ADVERTISEMENT

The Impact of NIL and Conference Realignment - Brand Chaos and Cannibalization

CT Pirate

Freshman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
Seton Hall hoops and branding are real passions.

Being in the ad agency/branding business for decades, I always look for interesting stories to write about.
NIL and Conference realignment are daily facts of life for all us Setonia fans. It's an arms race and the Hall needs to keep up.

From the perspective of a branding pro and a Setonia fan, I penned an essay on how both NIL and Conference realignment are creating brand chaos and cannibalization in the college sports world. It's a major brand challenge that I question if athletic leaders are up for. Would love to know how you all think.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/college-sports-brand-chaos-cannibalization-impact-nil-bill-field

Last edited:
Excellent analysis and compilation. What the future holds.

I feel the Big East needs to fund our basketball teams to be the recipient's of major Brands. Without football teams, we are specialty schools.

Reactions: CT Pirate
Seton Hall hoops and branding are real passions.

Being in the ad agency/branding business for decades, I always look for interesting stories to write about.
NIL and Conference realignment are daily facts of life for all us Setonia fans. It's an arms race and the Hall needs to keep up.

From the perspective of a branding pro and a Setonia fan, I penned an essay on how both NIL and Conference realignment are creating brand chaos and cannibalization in the college sports world. It's a major brand challenge that I question if athletic leaders are up for. Would love to know how you all think.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/college-sports-brand-chaos-cannibalization-impact-nil-bill-field
about sums it up; I dont know the marketing and branding world, but certainly winning in high profile sports raises the schools (brands) recognition and stature...but less so, as you indicate as the "school" attached to the team becomes more and more irrelevant...

I also worry about the gambling aspect of all of this...pay NIL salaries...transfers going to "build: powerhouses...perhaps all one day at the behest of a high stakes gambler...and god forbid if they dont come thru...

I thought it was a good commentary. This quote I thought was a nice summary of the current circumstances: Brand traditions, borne out of decades-long battles anticipated and played annually, are in jeopardy.

Conference rivalries and critical conference games are the bread and butter of what makes college sports so riveting. Mega conferences that lack any geographic logic to them dilute the value of conference games. Essentially, conference realignment is, in effect, "commoditizing" games, taking away the uniqueness of battling the same schools located within driving distance of each other's fanbases.

Anyway, I thought your piece was an interesting read.

Excellent analysis and compilation. What the future holds.

I feel the Big East needs to fund our basketball teams to be the recipient's of major Brands. Without football teams, we are specialty schools.
Thanks. Interesting perspective about the notion of specialty schools.

I thought it was a good commentary. This quote I thought was a nice summary of the current circumstances: Brand traditions, borne out of decades-long battles anticipated and played annually, are in jeopardy.

Conference rivalries and critical conference games are the bread and butter of what makes college sports so riveting. Mega conferences that lack any geographic logic to them dilute the value of conference games. Essentially, conference realignment is, in effect, "commoditizing" games, taking away the uniqueness of battling the same schools located within driving distance of each other's fanbases.

Anyway, I thought your piece was an interesting read.
Thanks. I enjoy your banter and the exchange we have from time to time. The rivalry aspect is something that the mega conferences are overlooking.

Reactions: CL82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT