ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrese Martin

Fzacsattac

All American
Sep 22, 2013
By Zagoria
shooting guard Tyrese Martin is shaping up as a showdown between Rhode coach Dan Hurley and Hurley’s alma mater, Seton Hall.

The 6-foot-6 , 195-pound Martin, a native of Allentown, Pa., who attends Massanutten Military Academy (VA), says those are currently his top two schools.

“Right now the schools that are recruiting me are Seton Hall and Rhode Island,” he said Friday by phone. “Those two are working the hardest right now.”

Martin, who runs with WE-R1 during the summer, took an unofficial visit to Seton Hall on Wednesday. He met with associate head coach Shaheen Holloway and assistant Freddie Hill.”

“It was good,” he said. “I was there for a short period of time because we was on a time schedule.”

Seton Hall will lose four seniors in Angel Delgado, Desi Rodriguez, Khadeen Carrington and Ish Sanogo.

“They told me they’re graduating four seniors and I could go in there and play big minutes right away,” he said. “They said they liked the way I played when they were recruiting me and I’m their type of guy.”

Martin will take an official to Rhode Island Sept. 8-11.

“They’re telling me I could go in and play a lot of minutes as a freshman,” he said. “Coach Hurley’s been recruiting me hard.”

At this stage, Martin is focusing on these two schools, but could still consider others.

“I’m planning to decide before basketball season starts down at Massanutten,” he said. “That’s what I’m planning. But who knows how it goes.”

Wherever he lands, he’ll be a “guard that can rebound, put the ball on the floor, starts the break and finds my teammates.”

Reactions: shurings
By Zagoria
shooting guard Tyrese Martin is shaping up as a showdown between Rhode coach Dan Hurley and Hurley’s alma mater, Seton Hall.

The 6-foot-6 , 195-pound Martin, a native of Allentown, Pa., who attends Massanutten Military Academy (VA), says those are currently his top two schools.

“Right now the schools that are recruiting me are Seton Hall and Rhode Island,” he said Friday by phone. “Those two are working the hardest right now.”

Martin, who runs with WE-R1 during the summer, took an unofficial visit to Seton Hall on Wednesday. He met with associate head coach Shaheen Holloway and assistant Freddie Hill.”

“It was good,” he said. “I was there for a short period of time because we was on a time schedule.”

Seton Hall will lose four seniors in Angel Delgado, Desi Rodriguez, Khadeen Carrington and Ish Sanogo.

“They told me they’re graduating four seniors and I could go in there and play big minutes right away,” he said. “They said they liked the way I played when they were recruiting me and I’m their type of guy.”

Martin will take an official to Rhode Island Sept. 8-11.

“They’re telling me I could go in and play a lot of minutes as a freshman,” he said. “Coach Hurley’s been recruiting me hard.”

At this stage, Martin is focusing on these two schools, but could still consider others.

“I’m planning to decide before basketball season starts down at Massanutten,” he said. “That’s what I’m planning. But who knows how it goes.”

Wherever he lands, he’ll be a “guard that can rebound, put the ball on the floor, starts the break and finds my teammates.”
Sounds good

Let's assume Reid and King don't come... who do you guys think should be prioritized?

Nelson
1 or 2 of Martin/Boyd/Harper
Manuel and Forrester (HAVE to get one of them)

Am I missing anyone that should be ahead of these guys?

Someone should tell Ty that Danny's son is attending SHU as a freshman.

Would Tyreese be a SF candidate? If so, go get 'em!
Oh, and by the way, I'll be in Allentown on Sunday, should I drop in to say hello?

Reactions: BabyBlue
Is this player a reach? I looked at his list of offers on 247 and to say it's underwhelming would be an understatement.

I know nothing about this kid. But over the years, we have let an all star team of kids go play in the a10 without putting up a fight.

Reactions: deheremike
If Danny Hurley wants him, then the kid can play, why would he be a reach?

The A-10 has tons of quality kids that we have whiffed on.

We cant keep trying to get Top 1-50 players and miss out on the Top 50-150 kids reaching for the stars, and then end up with Top 300 kids in their place. That doesn't work, and has happened quite a bit.

Im more interested in moving a guy like Forrester to the wing spot from PF than moving a SG in Martin to SF.

Reactions: garyshu71

We cant keep trying to get Top 1-50 players and miss out on the Top 50-150 kids reaching for the stars, and then end up with Top 300 kids in their place. That doesn't work, and has happened quite a bit.
Yeah that's my point. This kid is ranked closer to 300 than 150. He is ranked 244.

Granted there are always diamonds in the rough so who knows.

Last edited:
I feel he would be a good addition. I believe he was hurt either last year or the year prior and could be the reason why he is ranked so low. Depending on ships, and King, I would take a chance on this kid. He needs to work out the kinks and then he will be a very good player.

Hallball02 or maybe leave him at PF and move Sandro to SF. Lol

Are we abandoning Kevin's announced policy of going after the elite players in the country? We should be looking at the elusive " diamond in the rough" only after we've landed our BE caliber targets and have one ship left to use . Personally given the very deep pool of transfer talent that's now available ( over 850 to date) I'd rather save a ship or two to use on that late transfer that becomes available.

Are we abandoning Kevin's announced policy of going after the elite players in the country? We should be looking at the elusive " diamond in the rough" only after we've landed our BE caliber targets and have one ship left to use . Personally given the very deep pool of transfer talent that's now available ( over 850 to date) I'd rather save a ship or two to use on that late transfer that becomes available.
This is the camp I'm in. We need to focus on securing commitments from bonafide BigEast level recruits. Then once we've got the core players in the recruiting class locked up we can take a flyer on a kid in the ~250 range.

The Roberts kid from Hudson Catholic should have said st Petes I think

Last edited:
This is the camp I'm in. We need to focus on securing commitments from bonafide BigEast level recruits. Then once we've got the core players in the recruiting class locked up we can take a flyer on a kid in the ~250 range.
Yea but seems to me that we seem to be second choice/ fallback for most of the BE quality types, so while we wait for those commits our fallbacks commit elsewhere.

To be fair while we did offer and recruit 6 five star players , we are only in it for one Louis King, yet we did offer 8 players ranked in that 51 to 150 range we haven't got a commit from anyone in that category to date. I completely agree with your view that the players ranked from 51 to 150 are where our focus should be and , in rare cases there may be that five star stud who is legitimately considering us and we should pursue that aggressively.

Reactions: Pirate64
http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/09/13/tyrese-martin-rhode-island/

Tyrese Martin
, the 6-foot-6 , 195-pound shooting gaurd who attends Massanutten Military Academy (VA), committed to Rhode Island on Wednesday following an official visit.

“I liked the coaching staff,” Martin said Wednesday. “We really clicked fast. They work hard to get their players better every day. Also the workouts stood out to me. There’s a lot of energy and excitement while work out. I like that a lot. And the school is just a nice setting overall so I plan to go in and win an A-10 championship every year I’m there.”

The Rams will graduate a slew of guards after 2017-18 in E.C. Matthews, Jarvis Garrett, Stan Robinson and Jared Terrell, opening up space for Martin.

“They’re telling me I could go in and play a lot of minutes as a freshman,” he said before the visit. “Coach [Dan] Hurley’s been recruiting me hard.”

Martin also visited Seton Hall.

“I’ll be a guard that can rebound, put the ball on the floor, starts the break and finds my teammates,” he said.

Martin joins 6-7 small forward Dana Tate in Rhody’s 2018 class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cale, McKnight and Powell at the 2 and we're concentrating on King at the 3.

If he was going to decide now he made the correct choice as imm minutes at RI are available that might not be here.

If we don't get a commitment from King, I just hope that waiting for him doesn't cause us to lose out on Moore.

That's a shame...I saw him play and thought he was very athletic. He is a great get for the Rams.

Solid get for URI. Kid has ability and showed a willingness to do the little things to win playing for WER1. However if we are only going to take 1 big guard/wing, we have to hold out for King. IMO, I feel Martin, Rhoden and Moore are on a similar level, all have different games but they present our best options behind King.

I wouldn't have been averse to grabbing any 1 of the 3 AND King. Athletic players in that 6'5 to 6'7 range are what BE basketball is about and our peers are bringing in some impressive players at that position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT