ADVERTISEMENT

Sterling Gibbs

Originally posted by Halldan1:
Is he the best transfer in the school's history?
Not that he's had the stiffest of competition in the "transferred to SHU" category, but yes, he is. He's an outstanding player that I hope will be back next year.

In recent years a few names that come to mind are Andre Sweet (Duke), Herb Pope (NM State), and Eugene Teague (Southern Ill) come to mind.

Gibbs is better than all of them, from skill to productivity to big time shots. I think he's the best transfer I can remember.

This post was edited on 3/9 9:40 AM by Piratz

Pope was more talented but he caused way too many issues at SHU.

Teague only had one outstanding year and it was similar to the impact Gibbs had this season.

Let's hope Sterling returns and becomes a 1st team Big East player next year.

Originally posted by Piratz:
In recent years a few names that come to mind are Andre Sweet (Duke), Herb Pope (NM State), and Eugene Teague (Southern Ill) come to mind.

Gibbs is better than all of them, from skill to productivity to big time shots. I think he's the best transfer I can remember.

This post was edited on 3/9 9:40 AM by Piratz
Since 2000, we've had Des Herod, Andre Sweet, Robert Mitchell, Herb Pope, Eugene Teague, Kyle Smyth, Brian Oliver, Eniel Polynice, Keon Lawrence, and a few more that I'm surely missing. Pope is the only one with an on-court impact somewhat close to Gibbs.

Again, not the toughest of competition, but Gibbs is the best.

Best transfer in and best transfer out as well!
smile.r191677.gif

Is cheating allowed in this question, lol? If so, I am going to cheat and say Gaze, who "technically" transferred from Footscray.

Unless we consider a "transfer" from Melbourne, Australia a transfer, then Sterling is the best transfer I can remember.

If you don't count Gaze, yes, Sterling has been the best. Hopefully, there is still one more chapter to write next year though.

I'd add an asterisk though, because it's about winning and Sterling will likely not play in the post season either years while he is here.

He's certainly up there. Pope should have been better but unfortunately tailed down at the end.

If JUCO counts though, I might give the edge to Ollie Taylor just given the back to back buzzer beaters to give SHU it's first ever Big East title in 1991. Plus the Elite 8.

(Check the records) - Actually I started a thread from the jubilation I was feeling after the Villanova win, stating that he was indeed our best transfer ever. Since then, like the rest of the team, he has hit a few bumps in the road. Hopefully those bumps will not cause him to leave, as I foresee him having a fabulous final year next year for our team! GO STIRLING! GO PIRATES!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT