ADVERTISEMENT

The problem with lawsuits

shu09

All Universe
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2006
Michigan parents sue for $100 million over the recent school shooting there. According to the article, none of the defendants named are the shooter or his parents.

Garbage suits like this are why good people don't want to work in public service or education. Imagine you're a school district employee and you get sued because some nutjob student shot up the school. This is a gross money grab. Blame the guy who actually pulled the trigger! But of course, there's no money in that now is there?!

Michigan parents sue for $100 million over the recent school shooting there. According to the article, none of the defendants named are the shooter or his parents.

Garbage suits like this are why good people don't want to work in public service or education. Imagine you're a school district employee and you get sued because some nutjob student shot up the school. This is a gross money grab. Blame the guy who actually pulled the trigger! But of course, there's no money in that now is there?!

Haven’t had a chance to read the link, but the individual teachers/employees won’t be at risk here for this type of scenario, in all likelihood (if not for certain). If they are named as defendants they will have to deal with that aspect of course, which is unfortunate if they were not negligent and did nothing wrong. Even if not they could be subject to a deposition or other discovery, which isn’t pleasant. But this type of suit is really all about the District assets and insurance coverage. And the employees named will most likely have their defense funded by the District or its insurer(s).

Btw, the bad actors don’t get named as defendants in many situations. Why? No assets and no money, which it seems these folks don’t have. And the bad actors themselves almost never have insurance coverage for this situation. You see this with the clergy/institutional abuse suits all the time.

Btw, the bad actors don’t get named as defendants in many situations. Why? No assets and no money, which it seems these folks don’t have.

Exactly, which is my point. It's a pure money grab. If they were interested in justice or even revenge against those responsible, they would target those actually responsible.

Exactly, which is my point. It's a pure money grab. If they were interested in justice or even revenge against those responsible, they would target those actually responsible.

Money would do nothing for me if my kid was murdered, but I'd pass more judgement on the idiots who bought their psycho kid a gun, than those grieving.

The American gun obsession is pathetic.

Often you are correct. Sometimes revenge against the institution that caused the injury/death or allowed the circumstances to exist (even condoned it) is a form of revenge and justice achieved by compensation (ie, money). And of course helping the DA/prosecutor to pursue criminal charges also achieves that goal.

Seems like a legitimate lawsuit to me. The school has a duty to keep their students protected. In this case they failed miserably. After the meeting with the parents, the kid should have been removed from school and psychiatric treatment should have been mandated.

That failure was a direct cause of the shooter being allowed to terrorize the school. Yes, people sue the school because the school has insurance and have deep pockets. The shooter has no money and the parents probably don’t have any either. That’s what a civil law suit is about the collection of money as damaged for a civil wrong.

Seems like a legitimate lawsuit to me. The school has a duty to keep their students protected. In this case they failed miserably. After the meeting with the parents, the kid should have been removed from school and psychiatric treatment should have been mandated.

That failure was a direct cause of the shooter being allowed to terrorize the school. Yes, people sue the school because the school has insurance and have deep pockets. The shooter has no money and the parents probably don’t have any either. That’s what a civil law suit is about the collection of money as damaged for a civil wrong.
Where the institution acted in a negligent manner, absolutely it is appropriate for the institution to be a target, and a civil action is the vehicle to pursue that. Does the system create perverse incentives sometimes - of course which is what 09 was really alluding to, I think.

Will likely be settled out of court. Hopefully the proceeds go to a foundation with a mission to prevent future occurrences. Then again ,it could end up as vacation home for the family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT