ADVERTISEMENT

The Big East’s Media Marriage: Life Beyond 2025 with FS1

CL82

All Big East
Oct 31, 2002
Discussion of the current and future value of the Big East Deal with Fox

The incumbent media deal with Fox nets each member school in the Big East $4.6 million annually, a number that is then supplemented by a variety of factors, variables like NCAA Tournament appearances provide a boon in value, bringing in approximately a million dollars for every tournament game appearance in March. By way of illustration, for a league that sent 7 of its 10 teams to the 2017 tournament, a shared bonus check of $7M certainly helps all conference members.

These numbers mean very little outside of the context of other media contracts across college sports. The Big 10 for instance nets approximately $50 million per school annually, albeit a significant amount of this value stems from football, a sport the Big East doesn’t sponsor. Can the Big East compete with schools whose media contracts earn multiples of what Fox pays?

UConn adds even more eyeballs especially as they’re rising back up in relevance again too.”... It’s reasonable to anticipate that an increase from $4.6M per school annually could grow to $6-8M with a new media deal in 2025.

Well that's not P5 money, but it's well above anything else in the non-P5 conferences and the exposure is infinitely better than any other G5.

The very first sentence above is completely incorrect, not even close.

Discussion of the current and future value of the Big East Deal with Fox

The incumbent media deal with Fox nets each member school in the Big East $4.6 million annually, a number that is then supplemented by a variety of factors, variables like NCAA Tournament appearances provide a boon in value, bringing in approximately a million dollars for every tournament game appearance in March. By way of illustration, for a league that sent 7 of its 10 teams to the 2017 tournament, a shared bonus check of $7M certainly helps all conference members.

These numbers mean very little outside of the context of other media contracts across college sports. The Big 10 for instance nets approximately $50 million per school annually, albeit a significant amount of this value stems from football, a sport the Big East doesn’t sponsor. Can the Big East compete with schools whose media contracts earn multiples of what Fox pays?

UConn adds even more eyeballs especially as they’re rising back up in relevance again too.”... It’s reasonable to anticipate that an increase from $4.6M per school annually could grow to $6-8M with a new media deal in 2025.

Well that's not P5 money, but it's well above anything else in the non-P5 conferences and the exposure is infinitely better than any other G5.
We also don’t have the same expenses associated with football which I’m sure eats up the majority of the difference. I wonder how things compare when football is taken out of the equation. We should be on equal footing there.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I wonder how things compare when football is taken out of the equation. We should be on equal footing there.
I think so, theoretically, but practically they’re looking at 50 million per school and we are looking at 4.5 million per school.

If our new contract approaches doubling that it’s a win. If more teams can step up and make longer runs into the NCAA tournament, we can make a bit more with NCAA credits.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I think so, theoretically, but practically they’re looking at 50 million per school and we are looking at 4.5 million per school.
Again, that’s not even remotely accurate, it’s a little bit above half that amount currently.

Again, that’s not even remotely accurate, it’s a little bit above half that amount currently.
I’m just quoting the article. I think it depends on which conference you take a look at. The SEC and the Big Ten are pretty close to 50 in media dollars alone, not including ballgame revenue, NCAA credits, etc. The difference is huge.

I’m just quoting the article. I think it depends on which conference you take a look at. The SEC and the Big Ten are pretty close to 50 in media dollars alone, not including ballgame revenue, NCAA credits, etc. The difference is huge.
I’m referencing the Big East FOX contract.

Reactions: CL82
It gets old arguing this point over and over again, but having read what SPK has stated in the past , was that Nova makes more than SHU based on I guess tax filings.
But the point of the article is the next contract , and I agree UConn adds value. Just the woman's team alone adds contract value.

Either way, taking away football and the money, it’s not even close what the basketball budgets are for the football schools. Just look at what they pay too coaches and staffs. Plenty of money trickles down. Football, of course, takes the lion’s share but that $50m a year goes a long way.

Either way, taking away football and the money, it’s not even close what the basketball budgets are for the football schools. Just look at what they pay too coaches and staffs. Plenty of money trickles down. Football, of course, takes the lion’s share but that $50m a year goes a long way.
That’s why UConn pursued D1 football. In the end that’s where the money is. Of course it’s only where the money is if you are in a P5 conference. So right now we are kind of in the worst of both worlds with P5 expenses and G5 earnings. Unless the athletic department can think of someway to better monetize the football team, it isn’t sustainable. Of course the first step in monetize on the football team is winning games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT