ADVERTISEMENT

Texas @ Hall

Beautiful. Another major national brand coming to play us. In a span of 5 years now (including next), we'll have played Texas, Michigan State, Maryland, Louisville, Kentucky, Indiana and Texas Tech at either the Prudential Center or Madison Square Garden. I love how Seton Hall is positioned right now, being a part of local Big East rivalries agianst Nova, SJU, UConn, etc AND getting games (including many home/close to home) against some of the biggest brands from across the country.

Beautiful. Another major national brand coming to play us. In a span of 5 years now (including next), we'll have played Texas, Michigan State, Maryland, Louisville, Kentucky, Indiana and Texas Tech at either the Prudential Center or Madison Square Garden. I love how Seton Hall is positioned right now, being a part of local Big East rivalries agianst Nova, SJU, UConn, etc AND getting games (including many home/close to home) against some of the biggest brands from across the country.
Don't forget Baylor was scheduled to come to Rock last year, but first Covid wiped out the fan attendance, then the game as well.

Mich St - 0-1 (but should have won)
Maryland - 2-0
Louisville - 1-2 (won at Louisville on Desi shot, lost tough one at Pru and lost by 1 this year)
Kentucky - 1-0
Indiana - 1-0
Texas Tech 1-0
South Carolina 1-0 (not a national brand in bball, but they went to FF the year we played them)

St. John’s to host powerhouse Kansas at Islanders’ new arena​

By Zach Braziller

Mark your calendars, St. John’s fans. You have a marquee non-conference home game to attend in early December.

The Johnnies will host national powerhouse Kansas on Dec. 2, sources confirmed, as part of the annual challenge against the Big 12. The game is expected to be played at the Islanders new home, UBS Arena, at Belmont and will be the first college basketball game there.

St. John’s requested a top-tier foe in this game, according to sources. It will be a reunion for Kansas assistant coach Norm Roberts, who coached the Red Storm from 2004-10. St. John’s and Kansas last played 21 years ago.

Kansas is by far the biggest non-conference game St. John’s will have played in the Mike Anderson era. The Johnnies will also face Pittsburgh in the Gotham Classic at the Garden on Dec. 18. The other significant non-conference game will be the Gavitt Games against a Big Ten opponent to be announced on the road. One possibility, according to sources, is visiting Indiana and former Knicks coach Mike Woodson.

Other opponents that have been set for next year include St. Peter’s on Nov. 13, FDU on Nov. 20, and NJIT on Nov. 27.

St. John’s is still awaiting word on sophomore star Julian Champagnie, who is testing the NBA Draft waters after leading the Big East in scoring. The deadline is July 7. The Johnnies, with two open scholarships remaining, are also planning to add a guard to next year’s team via the transfer market.

Love our matchup. Some other potential fun ones -- the obvious Nova/Baylor. Uconn at West Virginia. Kansas coming to NY to take on SJU at that new arena.

Awesome I live in Texas so would have given it see them in Austin. Although I am glad the pirates will be at home at the Rock. Nice job by the school in getting solid out of conference marquee matchups. Makes the Rutgers game even less important.

Reactions: Hallsome
Kansas playing St. John's on Long Island and not at the Garden is a colossal error in judgment. Nobody cares about an arena in Nassau County. You're St. John's! You play one of the biggest names in the sport at the Garden, no questions asked.

Surprised the Big 12 and the Big East agreed to this small time move.

Mich St - 0-1 (but should have won)
Maryland - 2-0
Louisville - 1-2 (won at Louisville on Desi shot, lost tough one at Pru and lost by 1 this year)
Kentucky - 1-0
Indiana - 1-0
Texas Tech 1-0
South Carolina 1-0 (not a national brand in bball, but they went to FF the year we played them)
You probably spit that out on memory!

Kansas playing St. John's on Long Island and not at the Garden is a colossal error in judgment. Nobody cares about an arena in Nassau County. You're St. John's! You play one of the biggest names in the sport at the Garden, no questions asked.

Surprised the Big 12 and the Big East agreed to this small time move.

Not small time whatsoever... It’s the first game at the new Islanders Arena at Belmont Park in Queens. They wanted to make it a big one and they got it. It will be interesting to see how St John’s makes use of that building going forward since it is not that far from campus.

Not small time whatsoever... It’s the first game at the new Islanders Arena at Belmont Park in Queens. They wanted to make it a big one and they got it. It will be interesting to see how St John’s makes use of that building going forward since it is not that far from campus.

I doubt they'll use it much. Why pay double rent at the Garden and this new place? Unless the Garden dumps them....

Last edited:
I doubt they'll use it much. Why pay double rent at the Garden and this new place? Unless they Garden dumps them....

If they dump the Garden for the new place we should move in! Joking, that would never happen, even if it would be easier to get to than the Rock for a lot of our fans.

I doubt they'll use it much. Why pay double rent at the Garden and this new place? Unless they Garden dumps them....
They should play Kansas at the Garden. St John’s should play all good high majors at MSG. Nothing equals that venue.

I’d bet they got a really good deal to play this game at that new arena. It’s probably a driver of the decision and if Kansas thought it was too small time I’d bet dollars to donuts it wouldn’t be played there. I’m sure that new arena will be first class (though it ain’t MSG).

I know in years past it was reported that a problem for SJU with the Garden was twofold. One, scheduling/availability. Two, cost. They should always play Nova, Uconn, Gtown and us in MSG, as well as high majors out of conference. Frankly I think playing the Midwest schools at Carnesecca is smart because they get a real home court advantage there.

I don’t see MSG parting ways with SJU. Too much tradition and history there. And I think the Garden likes having a college basketball team call it home.

I don’t know what their plans are, but they wanted to do something special for the first game at the place. We’re not talking the Trenton Arena .... it’s a major building. It’s going to seat 18,000 and it’s only 7 miles from campus. It’s not so easy for their fans from Long Island, Queens and Brooklyn to get to MSG, especially students on campus. It’s easier for most Hall fans to get to the Garden than it is for them.

Last edited:
They should play Kansas at the Garden. St John’s should play all good high majors at MSG. Nothing equals that venue.

I’d bet they got a really good deal to play this game at that new arena. It’s probably a driver of the decision and if Kansas thought it was too small time I’d bet dollars to donuts it wouldn’t be played there. I’m sure that new arena will be first class (though it ain’t MSG).

I know in years past it was reported that a problem for SJU with the Garden was twofold. One, scheduling/availability. Two, cost. They should always play Nova, Uconn, Gtown and us in MSG, as well as high majors out of conference. Frankly I think playing the Midwest schools at Carnesecca is smart because they get a real home court advantage there.

I don’t see MSG parting ways with SJU. Too much tradition and history there. And I think the Garden likes having a college basketball team call it home.
I'm going to respectfully disagree here. It's a good experiment to see what type of atmosphere they can create at this new arena. They may be able to draw a good number of fans from that part of Long Island/Queens that usually would not go back into The City. Also, SJU has a significant amount of fans that have filtered further out into Nassau and Suffolk County. I believe the LIRR will go right there. So it might be a way for them to draw fans that have been out of the loop for a while. I always thought SJU should have played at least a game or two per year at the Nassau Coliseum to include that part of their alumni group further out in LI. Plus as you see with the Islanders the atmosphere at The Barn is excellent. I agree MSG has to be the main arena, but this is at least a chance to see what this new venue may offer. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Most likely scenario is that the Garden is booked for the available dates. But certainly a bummer for fans on both ends. The St Johns "first basketball game ever" is just a BS spin put out by the school to make people slightly less pissed about it.

Reactions: shu09
Most likely scenario is that the Garden is booked for the available dates. But certainly a bummer for fans on both ends. The St Johns "first basketball game ever" is just a BS spin put out by the school to make people slightly less pissed about it.

What’s so hard about it to understand or believe?

Not excited about dealing with Christian Bishop once again, whom I hated more last year than Theo John.

I'm going to respectfully disagree here. It's a good experiment to see what type of atmosphere they can create at this new arena. They may be able to draw a good number of fans from that part of Long Island/Queens that usually would not go back into The City. Also, SJU has a significant amount of fans that have filtered further out into Nassau and Suffolk County. I believe the LIRR will go right there. So it might be a way for them to draw fans that have been out of the loop for a while. I always thought SJU should have played at least a game or two per year at the Nassau Coliseum to include that part of their alumni group further out in LI. Plus as you see with the Islanders the atmosphere at The Barn is excellent. I agree MSG has to be the main arena, but this is at least a chance to see what this new venue may offer. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

SJU did play at Nassau at least a few times. If I recall one year they were the host for NCAA games there as well.

No we aren’t playing You this year
We are playing Michigan , Michigan State , Iowa . Illinois , Ohio State , Purdue , Wisconsin , etc
You know who wouldn't mind that? DePaul. They went 3-0 against the Big Ten the season before last. That's how many they won all season in the Big East.

Maybe you can point us to some tougher games on Rutgers' schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT