ADVERTISEMENT

The Athletic Big East Preview

CL82

All Big East
Oct 31, 2002

Athletic Big East Preview

10. Seton Hall

Potential starters: Ike Obiagu, Jared Rhoden, Myles Cale, Kadary Richmond (transfer), Jamir Harris (transfer)
Bench: Bryce Aiken, Tyrese Samuel, Tray Jackson, Jahari Long, Brandon Weston (Fr.), Tyler Powell (Fr.), Ryan Conway (Fr.), Alexis Yetna (transfer)

Seton Hall had an opportunity to make the NCAA Tournament last season but struggled down the stretch, finishing with a 14-13 overall record. The Hall will be without Big East co-player of the year and general beast Sandro Mamukelashvili, who is entering the NBA Draft. The Pirates’ leading scorer and rebounder will be missed, as will Shavar Reynolds, who transferred.

But Seton Hall brings back three starters in Jared Rhoden, Myles Cale and Ike Obiagu. Rhoden and Cale were the team’s top scorers after Mamukelashvili. The team brought in experienced transfer guard Jamir Harris from American. Harris averaged 20.5 points and 3.5 assists while leading the nation in 3-pointers made per game (3.9). For Seton Hall to be successful next season, there needs to be scoring in the absence of Mamukelashvili. Luckily there’s starter consistency on its roster.

FWIW, I don't think they fully appreciate the value of your transfers (though two are listed as starters.) Yeah Mamu is a big loss, but you guys have some interesting pieces in place. The addition of Kadary, Harris and Yetna is huge, in my opinion.

What a hack article. I think they got #1 and #11 right and that's about it. Safe to say you're probably not doing it right when 100% of comments are consistently telling you that your entire analysis stinks LOL.

Reactions: Piratz
Is it me, or does the fact a UCONN fan posted the article make it exponentially worse? I will never understand why fans of other teams get on other teams message boards and feel it necessary to post. Something tells me he is not posting that article on the Nova board.

What a hack article. I think they got #1 and #11 right and that's about it. Safe to say you're probably not doing it right when 100% of comments are consistently telling you that your entire analysis stinks LOL.
I'm feeling pretty good about the #2 slot but they clearly had a big miss on SH.

(FWIW, I completely discount Creighton fans whining about their lack of respect. They are the Rutgers of BE fans.)

Last edited:
Is it me, or does the fact a UCONN fan posted the article make it exponentially worse? I will never understand why fans of other teams get on other teams message boards and feel it necessary to post. Something tells me he is not posting that article on the Nova board.
Lol, I posted a lot of stuff here last year on the league and Seton Hall but I can stop if the consensus of the board is that you don't want to see it.

You are right though, that I didn't post on the Nova board. You guys are the only BE board I visit with any regularity. Being a UConn fan who lives in Jersey, it felt right and I like the personalities on the board. I think I am a pretty reasonable guest but if the consensus is otherwise, I can bail. It's not a big deal to me one way or the other.

Last edited:
Lol, I posted a lot of stuff here last year of the league and Seton Hall but I can stop if the consensus of the board is that you don't want to see it.

You are right though, that I didn't post on the Nova board. You guys are the only BE board I visit with any regularity. Being a UConn fan who lived in Jersey it felt right and I like the personalities on the board. I think I am a pretty reasonable guest but if the consensus is otherwise, I can bail. It's not a big deal to me one way or the other.
You're fine and always welcome to post. We've got some ornery posters here who have historically been unwelcoming to anyone not wearing Pirate Blue. Pay it no mind.

Lol, I posted a lot of stuff here last year of the league and Seton Hall but I can stop if the consensus of the board is that you don't want to see it.

You are right though, that I didn't post on the Nova board. You guys are the only BE board I visit with any regularity. Being a UConn fan who lived in Jersey it felt right and I like the personalities on the board. I think I am a pretty reasonable guest but if the consensus is otherwise, I can bail. It's not a big deal to me one way or the other.

You're fine dude, you are far from a shill and certainly better than many of our other "guests".

Yeah it’s certainly a poor ranking for the Hall.

IMHO, our ceiling is 2nd and our floor is somewhere around 7th IMHO.

I expect us to be 3-5 place at the end of the day so 10th is super low and can tell the authors did the bare minimum research before posting or just wanted to have shock value for clicks.

I am actually being a little tough on you (you seem like nice guy). Nonetheless, my hatred of UCONN is based on all the obnoxious fans (and one is my good friend) who have shown up at either CAA/Pru and MSG over the years. On top of that, you now have an SHU alum as coach, and keep stealing recruits from us (Sanogo).

I am actually being a little tough on you (you seem like nice guy). Nonetheless, my hatred of UCONN is based on all the obnoxious fans (and one is my good friend) who have shown up at either CAA/Pru and MSG over the years. On top of that, you now have an SHU alum as coach, and keep stealing recruits from us (Sanogo).
Let it all out, Russ. Let it all out....haha

This was exactly what I said in my comment on the article. There are a lot of head-scratchers on this list, like Georgetown being ranked number 4, for instance. Seton Hall ranked 10th was almost universally called out, though. Some Creighton fans were mad that they weren't ranked higher than 6th, which I thought was pretty funny.

It doesn't seem like it was well thought out, but one author has the UConn basketball beat (women and men) and the other author covers all big five Philly teams for the Athletic, so I don't think they really know much about the Big East beyond the teams they cover.

Keep posting. You are a good and objective poster and I welcome things from other fan bases when they aren’t trolls like some of the RU posters can be.
Two issues with this article. One, the roster composition are going to look different because there is still a slew of guys going through the process that might return. That doesn’t impact Uconn or Prov because their studs are gone. It may well have a huge impact on Creighton if any of its kids return (I think at least one or two can). It also will have a huge impact on SJU if Champagne returns and if they also land one of the combo guards going through the process, which both Fanta and Braziller have alluded to in the rumor mill. Two, there is no scenario in which we are 10th. I think the article is overly high on Gtown, overly light on us.

Reactions: shu67
I'm pretty sure none of Creighton's good players are returning. Bishop transferred to UT, and I believe Zegarowski, Jefferson, Mahoney, and Ballock have all announced they're not returning. Here's Ballock doing a workout with Charlotte (Sandro's there too).

I think the only player worth noting that is returning is Kalkbrenner. O'Connell and Mitchell didn't really do much last year, but they're back. So Creighton has one of the top recruiting classes in the country, but they're also without 85% of their scoring from last year.

I'm pretty sure none of Creighton's good players are returning. Bishop transferred to UT, and I believe Zegarowski, Jefferson, Mahoney, and Ballock have all announced they're not returning. Here's Ballock doing a workout with Charlotte (Sandro's there too).

I think the only player worth noting that is returning is Kalkbrenner. O'Connell and Mitchell didn't really do much last year, but they're back. So Creighton has one of the top recruiting classes in the country, but they're also without 85% of their scoring from last year.
Got it. I thought the door was open still for Jefferson and Mahoney for some reason.

Lol. So if the BE kids, the only impact ones still in limbo are Champagne and Dawson Garcia I think.

I think you're right. I was wondering about Romeo Weems but he's apparently declared for the draft and hired an agent.

Personally, I don't care that these writers rank us 11th. It's certainly not worth me getting worked up about. I pretty much ignore pre-season rankings and predictions because they are utterly meaningless.

Reactions: Hallsome
Lol, I posted a lot of stuff here last year on the league and Seton Hall but I can stop if the consensus of the board is that you don't want to see it.

You are right though, that I didn't post on the Nova board. You guys are the only BE board I visit with any regularity. Being a UConn fan who lives in Jersey, it felt right and I like the personalities on the board. I think I am a pretty reasonable guest but if the consensus is otherwise, I can bail. It's not a big deal to me one way or the other.
Keep posting. You are a good and objective poster and I welcome things from other fan bases when they aren’t trolls like some of the RU posters can be.
Agree - your posts are well-written, informative and balanced. I pay these pre-season predictions no weight. I think Willard has enough good players back to keep us in the hunt for an NCAA tournament bid.

It doesn't seem like it was well thought out, but one author has the UConn basketball beat (women and men) and the other author covers all big five Philly teams for the Athletic, so I don't think they really know much about the Big East beyond the teams they cover.
Maybe it's just bias from what she has written before on Seton Hall but they should just let Dana O'Neil do the Big East coverage. She is writing a book on the conference, just let her do the main coverage too. I'd trust how she ranks the schools over this list.

Russ, you’re the man. My favorite poster.

Reactions: Pirate Russ

You can stay but Russ is still right

Reactions: Pirate Russ
When you see articles that rank teams whether it be in a specific Conference or ranking teams nationally it’s the skill , experience and the depth of the writer’s knowledge that determines whether their conclusions have merit or not and everyone can judge that for themselves .

Last edited:
When you see articles that rank teams whether it be in a specific Conference or ranking teams nationally it’s the skill , experience and the depth of the writer’s knowledge that determines whether their conclusions have merit or not and everyone can judge that for themselves .

Good point. But I'll also add that the Athletic is held to a pretty high standard in terms of the quality of its articles and reports, at least by many of its subscribers. I expected better.

Good point. But I'll also add that the Athletic is held to a pretty high standard in terms of the quality of its articles and reports, at least by many of its subscribers. I expected better.

This may be the worst researched piece I've read on The Athletic since I became a subscriber near the end of last year. I remember Charlotte Carroll writing a piece for Sports Illustrated last year that was similarly off-base.

It really feels the authors put the two schools they know at one and two and then picked the rest of the names out of a hat.

Reactions: CL82

I’d take 100 of you over a single Rutgers fan.

You've been a respectful poster here, in my opinion.

It’s clear people are more annoyed by UConn than by the original poster.
Um, thank you?

Ironically enough, if you go on the site UConn, The Boneyard, you will find the vast majority of posters agree that Seton Hall is way, way underrated in this article. The consensus is that we will be battling you guys for second place. For what it’s worth, I never really mind being underrated by some random preseason article. It’s bulletin board material.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT