ADVERTISEMENT

UConn

UConn top goal is to return to being a consistent top 10 national power and NCAA title contender every year and they’ll do whatever it takes to achieve that goal and hiring outstanding recruiting assistants like Murray is just another step in pursuit of that goal. Bringing a state supported school into the BE was always a bad idea but Fox was calling the shots on that decision and they’re back and we’ll have to step up our game especially with our local recruiting to compete with them for players.j

UConn top goal is to return to being a consistent top 10 national power and NCAA title contender every year and they’ll do whatever it takes to achieve that goal and hiring outstanding recruiting assistants like Murray is just another step in pursuit of that goal. Bringing a state supported school into the BE was always a bad idea but Fox was calling the shots on that decision and they’re back and we’ll have to step up our game especially with our local recruiting to compete with them for players.j

What? Should we have added St Francis of Pa? UConn was the perfect add. Let’s worry about SHU and not other teams. We control our destiny.

What? Should we have added St Francis of Pa? UConn was the perfect add. Let’s worry about SHU and not other teams. We control our destiny.
I agree we just need to worry about us. That said, we didn’t have to add anyone. UConn was withering away in mid major hell and, though no one else wanted them, we threw them a lifeline that benefitted them more than it did us. They should have never received a full share of everything right off the bat. Make them earn it!

I agree we just need to worry about us. That said, we didn’t have to add anyone. UConn was withering away in mid major hell and, though no one else wanted them, we threw them a lifeline that benefitted them more than it did us. They should have never received a full share of everything right off the bat. Make them earn it!
This has always been my biggest pet peeve of letting UConn back in. I get that Fox essentially made us do it and it’s a positive for the league as a whole, but we should have done to them like the BIG-14 did to RU and make them wait until like 2030 to get their full cut of the money.

RU actually borrowed against future BIG network earnings to pay Schiano's salary and for the football facility upgrades he asked for. With lost ticket revenue and with the states economy being strapped, they will have to get creative with figuring out how to pay for everything.

Being from CT, I was opposed to their reentry. We threw them a lifeline after they bailed once. I still dislike them, but feel they will make us better.
That said, article in yesterday's CT Post boasted its incoming class especially 6'11" Patrick School star Samson Johnson, ESPN's no. 36 ranked high school player.
Isn't the Patrick School Grant's recruiting grounds?

Reactions: shupat08
I think UConn’s addition was good for the league in general. At the same time, UConn’s addition hurts Seton Hall. No question. Now not only do you have to compete with Villanova, you have UConn to compete with for top 100 players in the area. Willard will have to be creative and look to the transfer market to get recruits. He always had a hard time recruiting kids out of high school. This made it even more difficult.

Reactions: CL82
Can we finally admit that St Pats doesnt exist, and the patrick school is not a pro SHU school. If the recuiting results werent obvious enough, listen to some of the tuned in guys when they talk about the Patrick School.

I still dont think many understand the uphill battle the BE faces against the fb conferences and the fb money. FOX is not a trustfund we paid into and is there forever. They can take their station and go elsewhere. We were perfect for them when they started. We have games, they had programing. Now the station is established, and ratings and money will determine the future.

I personally believe Hurley would have turned UCONN around with or without the Big East. But I also think the BE clearly helps them, and will make it easier on Hurley and definitely bring them back to national attention much faster.

But lets not deny that UCONN helps the BE as a whole in many ways, among them: 20 game conf schedule, another national/big name school, another top coach, FOX/TV and BE tourney.

Sure makes things a little harder on SHU especially from recruiting side, but if you want to have continued success you will always be competing against the best on and off the court.

RU actually borrowed against future BIG network earnings to pay Schiano's salary and for the football facility upgrades he asked for. With lost ticket revenue and with the states economy being strapped, they will have to get creative with figuring out how to pay for everything.
I’m sure the money they saved by making their graduation virtual will go to Schiano. For a guy no one else wanted to hire and wouldn’t even sniff, Rutgers can’t seem to grant his every wish and desire fast enough!

Schiano turned down after accepting the DC job offered byPatriots for personal reasons.There was definite interest in hiring him at the highest level of football.He is already turning RU football around and if he continues he can name his next job if he wants to leave RU.

Schiano turned down after accepting the DC job offered byPatriots for personal reasons.There was definite interest in hiring him at the highest level of football.He is already turning RU football around and if he continues he can name his next job if he wants to leave RU.
Sanity now...lol

Reactions: lloyde dobler

That is true but it extended what was already a pretty long ramp up to full share. I might be off by a year or two on my recall (one of the RU guys that hang out on here like Hinson can correct/confirm accordingly), but I believe it was something like an 8-10 year ramp up from when they joined in 2014, so they were originally not getting a full share until 2022 or 24. When RU figured out that being in the BIG meant you actually had to spend money like you’re in the BIG and they didn’t have enough, they took an advance on some of that money for facility upgrades, ridiculous coach buyouts across all their sports, etc, which pushed the full share back even further to like 2028. I’m sure they’ll just beg the state for more money to make up the shortfall from Covid like they always do, same as every state university does, which is exactly why have one school that can do that in a league with 10 other private schools that can’t is inherently never a level playing field.

That is true but it extended what was already a pretty long ramp up to full share. I might be off by a year or two on my recall (one of the RU guys that hang out on here like Hinson can correct/confirm accordingly), but I believe it was something like an 8-10 year ramp up from when they joined in 2014, so they were originally not getting a full share until 2022 or 24. When RU figured out that being in the BIG meant you actually had to spend money like you’re in the BIG and they didn’t have enough, they took an advance on some of that money for facility upgrades, ridiculous coach buyouts across all their sports, etc, which pushed the full share back even further to like 2028. I’m sure they’ll just beg the state for more money to make up the shortfall from Covid like they always do, same as every state university does, which is exactly why have one school that can do that in a league with 10 other private schools that can’t is inherently never a level playing field.
I will try my best. When RU was accepted into the BIG in 2014 the schedule was for RU to receive a greatly reduced payout until 2021. Rutgers had zero leverage and had to accept any offer the BIG made them. The original payouts as follows:

2015- $8.6mm
2016- $9.0mm
2017- $9.4mm
2018- $9.8mm
2019- $10.2mm
2020- $10.6mm

RU was supposed to receive their first full share in 2021. However they borrowed from the conference in 2018 an amount of $38mm, which will be paid back in installments until 2027 when they will finally receive a full share. The updated distribution schedule is listed below:

2018- $$23.8mm
2019- $26.2mm
2020- $28.6mm
2021- $43.7mm
2022- $46.6mm
2023- $48.9mm
2024- $50.9mm
2025- $53.0mm
2026- $56.2mm
2027- $65.2mm (first year of a full share)
2028- $67.3mm
2029- $69.2mm

Hope this explains it.

I will try my best. When RU was accepted into the BIG in 2014 the schedule was for RU to receive a greatly reduced payout until 2021. Rutgers had zero leverage and had to accept any offer the BIG made them. The original payouts as follows:

2015- $8.6mm
2016- $9.0mm
2017- $9.4mm
2018- $9.8mm
2019- $10.2mm
2020- $10.6mm

RU was supposed to receive their first full share in 2021. However they borrowed from the conference in 2018 an amount of $38mm, which will be paid back in installments until 2027 when they will finally receive a full share. The updated distribution schedule is listed below:

2018- $$23.8mm
2019- $26.2mm
2020- $28.6mm
2021- $43.7mm
2022- $46.6mm
2023- $48.9mm
2024- $50.9mm
2025- $53.0mm
2026- $56.2mm
2027- $65.2mm (first year of a full share)
2028- $67.3mm
2029- $69.2mm

Hope this explains it.

Thank you Hinson, as expected I was slightly off with exact figures but I was in the ballpark. Even those “reduced” figures are still impressive, but I know expenses are through the roof too.
Related note, do we know how much the share is from Fox for the Big East? When is the Big East contract with Fox up for renewal? Apologies if those are Trove-level answers, I’m just curious what the comp is for BE vs Big 10 shares, obviously Big 10 is more with football I just wondered how much more.

Last edited:
We threw them a lifeline after they bailed once. I still dislike them, but feel they will make us better.
Sigh, we didn't bail, you did. And in doing so cost us all millions. But that's water under bridge.

I think UConn’s addition was good for the league in general. At the same time, UConn’s addition hurts Seton Hall. No question. Now not only do you have to compete with Villanova, you have UConn to compete with for top 100 players in the area. Willard will have to be creative and look to the transfer market to get recruits. He always had a hard time recruiting kids out of high school. This made it even more difficult.
And yet you guys killed it in the portal this spring and we drew a blank. It is, what it is. The better the conference, the more competition you will have in recruiting from the other schools.

Reactions: mbraue
Feels strange to be agreeing with Seton Hall folks, but they are 100% correct with this. BTW, UConn would leave tomorrow if the ACC or BIG came calling. The Catholic 7 did the smart thing by leaving, and created a viable conference that is on par with the Power 5 in Basketball.

Feels strange to be agreeing with Seton Hall folks, but they are 100% correct with this. BTW, UConn would leave tomorrow if the ACC or BIG came calling. The Catholic 7 did the smart thing by leaving, and created a viable conference that is on par with the Power 5 in Basketball.
Power 6, this ain’t football.

Actually it's three sides to every story. Yours, mine and the truth.

CL, you're right. We left you didn't. The only reason you didn't leave is the popular kids didn't want you.
Insult-Somebody-Creatively-Step-10-Version-2.jpg

Feels strange to be agreeing with Seton Hall folks, but they are 100% correct with this.
Nope, they are wrong. It's okay you can say it. They know it too.
BTW, UConn would leave tomorrow if the ACC or BIG came calling.
Yep, but so would the Hall or any other BE team. 10 times the media revenue is too much to walk away from. FWIW, I think, absent financial security, most UConn fans prefer the BE. I really enjoyed this season.
The Catholic 7 did the smart thing by leaving, and created a viable conference that is on par with the Power 5 in Basketball.
Nope, the NBE split off cost us all millions. Literally. Yeah we are all back in BB centric conference but we have put ourselves way, way behind in the shooting war that is college athletic spending. We are already seeing assistants getting paid $1M and it will only get worse. We really need Fox to step up significantly. I'm not sure that they will. At least not enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT