ADVERTISEMENT

Too much drama

I will say this. The thing I liked most about when Jordan Walker announced his commitment, he kept it straightforward and simple, just like the way Isaiah did when he announced his commitment to SHU. No elaborate commitment videos, no gimmicks.

Last edited:
That's the thing to do now. There was a football recruit (Duke I think) who put out a 4 min mini-movie to announce his commitment. Kids are gonna get creative and possibly more bombastic with this

For far too many of the elite players in BB and FB it's become almost a contest as to who can have the most spectacular show when the player announces his college choice and sadly too many times it's the father who orcastrates the signing show.

I guess we're lucky in one respect in that they haven't come up with a reality TV show focusing on which player had the best announcement in the past week.

I loved Shas signing on MSG. Nice simple memorable.

That was the first time I recall seeing a HS kid make an announcement like that. Mike Quick show if I remember correctly. I think that is now 20+ years ago. Crazy.

Reactions: BabyBlue
Remember the first time an NFL player spiked the football in the end zone after a TD and everyone was aghast. Then there were the dances, and then fake selfies and players doing everything imaginable to out do each other all for the sake of look at me publicity. That's the world we live in now and clearly it has seeped down to the college and HS levels.

Best to just live with it because the situation is going to get far worse as the years progress.

It's not just sports and it's not just the younger generations.

Self-worship has become a - if not "the" - defining feature of 2017 America. Cuts across all demographics, regions and walks of life these days.

And, yes, it's only going to get worse. What else can you expect from millennials and Gen Z if their grannies are baby boomers. It's been a long but steady march down from the 1960s to today.

Remember the first time an NFL player spiked the football in the end zone after a TD and everyone was aghast. Then there were the dances, and then fake selfies and players doing everything imaginable to out do each other all for the sake of look at me publicity. That's the world we live in now and clearly it has seeped down to the college and HS levels.

Best to just live with it because the situation is going to get far worse as the years progress.

Humility is a much misunderstood and under-manifested virtue.

Ya know, to me the most awesome thing would be someone in the NFL scoring a touchdown and flipping the ball to the ref. But in this day and age of branding and sports TV I doubt that's the 2017 modus operandi for the current crop of athletes.

Ya know, to me the most awesome thing would be someone in the NFL scoring a touchdown and flipping the ball to the ref. But in this day and age of branding and sports TV I doubt that's the 2017 modus operandi for the current crop of athletes.
Barry Sanders

To me, Isaiah has the right combination of humility and flair. So there is hope for the current generation... :)

as do Angel, Kadeen, Ish, Desi and Mike for that matter...... they seem to be cut from the same cloth.... (& coach)

Last edited:
Reactions: Seton00 and ShuVol
To me, Isaiah has the right combination of humility and flair. So there is hope for the current generation... :)

as do Angel, Kadeen, Ish, Desi and Mike for that matter...... they seem to be cut from the same cloth.... (& coach)
That's the kind of cloth that makes a great suit and a great program.

I didn't take the article personally and I am certainly not jealous, just thought what he said in the article was a little over the top. I am expecting an announcement as candidate for US President after reading that.

All good, let him have his fun, he deserves it.

It's not that big of a deal.

I didn't take the article personally and I am certainly not jealous, just thought what he said in the article was a little over the top. I am expecting an announcement as candidate for US President after reading that.

All good, let him have his fun, he deserves it.

It's not that big of a deal.

Thinking that this process has been dragged out and interpreting the quotes from Duval to be over the top has nothing to do with jealousy. No need to explain yourself. You're not alone.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
Yea when my team scores and does a dope celebration it makes it more fun. Think of the fund.

This is different, this is much worse. But they're in high school so it makes sense they wanna blow themselves up.

Love Isiah but if you don't think his "commitment" was surrounded by drama you don't know the situation.

I will say this. The thing I liked most about when Jordan Walker announced his commitment, he kept it straightforward and simple, just like the way Isaiah did when he announced his commitment to SHU. No elaborate commitment videos, no gimmicks.

Reactions: Pirate6711
These kids have been taught is what they need to do to get attention in this orld. You have people telling them no one will notice you unless you make a scene. I personally don't have a Problem with it as to some aspects these people are correct. Sure a quality Athlete will get noticed by a coach or team, but down the road only the players that seem to get attention for endorsements and commercials are the players that did something that grabs everyone's attention.

Reactions: Joe_T
Sanders retired 18 years ago...not quite this day and age.

Whoa. Seems like yesterday he retired. One of the greats of all time. It was a pleasure to watch him run. . . .and stop, then switch direction and then Run again.

Reactions: Bluebeard
For many of today's college athletes it's become almost a ritual for the antics they perform to bring attention upon themselves and it's always about them on the court or field or whatever the athletic venue is. I have come to believe that the epidemic of transfers in college BB is just another manifestation of wanting the spotlight on them and if they don't get it at one school they look for another and in some cases another after that.

Sanders retired 18 years ago...not quite this day and age.
IMO the closest thing there is to how Sanders did it in the major pro sports these days is Kawhi Leonard. That guy is a top 5 player in the league and you wouldn't know it by the way he acts (thankfully). I can watch him play ALL DAY long. He brings it on both ends of the court, never showboats, just jogs back to the huddle and gives casual high 5's to his teammates. Truly a blessing in today's day and age...

So it can be done...and if you have not watched him at all, take the time to do it, you will not regret it.

Just one example was Game 4 in their 1st Round series with Memphis. He absolutely took over the game in the 4th quarter. They ended up losing in OT, but he was hitting big shot after big shot and also had most of his 6 steals in that quarter. He calmly walked back to huddles, etc, or when he hit yet another shot just ran to the other end to play defense without so much as a fist pump... Mike Conley on the other hand when he hit some daggers down the stretch and in OT (for Memphis) kept posing for the crowd, "look at me" type of stuff that almost everyone does these days. Leonard had a look to win it at the end of regulation, missed, and once again just jogged back to the bench. Had he hit the shot he would have done the exact same thing.

Wish there were more big time athletes like him...

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
We elected PT Barnum president. Yesterday the leaders of one party were celebrating a meaningless thing like it was DDay. And we bitch about athletes making meaningless celebratory gestures. lofl

My Dad thought the Mick was a show off.

All of our guys pose, and to a man, imo, they are great kids.

You guys remind me of my wife, ex hippie, bitching about kids with tattoos, or a kid I grew up with who had hair to his ass saying 25 yrs ago if his son ever had a Mohawk, he would kick his ass. Which was exactly what his Dad said about long hair.

My Mom's Mom was shocked that my Dad, who played tennis, showed up to pick up my Mom after playing tennis with short pants on.

And so it goes...

My Dad thought the Mick was a show off.

Well then dad was obviously a Yankee hater because no athlete I ever watched was less demonstrative on the athletic field. Same with Walt Frazier my other favorite athlete. Although off the court was a different story for Clyde, his alter ego.

Reactions: PiratePride
Not that it is going to happen, but if Tre really wants to make a splash, announcing for Duke at this point is going to really be anti climatic. I mean OK you did what everyone thought you were going to do. Big deal...But if he really wants to blow everybody away. He sits on a Dias with all of the hats in front of him. Pauses and grabs for the Puke hat, but instead, picks up the SHU hat, puts it on and says "I am a Pirate" ha ha!

Watch hockey...very little showboating.
LOL

Hockey is a great sport to watch in person. It loses a lot on TV.

Only issue I have is the gratuitous violence. Last night Rangers dominate so of course at the end of the game Otttowa feels the need to man up and start fights all over the rink.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT