ADVERTISEMENT

UConn men’s basketball transfers a ‘wake-up call’ for Dan Hurley

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Mike Anthony
April 14, 2022

ratio3x2_2400.jpg

At twilight of a rather eventful Wednesday, at the heart of what felt like a chaotic week in the world of UConn basketball, birds were chirping in the background as Dan Hurley said what’s important to keep in mind while a transfer portal tornado rips through Storrs.

“I think the core of Adama and Jordan and Andre with Tristen, that’s a strong four,” Hurley said. “You’ve got three guys that are legitimate NBA-level prospects with length and athleticism and talent and skill around a potential All-American, preseason player of the year in the Big East. I love the spot we’re in. We can go into next season with our best team.”

You know junior center Adama Sanogo, sophomore guard Jordan Hawkins and junior guard Andre Jackson — players set to be joined by Tristen Newton, a dynamic guard from East Carolina who averaged 18 points, five assists, and five rebounds last season.

UConn landed one of the portal’s best guards but in the meantime, and perhaps in doing so, lost Corey Floyd to the same process. Floyd, who enrolled early and was with the program while redshirting last season, would have debuted as a freshman and been in line to play, say, 15 minutes a game.

But Floyd announced on Tuesday that he would transfer, underscoring the turbulent nature of coaching and playing and recruiting cycles in 2022. We’ve entered a new era of college basketball, one in which many players think the grass is greener elsewhere and all coaches have the responsibility to recruit top talent from the portal, which featured some 1,300 players.

“For the most part, I understand the basketball moves made by the guys who left,” Hurley said. “The last two years, we made a lot of progress but it’s not up to the standard that I’d like it to be. It was very clear that we needed to get better in the late signing period here. I get that their roles had diminished where it made sense for them to leave, for the most part. Part of why they’re leaving is because we understand we have to go out and get better.”

Hello to Newton. Goodbye to Floyd, Rahsool Diggins, Akok Akok and Jalen Gaffney, all swept away by transfer winds that followed postseason team and individual meetings.

Hurley was asked a dozen questions but wasn’t willing to answer all of them just yet. He will meet the media Thursday afternoon on campus. As the sun set on Wednesday, he would not get into specifics on individual players and the processes that led to their departures.

Still, players’ development and their obvious trajectories make it easy to understand Hurley’s “for the most part” qualifier.

Akok was the first prized recruit of the Hurley era, arriving at UConn in 2018-19 and debuting the next season. He tore an Achilles’ tendon as a sophomore, though, and meanwhile the talent around him got better, the program improved. He wasn’t counted on for major responsibility anytime thereafter.

In an ideal scenario, Gaffney would have improved this past season to the point where it would have been easy to pass him R.J. Cole’s point guard torch. But he didn’t.

Diggins never played a meaningful minute. He wasn’t going to.

Floyd, who reclassified to enroll early at UConn, would have played next season. Or, he would have at least been a front-runner to play. But behind Newton. So he is headed elsewhere without ever playing a game for the Huskies.

That’s his right, just like it’s Hurley’s to recruit with the urgency that his contract demands. And this is college basketball in 2022, as much about building a team year-to-year as developing something long-term. It’s taking place just about everywhere.

“Program-building, the way I’ve done it my whole career, with people staying together intact and proving and growing a role and going from somebody that you can’t play to playable to one of your key players, I don’t know how often that’s going to happen moving forward with the culture of basketball and the portal option,” Hurley said. “This is a wake-up call for me that I’ve got to continue to try to recruit young players that you could be with through their journey and develop over the course of years, and they’ll be willing to go through that process with you. My eyes are a lot more open to blending the use of the portal with that, and being much more flexible.”

He mentioned James Bouknight.

“I tell these kids the truth about themselves,” Hurley said. “Bouk will tell you what my nickname was. When I first started coaching Bouk I became known as ‘Shade King,’ like I’m throwing shade on people. Once James grew up a little bit, he moved me to ‘Truth King.’

“I would love to coach guys like [departed senior] an Isaiah Whaley, who paid his dues for two years before he even got a sniff, and a James Bouknight, who I didn’t start for half the year because he wasn’t ready all-around as a student-athlete and a young man. I wish every player would be all about the front of the jersey all year long like Andre Jackson.”

UConn, which lost seniors Whaley, Cole, Tyrese Martin and Tyler Polley to the traditional exit, has just eight scholarship players on board, including sophomore forward Samson Johnson, freshman center Donovan Clingan, junior forward Richie Springs and freshman forward Alex Karaban.

Hurley wants to add two guards capable of playing right away from the portal in the coming weeks. He would like to surround Sanogo with four perimeter-capable players, most of the time going with a 4-in-1-out style.

“I want to put a great team on the court next year,” Hurley said. “I want to put a better team on the floor. We need more help at guard and on the perimeter. The best teams I’ve coached in college, we’ve had a number of great guards, a deep perimeter. We’ve had some great perimeter players here but I haven’t quite been able to have that great perimeter, which is what got me here from Rhode Island.”

Reactions: walshtrips
Unfortunately given the ease of transfers most kids will not stick around and work harder.

Reactions: Piratz
Good article. Danny knew that last year’s team was weak in guard depth. He certainly plans to address that.

Not sure exactly what the wake-up call is. Geno talks about recruiting a UCONN-type player. The women 's game and Geno's stature are different from Danny's and the men's, but he seems to imply that Floyd and Diggins were overrated and no where near ready for Big East play, and he fell for it. Or is he saying he has to be a better judge of character and look for kids who are not going to bail after one year learning the ropes? It also speaks to how good Sanogo was coming in.

Not sure exactly what the wake-up call is. Geno talks about recruiting a UCONN-type player. The women 's game and Geno's stature are different from Danny's and the men's, but he seems to imply that Floyd and Diggins were overrated and no where near ready for Big East play, and he fell for it. Or is he saying he has to be a better judge of character and look for kids who are not going to bail after one year learning the ropes? It also speaks to how good Sanogo was coming in.
I think the point is that the days of keeping 13 kids on the roster are over. The new normal is going to be having shorter rosters and giving everybody some meaningful playing time.

Losing 8 Players may be more than just the portal opportunity -- will be. interesting to see if DH can. change

Reactions: Bud Boomer
I think the point is that the days of keeping 13 kids on the roster are over. The new normal is going to be having shorter rosters and giving everybody some meaningful playing time.
I guess the exception is Novas roster next year.

Reactions: LBP43
Losing 8 Players may be more than just the portal opportunity -- will be. interesting to see if DH can. change
He’s a pretender at the level UConn views themselves. Until proven otherwise, URI was the right level for him. Better than even money he’s not at the helm in 2024, the 10th anniversary of UConn’s last National Championship

I guess the exception is Novas roster next year.
I suspect that even nova Jay Wright will have to adapt to the new reality. I’m not confident that we are going to see kids stay in a program and pay their dues in the hopes that they will get significant playing time as upper classmen.
He’s a pretender at the level UConn views themselves. Until proven otherwise, URI was the right level for him. Better than even money he’s not at the helm in 2024, the 10th anniversary of UConn’s last National Championship
Whenever you hire an up and coming coach, you always risk the Peter principle coming in to play, right? You just don’t know if their current success is as good as they get. That’s as true for Hurley as it is for Holloway. But you keep talking as if it is an every college teams goal to play for championships. Now, granted, it may be more realistic for some than for others, but in the end isn’t that what everybody is shooting for? Seriously, do you mean to tell me that Seton Hall doesn’t have championship aspirations? Because that would be really sad, if true.

I suspect that even nova Jay Wright will have to adapt to the new reality. I’m not confident that we are going to see kids stay in a program and pay their dues in the hopes that they will get significant playing time as upper classmen.

Whenever you hire an up and coming coach, you always risk the Peter principle coming in to play, right? You just don’t know if their current success is as good as they get. That’s as true for Hurley as it is for Holloway. But you keep talking as if it is an every college teams goal to play for championships. Now, granted, it may be more realistic for some than for others, but in the end isn’t that what everybody is shooting for? Seriously, do you mean to tell me that Seton Hall doesn’t have championship aspirations? Because that would be really sad, if true.
I thought my point was crystal clear. UConn has 4 National Championships in the last 23 years. Fans in Storrs have to have a great level of expectation. We’re looking to get to the second weekend, something we haven’t done in 20 years. Then our expectations will go from there.

Probably, but the barn looks really full next year with no transfers so far, 3 incoming recruits and Slater + Danieks coming back for a grad year.

Reactions: CL82
He’s a pretender at the level UConn views themselves. Until proven otherwise, URI was the right level for him. Better than even money he’s not at the helm in 2024, the 10th anniversary of UConn’s last National Championshipe
I think you are dead wrong. The UCONN faithful, as obnoxious as they are----CL 82, of course, excluded---- love Danny's grit and emotion. The only way he is not there in 2024 is if he implodes [health-wise]. No one there cares that no-shows Diggins and Floyd left along with an underperforming Gaffney and a disabled Akok. They brought in the E. Carolina stud. This one-for-four trade is a plus for UCONN.

Reactions: CL82 and PMB Pirate
I think you are dead wrong. The UCONN faithful, as obnoxious as they are----CL 82, of course, excluded---- love Danny's grit and emotion. The only way he is not there in 2024 is if he implodes [health-wise]. No one there cares that no-shows Diggins and Floyd left along with an underperforming Gaffney and a disabled Akok. They brought in the E. Carolina stud. This one-for-four trade is a plus for UCONN.
We will see how long they “love” his one and done at the dance.
I’m selling Danny. You can buy him

I could see Danny and Bobby doing a college basketball version of Peyton and Eli. Hurleycast.

Last edited:
Reactions: silkcitypirate
Reads me to that UConn is just dealing with what many programs deal with. Kids who aren't playing big roles get a chance to leave and do. I don't read it as inferring something about Danny's coaching style, which seems to be what everyone wants to point towards.

In one swoop last year the NCAA changed everything for good when it comes to recruiting and building teams. Look at how the NIL is unfolding with schools truly investing in NIL initiatives as a recruiting tool. Plus with the pandemic basically over and things back to normal lots of new opportunities and selling points. Players could jump for so many reasons now and instantly with the free pass. It's very tricky to try to rely on the conventional method of developing younger players into 4-year types even though that's the ideal for program stability.

I have heard from many UConn faithful and $$$ people that are getting tired of his act and how it impacts his game management or lack thereof

Reactions: HallX2
The win is a "stud" from a mid-major school? Time will tell if this "stud" can perform against higher level teams.

Reactions: SHU AL 84
The win is a "stud" from a mid-major school? Time will tell if this "stud" can perform against higher level teams.
Lol, the American is considered a major conference. Link now granted, it is the worst of the major conferences, but it is still one of them.

In any event, averaging, 17 points, five rebounds, and four assists a game is pretty impressive and likely why he was considered one of the best guards in the portal. In case you forgotten, RJ Cole was from a low major program. That worked out OK for us.

Lol, the American is considered a major conference. Link now granted, it is the worst of the major conferences, but it is still one of them.

In any event, averaging, 17 points, five rebounds, and four assists a game is pretty impressive and likely why he was considered one of the best guards in the portal. In case you forgotten, RJ Cole was from a low major program. That worked out OK for us.
Yea, I mean if we got that kid the board would be ecstatic. I think your commentary on all the transfers has been highly objective. Uconn kept the most important kids, but the exodus generally isn’t a good thing and could be a negative sign as regards Hurley or the program. But if he replaces them with more talent it might not be an issue, although some could certainly hurt more than others.

Reactions: CL82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT