ADVERTISEMENT

The Top 20 - Georgetown

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

In no particular order

1. Word for the day
Ouch. As in my eyes hurt. BADLY.

2. The reason
Have to believe that Richmond is hurting. Once I saw him grab his ankle during the game. I think that is the reason he did not have one hard drive to the basket ending in a missed layup.

3. However....
Odukale took up Richmond's slack with exactly 10 Kamikaze drives to the basket, with 2 resulting in made baskets. How do I know? Being curious I did something I rarely do. I re-watched the game on TV before writing my Top 20.

4. Short wait
Last time the Pirates were at the Rock the fans waited nearly 10 minutes to see the Hall score their first field goal. Last night the wait was 17 seconds.

5. Save the government money
It cost over 1/2 million dollars to shoot down objects in the sky over America. Maybe a better idea would be to have Dawes take a jump shot and do the same.

6. I want to get home
Again, as seems to be the norm, the media had to wait for an enormously long time for Holloway to appear in the post game. FWIW Sha apologized saying he wanted to talk to Richmond first.

7. Not McDermott
Ewing in comparison to the Creighton coach last week is nowhere near as demonstrative. But the way the refs can be intimidated is that really a good thing? Seems like the Hoya coach is quietly playing out the string.

8. Can't shoot foul shots
Georgetown missed their first 2. But then hit their last 16.

9. Can't shoot foul shots part 2
Seton Hall missed 4 of their first 5 foul shots but then went 27 for 32 from that point on.

10. Cancer
What a great tribute at the Rock. During a stoppage of play the fans were asked to stand up while the cameras spanned the crowd who were holding up signs given to them for supporting cancer research. Those fans will be given a shirt worn by the players over their uniforms as a thank you.

FpBs1J6XgAEvG7V

11. The yips
Harris is so intimated on the court that if he misses his first shot from the arc, which he did by taking an ill advised deep three, it's almost a given that he will continue to miss the rest of the game from distance. 0-3 from the arc was the result with the other two misses very clean looks that did not come close.

12. Lucky guess
Sitting next to Harty9 I told him that the two teams looked to have turned over the ball 10 times each in the first half. In the post game looking at the halftime stats there were 20 TOs, split eveningly.

13. It was a gray night.
How great do those colored uniforms look?

14. Hero ball
This time on the other side of the court. Primo Spears is a VERY talented young man. But short of a few minutes during Georgetown's late run he was out of control all night. 19 shots with 6 makes.

15. Finally
It took forever, 29:03 to be exact, for the Hoyas hit their first three. That started a string of 6 makes in the last 11 minutes to keep the game close.

16. Why
I understand why Samuel didn't play down the stretch as Georgetown had all their 3 point shooters on the court. But what's up with his playing only 28 minutes in a game where he led the team with a +13?

17. Wire to wire
The closest Georgetown got last night was 10-10. They play hard, so give them credit. But they are an absolute mess on the court.

18. Where the hell are the students
I understand it's Valentine's Day. I understand the team is coming off 2 losses. And I further understand this was Georgetown as the opponent at 6PM. But 'maybe' 100 kids in the stands. That is absolutely pitiful.

19. First half flew by but....
The second half became a foul-fest and led to 97 points being scored in a game where one team shot 36.5% from the field and the other, 41.5%.

20. Looking ahead
We are not beating UConn Saturday and doubtful Providence on the road either. So we must protect our homecourt and then do damage in the Big East Tournament to go Dancing. That is going to be a very tall order.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.