ADVERTISEMENT

The schedule

Personally I do not want to play Rutgers this season. Not fair that we would have a home game in front of no one and then next season have to go back to their pit.
This won’t be popular with most RU folks, but if I were running RU I would agree to play at Seton Hall this year and next. RU is finally at the level of Seton Hall (I realize you will all disagree with that), and this game should be played every year. I also don’t think SHU would agree to play without fans this year and return to a sold out RAC next year. One school has to give a little to make this game happen, and if I were Pike I would figure out a way to make this game happen.

This won’t be popular with most RU folks, but if I were running RU I would agree to play at Seton Hall this year and next. RU is finally at the level of Seton Hall (I realize you will all disagree with that), and this game should be played every year. I also don’t think SHU would agree to play without fans this year and return to a sold out RAC next year. One school has to give a little to make this game happen, and if I were Pike I would figure out a way to make this game happen.
if they are at our level why would they play @shu 2 yrs in a row?

There was another thread not too long ago (but long enough ago that I can't find it in recent threads) that mentioned other MTEs, and there was mention of an NJ tournament with FDU, SPU, another school, and an open slot. Perhaps that slot was kept open for us in case Orlando fell through? Disney prints money, why are they all of a sudden getting stingy and forcing schools to pay for extra testing? If ESPN wanted these events so bad they should pay for it. I'm thinking the Mouse's legal team blew this up. So much for proving how great a bubble they could have after the NBA success, and now they'll lay off even more people instead.

I'm having trouble understanding, why are the "optics" better at Prudential Center when having 150 fans in the stands just guarantees that everybody involved loses money? Wouldn't 10k empty seats look worse than 2k? I'd imagine it's probably not even worth it for The Rock to even turn the lights on at that point, and a school struggling for money in the pandemic, why should we sink deeper into debt when it sounds like the program is going to need all the donations they can get just to pay expenses through the year? Just play in empty Walsh. Perhaps a split season arrangement between the two like the old days as a compromise?

I think RU happens at a neutral MTE or not at all this year. This is our version of the UK-UL fight. It's unfair to play in empty building then go back to a packed RAC next year. As much as I'd like to see them play, I think it's fair to pause the series for a year.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
There was another thread not too long ago (but long enough ago that I can't find it in recent threads) that mentioned other MTEs, and there was mention of an NJ tournament with FDU, SPU, another school, and an open slot. Perhaps that slot was kept open for us in case Orlando fell through? Disney prints money, why are they all of a sudden getting stingy and forcing schools to pay for extra testing? If ESPN wanted these events so bad they should pay for it. I'm thinking the Mouse's legal team blew this up. So much for proving how great a bubble they could have after the NBA success, and now they'll lay off even more people instead.

I'm having trouble understanding, why are the "optics" better at Prudential Center when having 150 fans in the stands just guarantees that everybody involved loses money? Wouldn't 10k empty seats look worse than 2k? I'd imagine it's probably not even worth it for The Rock to even turn the lights on at that point, and a school struggling for money in the pandemic, why should we sink deeper into debt when it sounds like the program is going to need all the donations they can get just to pay expenses through the year? Just play in empty Walsh. Perhaps a split season arrangement between the two like the old days as a compromise?

I think RU happens at a neutral MTE or not at all this year. This is our version of the UK-UL fight. It's unfair to play in empty building then go back to a packed RAC next year. As much as I'd like to see them play, I think it's fair to pause the series for a year.
Because there is not a CYO looking stage in the Rock.

Reactions: sami
Personally I do not want to play Rutgers this season. Not fair that we would have a home game in front of no one and then next season have to go back to their pit.

We are playing Penn State on the road in front of no audience and get a return game. I think it would be petty to take this approach with Rutgers.

Because I want the game to happen, and I don’t believe Seton Hall will agree to playing at home this year and at the RAC next year. Maybe, I’m wrong and Willard would be willing to do that.
why would you want to play an extra game that you are more likely to lose? if i were RU i would look at neutral first. if it cant happen just skip the year.

it really wont matter anyway

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I'm having trouble understanding, why are the "optics" better at Prudential Center when having 150 fans in the stands just guarantees that everybody involved loses money? Wouldn't 10k empty seats look worse than 2k?
Have you seen the tv broadcasts from Walsh? The camera vantage points are just plain not good. And on top of that, it looks like a cheap high school gym. Playing your games in a professional arena with higher broadcast standards of course will look better. That's what they mean when they say "optics."

The only downside is the cost.

why would you want to play an extra game that you are more likely to lose? if i were RU i would look at neutral first. if it cant happen just skip the year.

it really wont matter anyway
I’m of the belief this won’t be a full season, but never do I want to hear we backed down from a challenge. That’s for losers.

JP here to chime in with two things--I see both sides on the Walsh vs. Rock argument. 10K empty seats looks worse than 2K-plus (just look at how sad MetLife looks on Sundays on TV, and I'm not even factoring in the football being played there by the locals), but yeah, the TV sightlines are so much better in Newark than in South Orange. It's a much better visual product that way.

Also, as was said on another thread, I know he's still got a long road of rehab ahead of him, but man, it is great to see Dan posting and starting threads. That made my day, Dan. Honest. Hang in there and just keep grinding.

I’m of the belief this won’t be a full season, but never do I want to hear we backed down from a challenge. That’s for losers.
I am not convinced we would lose, and I am positive Pike and his players don’t think they would most likely lose.

nah every single winning team avoids games that arent favorable for them. thats the position you get in as a winner. turning down games is for winners.

150 cap is not including spectators whatsoever

Translated: we hoped to put on as many of our typically organized and run Nov college basketball events as possibly because we are part of mighty Disney and we had infrastructure of venues and broadcast setup already in place and this would have kept our costs down, however we should have shown and had greater transparency with impetus on all scenarios surrounding covid protocols across all conference member Institutions we sought to fill vacancies and gain committments from in filling up these fields....now unfortunately some low level frontline staffers will be losing their jobs but the money saved in projected salary cuts will be dispersed to the mighty few in our executive hierarchy

What a wild ride this has been. I'm not sure what has been so difficult about setting up a few bubble scenarios to get in some non-conference games.

One would think that would've been the easiest part of scheduling considering you had so many months to plan, in addition to them being the first events of the season, meaning teams are coming directly from being essentially quarantined on their campuses.

To be this late and having this implode does not bode well.

Reactions: deheremike
I’m totally with Dan on us not playing RU this year . It’s a rivalry game and one that should attract a large crowd at the Rock and that means increased revenues for SH but the inability to have , for all practical purposes, any fans is sufficient reason to cancel the game till next year. Plus it’s a game that usually attracts a number of our local recruiting targets and that’s an important showcase for us.

As for RU, to me, I would be fine if they played game at the RAC this year (assuming no or very limited fans)...but wouldn't it more interesting to play it at a neutral venue, i.e. Trenton, Long Branch (Monmouth) or Atlantic City. Why is that so hard?

As for RU, to me, I would be fine if they played game at the RAC this year (assuming no or very limited fans)...but wouldn't it more interesting to play it at a neutral venue, i.e. Trenton, Long Branch (Monmouth) or Atlantic City. Why is that so hard?

I don’t think those buildings want all that comes with opening up amid the pandemic, and doing it for 150 people.

As for Monmouth, with all the precautions that have to be taken for their own people on campus, why would they want to bring in outsiders from two other campuses?

Reactions: HallB
The teams in Orlando could not get on the same page with testing protocols. Too bad. But good that they pulled the plug early to allow some Extra time for teams to find games if they want to.

Have you seen the tv broadcasts from Walsh? The camera vantage points are just plain not good. And on top of that, it looks like a cheap high school gym. Playing your games in a professional arena with higher broadcast standards of course will look better. That's what they mean when they say "optics."

The only downside is the cost.

Cost is a pretty big downside. When you’re pinching pennies everywhere else and have a choice of living in a paid off older house that needs some work but has no mortgage, or living in a nicer house with a hefty rent bill, which is the more prudent thing to do for your long term financial health, especially when you’re trying to save up to build your own new house? (and asking for money from all your friends to build said house.)

I totally get the production/camera angles limitations at Walsh, but would say, using the entire seating area one one side upstairs instead of just the press box help some of the angles maybe? I’m not sure how feasible that is with electrical line availability, same with bleachers staying folded in across from the benches. I’m throwing stuff against a wall, I know. It just seems A bit fiscally irresponsible to me to spend money we don’t have to rent an empty arena then turn around and put your hand out asking for alumni who are also struggling to cough up more money for a practice facility. We don’t have hundreds of millions in state funding to throw away or bajillion dollar endowments. Before you ask, yes I donate to PB, and I bought a Walsh chair, so I have put up money to support the program, but I know not everyone can these days.

Play in Walsh this year so you can put the limited funds towards getting through this mess, put any additional savings towards the practice facility.

Metal Pirate certainly makes sense, but I’m thinking they could implement the digital audience to fill in the empty seats the way the NBA did and pipe in some crowd noise as well.

Speaking about The Rock, that is.

Metal Pirate certainly makes sense, but I’m thinking they could implement the digital audience to fill in the empty seats the way the NBA did and pipe in some crowd noise as well.

Speaking about The Rock, that is.
That costs money, fox wants to spend on fs1 for 200k viewers a game maybe?

I don’t think those buildings want all that comes with opening up amid the pandemic, and doing it for 150 people.

As for Monmouth, with all the precautions that have to be taken for their own people on campus, why would they want to bring in outsiders from two other campuses?
Only way this would make sense for someone like Monmouth to host SHU-RU, make it a 4 team 2 game event. So SHU vs Rutgers & Monmouth vs say FDU, and day 2 the winners and losers play, so Monmouth gets a decent team on their home floor.

Like metal pirate said, can’t the camera angle issue be addressed by putting them somewhere in the stands since no one is at the game? And there are plenty of ways to cover up the stage that would make it where only we at fans would know it’s there.

im all for the rock if it makes sense but I think people are being too hard on Walsh when we are talking about an empty arena we can be creative about (and by saving on rent we have a little to spend to cover up any visual issues)

Reactions: metalpirate07
Willard has said often that he doesn't like playing in Walsh. They never practice there and for some reason they don’t shoot well there. Its not just sight lines.

Reactions: papacheesy2
Willard has said often that he doesn't like playing in Walsh. They never practice there and for some reason they don’t shoot well there. Its not just sight lines.
its those rubber rims that brick to the parking lot

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT