigham and Women’s Hospital.

With four children, and having seen a young healthy leading NJ attorney from our family hospitalized, in a coma and almost die from COVID, I’d prefer to err on the side of caution and protect all age groups.

I can't wait for this pandemic to be over so I can go back to carelessly coughing and sneezing into everyone's faces again.
I don't think people were ever blatantly coughing or sneezing right in everyone's face. A lot of science says we live in too sterile of a society. We need more germs to build immunity. The idea that so many want to kill all germs is not healthy either. There needs to be some balance.

Last edited:
i think its already proven there is no immunity to it

Reactions: deheremike
I don't think people were ever blatantly coughing or sneezing right in everyone's face. A lot of science says we live in too sterile of a society. We need more germs to build immunity. The idea that so many want to kill all germs is not healthy either. There needs to be some balance.
I do find it interesting that flight attendants have had a much lower infection rate than the general population. They are exposed to hundreds/thousands of people in very tight quarters every single day. I always thought that they had the strongest immune system‘s of any one.

I do find it interesting that flight attendants have had a much lower infection rate than the general population. They are exposed to hundreds/thousands of people in very tight quarters every single day. I always thought that they had the strongest immune system‘s of any one.
they also tend to be younger and female which i believe is less predisposed to the virus.

Some good news on Covid.

linked from that article "COVID-19 still causes symptoms in some people that continue long after hospital patients are sent home, including fatigue, blood clots, and lung damage."

this is one of the things that still scares me a bit. what are the long term ramifications if you do get it? is this only to those hospitalized?

Reactions: mbraue
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT