ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you Debbie Sfraga

Debbie is an institution at The Hall. Hoping they do something lasting to recognize her service and legacy. At least a plaque in the new building or something..

Wishing her all the best for a wonderful retirement. So well deserved.

Debbie is an institution at The Hall. Hoping they do something lasting to recognize her service and legacy. At least a plaque in the new building or something..

Maybe they can endow the Pep Band scholarships in her name?

Band Director Debbie Sfraga Announces Retirement​

resize

South Orange, N.J. - After 37 incredible seasons directing the Seton Hall Pep Band, enriching the lives of many Seton Hall University students, Debbie Sfraga has announced her retirement from her position as Band Director, effective June 30. Sfraga is the only band director in program history, having started the pep band in the fall of 1987.

As the leader of the pep band for 37 years, Sfraga was a mentor to approximately 700 Seton Hall students who expressed their Pirate Pride through music and their instruments. In 37 seasons, Sfraga has been a part of over 1,000 men's and women's basketball home games combined, and she has been a part of every single BIG EAST men's and women's basketball championship the Pirates have won and every NCAA Tournament appearance the programs have made, including the 1989 men's basketball run to the Final Four in Seattle, Washington, and the 1994 women's basketball run to the Sweet Sixteen that included two raucous wins inside sold-out Walsh Gymnasium.

Sfraga's career was capped this spring with a trip to the NIT Championship in Indianapolis, where she directed the playing of the Seton Hall fight song after men's basketball won the program's first national postseason championship since 1953.

"Congratulations to our pep band founder, Debbie Sfraga, on 37 fantastic years leading our students and being a fixture in helping cheer on our men's and women's basketball teams," said Seton Hall Director of Athletics Bryan Felt. "She developed the pep band program from scratch, and her passion, dedication and spirit shone through every rendition of our fight song and alma mater. I can't thank Debbie enough for her efforts in supporting Seton Hall Athletics and our student-athletes, and we all wish her the best in her retirement. She is a Pirate for life, and she will be missed!"

Sfraga came to Seton Hall in Fall 1986, teaching music classes as an adjunct, and a few months later, then Seton Hall Director of Athletics Larry Keating called the music department and asked if anyone could direct a pep band. By Fall 1987, Sfraga had assembled 25 students to be in the inaugural pep band. That year coincided with the men's basketball team earning the program's first-ever NCAA Tournament bid in Spring 1988. Sfraga and the band traveled with the team to Los Angeles, where the Pirates, led by head coach P.J. Carlesimo and future NBA star Mark Bryant, defeated UTEP for the program's first NCAA victory.

Just a year later Sfraga had the honor of directing the Seton Hall pep band in the playing of the national anthem prior to the start of the NCAA Men's Basketball National Championship game between Seton Hall and Michigan on April 3, 1989.

In addition to directing the pep band, Sfraga also spent time teaching in the Seton Hall music department, including four years as a full-time employee. She has directed the pep band at numerous Seton Hall community events over the years, including an annual performance at one of Seton Hall's signature events, the Christmas Tree lighting on the green.

"Directing the Seton Hall pep band was a true highlight of both my professional career and personal life," Sfraga said. "I couldn't have asked for a better experience teaching music with a really great group of students. Seton Hall means a great deal to me - my two boys are both Seton Hall graduates - and it's been wonderful being a part of the community, and I intend to continue attending basketball games as a fan!"

Members of the Seton Hall community, including pep band alumni, who would like to congratulate Debbie Sfraga on 37 wonderful years as director of the pep band can send a message through an online form at SHUPirates.com.

What Piratz said.

Wishing her well and a happy retirement. An institution and legacy is correct. I love the fact that graduating members come back and participate in the band each year. Congrats Debbie! I'll miss hearing the announcer say her name while introducing the pep band.

Sorry if I offended you boomers who are living in the past with these old tired songs. A band director from an HBCU or someone young and energetic with songs students connect with today in 2024 would be a breath of fresh air. I have nothing against Debbie, the 2 can be mutually exclusive. She is a nice woman and thank her for her service but its time for a fresh change

Sorry if I offended you boomers who are living in the past with these old tired songs. A band director from an HBCU or someone young and energetic with songs students connect with today in 2024 would be a breath of fresh air. I have nothing against Debbie, the 2 can be mutually exclusive. She is a nice woman and thank her for her service but its time for a fresh change
You are entitled to your opinion, but your sense of timing and self awareness is severely lacking.... yeah what you said was offensive in the context of this thread. Hope when you retire all of your warts are emphasized and any of your successes are ....well... omitted. But I'm sure you're a nice guy.

You are entitled to your opinion, but your sense of timing and self awareness is severely lacking.... yeah what you said was offensive in the context of this thread. Hope when you retire all of your warts are emphasized and any of your successes are ....well... omitted. But I'm sure you're a nice guy.
So i should start a separate thread for this? Lol your awareness is lacking too I guess

Reactions: P1RAT3 and boatshu

So i should start a separate thread for this? Lol your awareness is lacking too I guess
It might have been best to take a day or two off and let Debbie enjoy her day in the sun.

You're entitled to your opinion but that doesn't always mean it needs to be stated publicly. Some things are better left unsaid.

Let the boomers boom lol cant say anything bad about the band director in a post about the band director but its fine for posters to constantly post negative comments about 20 year old kids.

They dont take too well to opinions different from theirs, thats all. Don't worry, they will be back to complaining that not everybody touched the ball before we took a shot in no time.

Let the boomers boom lol cant say anything bad about the band director in a post about the band director but its fine for posters to constantly post negative comments about 20 year old kids.

They dont take too well to opinions different from theirs, thats all. Don't worry, they will be back to complaining that not everybody touched the ball before we took a shot in no time.
you just don't get it... that's OK.. what are you a gen Z, gen X, gen Y, gen DD?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT