ADVERTISEMENT

Ten players that should have stayed in college

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Some of these future NBA picks might work out, but others won't sniff being drafted

by Matt Norlander

Edmond Sumner | PG | Xavier

Sumner's season ended in January when he tore his left ACL. Before the injury, he was projected as a first-round pick. In the latest round of post-deadline mock drafts, Sumner is firmly in the 40-or-lower category. Is it just the injury? Well, that's a lot of it. ACL tears for guards aren't seen as big-time red flags anymore, not the way they were even a decade ago. But Sumner has not been able to work out. Without teams getting to see his physical capabilities so close to the draft, he's essentially losing millions of dollars and a guaranteed contract.

Was Sumner advised of this when he made his decision to stay in the pool? If he would have opted to rehab and return to Xavier, the Musketeers would have been a borderline top-10 team in 2017-18, and a strong return for Sumner could have kept him in the first round of the 2018 draft. So, yes, this is certainly a risky call for him. But after going down with the type of injury he did, it's understandable why he wants to chase being a pro.

Isaiah Briscoe | PG | Kentucky

Briscoe averaged 14 points, 5.5 assist and three rebounds while shooting 50.7 from 2-point range and making a big jump as a sophomore. But his game and performance through two seasons with the Wildcats hasn't convinced a number of scouts and general managers that he's an NBA-level player. Briscoe, who has a great 6-9 wingspan to accommodate his 6-3 frame, is likely going to get caught in a numbers game in this year's draft.

He's a point guard who lacks the physical quickness of most NBA point guards, and he doesn't have the 3-point shot to establish himself as even a B-level offensive threat. Could he grow into that kind of player? I think Briscoe has a ceiling but ultimately would have helped himself by coming back to Kentucky for one more season and acting as the undisputed leader and veteran on a team that will desperately need such a presence. Briscoe could have become a guy capable of being responsible of 40 percent of Kentucky's points (via his own buckets and assists) and if his usage rate and efficiency shot up, he would have had a chance at getting drafted in 2018....................

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-nba-draft-but-should-have-stayed-in-college/

Reactions: Muggsy Blue
I was out of the loop (more so than usual) as the final NBA draft pool decisions were being made and while Duval's recruitment was winding down, but was Jackson's decision at all considered a factor, despite what's indicated below? I doubt it we had any real shot at him, but I do remember speculation a couple months ago that Jackson returning could help our chances.

Frank Jackson | SG | Duke

I really have to wonder what Frank Jackson considered when he decided to be a one-and-done guy. Let's look at his situation.

He is a five-star shooting guard prospect who was a spot starter and became a very good, confident role player for Duke last season. Had he returned for a second season in Durham, I think he would have been a top-30 player. With that, he likely would have averaged north of 15 points, even with Grayson Allen in the mix. I was told that Jackson's decision was not influenced by Allen returning or the prospect of Trevon Duval committing to Duke, which subsequently happened following Jackson staying in the draft for good.

Jackson, who is 6-feet-4, averaged 10.9 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1.7 assists and shot 54 percent from 2 and 39 percent from 3-point range. He has good strength, a nice shooting form and doesn't lack for competitiveness. With a year of seasoning, he probably would have transformed into a first-round pick. Instead, he takes a chance now. When you're a guarantee to be drafted, it's hard to say making the call to stay in the draft is a "bad decision." But I do believe Jackson is taking a risk here because his potential probably would have garnered him a higher spot and more money in a weaker draft in 2018.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT