ADVERTISEMENT

Trevon Bluiett in line to be next year’s Josh Hart

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
1. Trevon Bluiett is in line to be next year’s Josh Hart

Twelve months ago Hart opted to return to Villanova instead of leaving school early for the NBA Draft. Now Bluiett is doing the exact same thing for Xavier.

Like Hart, Bluiett is expected to be the Big East Preseason Player of the Year entering next season, returning to a team that has several key pieces back from last season’s squad that reached the Elite Eight and lost to Gonzaga.

The 6-6 wing averaged 18.5 points and 5.7 rebounds last season as a junior, all while making 91 shots from long distance. Bluiett also scored 25 points in the Musketeers’ Sweet 16 upset of Arizona.

It will be interesting to see if Chris Mack uses the Indianapolis native as a skilled four-man rather than a traditional small forward, given Bluiett’s ability to create mismatches on offense.

If he mans the “four,” Xavier will need another perimeter player, potentially either Paul Scruggs or Naji Marshall (both top-100 freshmen) to be consistent enough to earn regular minutes alongside veterans Quentin Goodin and J.P. Macura.

2. UCF is a sleeper NCAA Tournament team with the return of Tacko Fall

How do you hide a 7-6 big man?.....................

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothstein-files-trevon-bluiett-line-next-years-josh-hart/

Why not Desi Rodriguez to be a Josh Hart type of player? I think Desi gets overlooked. If he's fully matured, he can be very good this year. No reason he can't be a 2nd Team All conference type of player.

Blueitt has been 1st team All BE for the past 2 years, so it's not crazy to think he could be preseason POY

Reactions: shupat08
Could make arguments for any of Brunson, Blueitt or Angel For POY although I'd rank them in that order.

I said same thing about Blueitt being the new Josh Hart a few days ago. Desi has the talent but doesn't quite have the same leadership and ability to make others around him better. Blueitt and Hart are both guys that find ways to beat you even if not shooting well. Desi has to raise his game to that level.

Maybe it's just me. But Blueitt has never really impressed me when we've played them. Especially at The Rock.

Bluiett finished the year averaging over 20 points per game in the NCAA tournament against some really good teams. I'm sure the exposure he got from the 4 NCAA tournament games is going to continue to give him some positive press the entire offseason.

Bluiett is a great scorer; maybe a better scorer than Hart. Doesn't have the all around game yet.

All 3 guys mentioned are the favorites for POY, and it is probably a three-horse race. As mentioned in another thread, picking the next two is near impossible, given how many quality players are in this conference. Foster, Martin, Bullock/Cartwright, Deanno/Desi, Ponds/Lovett, Howard, Bridges (if he makes the leap people think), Spellman (if as good as people think) and the list goes on.

Bluiett finished the year averaging over 20 points per game in the NCAA tournament against some really good teams. I'm sure the exposure he got from the 4 NCAA tournament games is going to continue to give him some positive press the entire offseason.

Maybe it's just me. But Blueitt has never really impressed me when we've played them. Especially at The Rock.
He did really well against us with 24 & 7 including the game-winner at Xavier. Then he was hobbled by an ankle injury in the 2nd game we beat them at home.

His play in the NCAAs got him a lot of national attention. Averaged 25 per game against Maryland, Florida St and Arizona to get a bubble team to the Elite 8 until Gonzaga shut him down.

He did really well against us with 24 & 7 including the game-winner at Xavier. Then he was hobbled by an ankle injury in the 2nd game we beat them at home.

His play in the NCAAs got him a lot of national attention. Averaged 25 per game against Maryland, Florida St and Arizona to get a bubble team to the Elite 8 until Gonzaga shut him down.

Ugh. Thanks for reminding me about that away game. Idk why I forgot about it.

Bluiett is expected to be pre season BE POY? I thought it was between Brunson and Delgado...
Yeah, that comment surprised me. I would think that Brunson and Delgado slightly lead Bluiett.

Why not Desi Rodriguez to be a Josh Hart type of player? I think Desi gets overlooked. If he's fully matured, he can be very good this year. No reason he can't be a 2nd Team All conference type of player.
I think you answered your own question. 2nd Team All conference type of player is no BE PoY Josh Hart type.

I really hope Desi can put a huge Sr season together. For me there are still too many games where he disappears. He needs to be much more consistent this year and keep his foot on the gas as far as aggressiveness.

And it's not a knock on a kid to say he isn't Josh Hart or Bluiett.

I think you answered your own question. 2nd Team All conference type of player is no BE PoY Josh Hart type.

I really hope Desi can put a huge Sr season together. For me there are still too many games where he disappears. He needs to be much more consistent this year and keep his foot on the gas as far as aggressiveness.

Rodriquez has more physical tools than Hart but he must maximize that talent to be mentioned in the same breath as the reigning Big East POY.

And it's not a knock on a kid to say he isn't Josh Hart or Bluiett.
I completely agree. You could do a lot worse than being just a shade below a Josh Hart type. I agree with HallDan that all the tools for Desi to be a great player are there. He just needs to keep the motor running at maximum capacity more often (at both ends) imo.

Rodriquez has more physical tools than Hart but he must maximize that talent to be mentioned in the same breath as the reigning Big East POY.

I agree. Desi had a really poor start to the season, then he was on fire early in big east play but eventually cooled off. A consistent Desi and there's no reason he can't be in the discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT