ADVERTISEMENT

This kid is literally in our front/back yard

Adam Silver said a couple years ago that the one and done rule would be eliminated by 2022. That seems to be stalled with the formation of the ignite g league team but I wouldn’t be surprised to see hs kids in the draft by 2024.

if not I think u see it eliminated for sure in the next cba in 2025.

The thing that stands out there most to me is the flat footed unathletic defense by that opposing team. I would how he would look against decent defenders?

Last edited:
Great ball handling, very selfish and a terrible shooter. Really needs to improve his decision making and shooting.

For a kid who is not even in high school yet but plays for his national U16 team??

For a kid who is not even in high school yet but plays for his national U16 team??
I had to stop watching the video after he was 2 for 6 (mostly bunnies) and didn't give one glance to his teammates. Like I said, "great ball handling" "needs to improve his decision making and shooting".

I had to stop watching the video after he was 2 for 6 (mostly bunnies) and didn't give one glance to his teammates. Like I said, "great ball handling" "needs to improve his decision making and shooting".
He had plenty of dishes later on. Had trouble finishing against older players and his outside shooting isn't a strong point but then again, what is he, 14 years old in those videos?

He's 16 now and a sophomore, Class of 2024, at Bergen Catholic. Has a Seton Hall offer already.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikewalsh
He works with NBA trainer DJ Sackmann constantly, who is based in Wyckoff, NJ. Hopefully he will stay local since it seems DJ is already a big influence on his development!! Give him a look on his Instagram page. Elliot is in at least 3-4 videos a week on his page.

DJ Sackmann … former Pequannock Panther …. Wonder how one becomes a NBA trainer?
Work with enough great young players who eventually become pros. But being a great teacher is a skill. And constantly looking for ways to be innovative is what gets people coming back.

Reactions: DIMEDISHA13
Does anyone have any info on why this West Orange kid goes to Bergen Catholic and not SHP? While we're at it, I'd like to ask the same question about another West Orange kid, Kyrie Irving.

Does anyone have any info on why this West Orange kid goes to Bergen Catholic and not SHP? While we're at it, I'd like to ask the same question about another West Orange kid, Kyrie Irving.

Because one school actively recruits and another doesn’t?

The NJ parochial schools attract kids from all over regardless of home towns depending on the sports they play and other situations. The days of going to your nearest Catholic school ended decades ago.

Because one school actively recruits and another doesn’t?

The NJ parochial schools attract kids from all over regardless of home towns depending on the sports they play and other situations. The days of going to your nearest Catholic school ended decades ago.
See Rashan Gary from Scotch Plains who went to Paramus Catholic, LOL.

He looks damn good to me. He's young and can improve his shot.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
See Rashan Gary from Scotch Plains who went to Paramus Catholic, LOL.

That's not even the craziest example of the private school athlete super commuters. Just a few more off the top of my head in no particular order:
Minka Fitzpatrick (Old Bridge to Jersey City - St Peter's Prep football)
Alex Rice (Tinton Falls to JC - St Anthony's)
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (Somerdale to Elizabeth/St Pat's - 75 miles one way!)
our own Grant Billmeier (Pennington to St Pat's)

It's not limited to just athletes. Heck, I went to school at the Jersey Shore with a guy who commuted from Brooklyn! I think his parents worked in the area or something, and they had enough money to send a car service when they couldn't pick him up.
Nearly every non-public school recruits, and the ones that don't actively do it, or don't kiss the kids butts and promise guaranteed playing time fall behind the ones that do, like my alma mater which is no longer a high school basketball powerhouse for just this reason. The days of an athletic kid going to the neighborhood catholic school are LONG gone, and so are most of those neighborhood schools themselves.

Bergen Catholic is stacked with Division 1 talent. Will Richardson their senior guard just put out his Top 5 but we didn’t make the cut; Stanford, Vandy, Iona, NW, forgot the other. But was offered by higher D1 programs. Copeland I think is a Junior recently got an offer from Creighton. Another guard Brown is picking up D1 offers too.
Their coach played at Davidson and seems to relate well to the kids.
Their rival Don Bosco is regularly putting kids in D1 too; they have one of the top Sophs or juniors in the nation I believe as well.
This is totally different compared when I went to BC and Bergen county would maybe pump out 1-2 D1 players every other year.

Any one know why certain Catholic High Schools actively recruit sports talent? Do they benefit financially from having powerhouse teams? Does it promote alumni giving?

Any one know why certain Catholic High Schools actively recruit sports talent? Do they benefit financially from having powerhouse teams? Does it promote alumni giving?

This is a good irony-filled starting point:

According to Roman Catholic theology, the seven deadly sins are the seven behaviours or feelings that inspire further sin. They are typically ordered as: pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, and sloth.

Reactions: batts
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT