ADVERTISEMENT

Trove Tidbit

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Part 2 of our 3 part Q&A with Jerry Carino by Colin Rajala

Trove: Switching gears a little bit, there is at least one scholarship player left to fill out the 2024-2025 roster, but I wanted to get your opinion on the 24-25 basketball team as it currently stands. What are your expectations for the team?

Carino: It's just become harder than ever to project what teams are going to be because so many players are new on so many rosters. Not only do I not really know what to expect from Seton Hall, but I don’t know what to expect for most of the teams. It's a crapshoot. Every year I make predictions on Rutgers and Seton Hall in November and that’s after I’ve seen the team practice and after a whole preseason of writing about them.

This past year, I was the most wrong I've ever been because it's just so hard now with all of the musical chairs. I have an AP Top 25 vote and that preseason ballot is just throwing darts against the dart board now. You look back on it now and look how it shook out and it's embarrassing, but there's no real way to do it.

KenPom should not have preseason rankings. What are they even based on? KenPom should come out on December 1 or December 15 after a month or so of games where there's a lot of data, then start rolling from there. Even the AP Top 25, which has been around since the 1940s and serves as a valuable frame of historic reference, it’s hard to take these preseason polls seriously. That's in October and November, forget about the people coming out with stuff in May and June when these rosters aren’t even finalized yet. So, I don't really have a good answer for you there.

Reactions: Spirit*of*89
Here Jerry hits the ball out of the park. What can Pomeroy predict based on his statistical formula, especially now with team turnover in college BB so prevalent?

And once Pomeroy greatly under or overrates a program or a conference it could take most all of a year for that to correct itself. Jerry is spot on about waiting at least a month into the season to come out with his rating which unfortunately have a great influence during the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT