ADVERTISEMENT

The Top 20 - Marquette

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
In no particular order

1. The bottom 20
You think your job is hard, come up with 20 top moments for yesterday.

2. Expletive not deleted
Holloway in the post game..."you practice like shit you play like shit"

3. Expletive deleted
The post game ended with Zagoria asking about Yetna. After a response from coach filled with words best not posted here and with a comment that he is through for the year the post game press conference ended.

4. Say what?
Chew on these stats. 50% (3-6) from the arc. 80% (4-5) from the stripe, 58% from the field and yet the Pirates scored 29 points in the first half and were down by 8.

5. Balance is not always good
Every single player other than Sanders who played less than 3 minutes either had 2 or 3 turnovers. That 9 other players.

6. Sacrificial lamb
Give credit to Tyrese Samuel. He took the bullet appearing in the post game by himself.

7. How many?
4 to be exact. That's how many shot clock violations the team had. And in 3 of those cases they scored almost as the buzzer sounded. Conversely Marquette threw up two ridiculous shots as the shot clock buzzer went off and both hit nothing but net for 5 points. It was that kind of afternoon.

8. The players on the Hall who had good games
Tae Davis. Played a solid 15+ minutes and was only a -3.

9. Not always accurate but this time.....it was
As I saw it the worse player on the court was Dawes as his shot selection was again brutal. 1-6 from the arc and that basket was pure luck as the ball hit the rim bounced high in the air and went in. If not Dawes would have been at -24. As it was he still 'led' the team in that category.

10. Ouch
Twice in the second half Richmond went to the locker room. When asked by Carino what happened we got the usual response from the coach. Ask Tony Testa as Holloway claimed he didn't know anything was wrong with his star point.

FWIW, at around the 8 minute timeout Richmond tried to go back in the game but an assistant coach pulled him back.

11. Questioned answered
I asked Sha if the UConn victory caused a letdown with the players in this game. His response...... "We kind of got back down to earth. The guys got big-headed, and we got humbled quick. That’s what happens when you get big-headed. You get humbled quick."

12. Value the #$%@ing ball
Need I say more? How many unforced turnovers can a team have in a game? And yet we assisted on every basket made in the game but 3.

13. Credit where credit is due
It's not just talent. It's practicing like a vintage Jay Wright Nova team. Every single Marquette player is in constant movement and whomever has the ball knows exactly where his teammates are. I can't even begin to count how many semi blind passes were made to open players yesterday. Some 20 feet or more and a good deal of them crosscourt. That's not by accident.

14. When you're having a tough year.
Harris can't buy a shot this season and even when he hits one from distance it gets waived off as his make came about 1/3 of a second after the shot clock expired.

15. Not only in the stands but on the court
That really wasn't Kam Jones with the #1 uniform on his back for Marquette yesterday. That actually was Jeremy Hazell incognito. Jeremy did double duty as he was also honored by the Hall at halftime.

16. Are you kidding me?
Points off turnovers
Marquette 34
SHU 6
And let's not forgive Marquette here as they had a robust 17 turnovers themselves.

17. If it wasn't Jones it was.....
POTG Ighodaro who didn't miss a field goal attempt while scoring 18 points and also blocking 2 shots, grabbing 6 caroms and being credited with 3 steals. Totally outplayed SHU's two headed center, Samuel and Jackson.

18. Maybe I'm being a little too harsh
Richmond actually wasn't that bad yesterday short of a few silly turnovers. But for the Hall to beat quality teams not that bad isn't going to cut the mustard.

19. The best
I know they're in 2nd place but Marquette right now is the best team in the conference. Call them Villanova light.

20. Bye, (bye)
The Hall is now off for a week and it couldn't come at a better time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.