ADVERTISEMENT

Weed legal in NJ

SHUSA

All World
Jan 10, 2013
probably have a few jealous former players LOL.

Wonder how seton hall will/wont embrace it

Disgraceful. I really question where we're headed as a society.
geez didnt think someone could have such a reaction to a natural grown plant!

wonder how many cups of coffee you have every day

I’m actually coming full circle on this and think legalization of all drugs is worthy of discussion. Unfortunately, people with addictive personalities are able to get access to drugs. They will take them and suffer the health consequences (and death) whether they are legal or not. We are already paying for the cost of rehab, but if drugs were legal there would be a disincentive for drug dealing as a trade (and all the crime that results). I look at our community and the majority of crime is gang on gang drug distribution related.

Police can be redeployed if that crime goes down. Government can oversee the quality of the drugs and reap the tax revenues).

Reactions: sami
geez didnt think someone could have such a reaction to a natural grown plant!

wonder how many cups of coffee you have every day
He probably does not drink caffeine...gambling and weed becoming legal means its regulated and state takes its cut from the pie

0 usually. I drink coffee very rarely. What does this have to do with marijuana?
same. but coffee is essentially no different a drug than marijuana. plant/caffiene/chemical/ etc.

not to even mention booze.

i personally dont find marijuana that offensive , despite not partaking.

same. but coffee is essentially no different a drug than marijuana. plant/caffiene/chemical/ etc.

How would you determine “under the influence “ if someone had a car accident when partaking?

Reactions: Section112
I’m actually coming full circle on this and think legalization of all drugs is worthy of discussion. Unfortunately, people with addictive personalities are able to get access to drugs. They will take them and suffer the health consequences (and death) whether they are legal or not. We are already paying for the cost of rehab, but if drugs were legal there would be a disincentive for drug dealing as a trade (and all the crime that results). I look at our community and the majority of crime is gang on gang drug distribution related.

Police can be redeployed if that crime goes down. Government can oversee the quality of the drugs and reap the tax revenues).
in terms of addiction and destructiveness/death marijuana is almost at absolute zero

booze is at absolute 100

How would you determine “under the influence “ if someone had a car accident when partaking?
there are companies that built a breathalyzer that i believe has been tested and possibly starting to deploy in the UK. may want to buy that stock when they strike a deal in america

I don't partake in either.

Probably not much different than they would do yesterday.
Field sobriety test. If suspected DUI, arrest and blood test.

Legalization doesn't seem to significantly increase use, but it's good that we can stop wasting energy on policing recreational use.

in terms of addiction and destructiveness/death marijuana is almost at absolute zero

booze is at absolute 100
I was talking about all of the illegal drugs. Legalizing heroin, opium, fentanyl would collapse the illegal drug trade in this country and those supporting it. Think of what would happen to the Mexican drug cartel’s. Maybe having a more legitimate economy in Mexico would prevent the influx of illegal aliens.

Probably not much different than they would do yesterday.
Field sobriety test. If suspected DUI, arrest and blood test.

Legalization doesn't seem to significantly increase use, but it's good that we can stop wasting energy on policing recreational use.
It would be interesting to look at motor vehicle accidents, injuries and fatalities in states like Colorado and Washington to see if there has been an increase.

I was talking about all of the illegal drugs. Legalizing heroin, opium, fentanyl would collapse the illegal drug trade in this country and those supporting it. Think of what would happen to the Mexican drug cartel’s. Maybe having a more legitimate economy in Mexico would prevent the influx of illegal aliens.
haha well that sort aligns with the uber left ideology that is hated here so much. The reaction to oregon decriminalizing any drug went over poorly.

i agree with you however, theres no difference between the amount of people using illegal or legal drugs.

plus its no longer a forbidden fruit for kids

i can tell youre a pretty straight edge guy. but everyone has a vice. soda, chocolate, reality tv, theres gotta be something

I don't drink soda either. I guess chocolate would be my vice. ;)

It would be interesting to look at motor vehicle accidents, injuries and fatalities in states like Colorado and Washington to see if there has been an increase.

Conclusions. Three years after recreational marijuana legalization, changes in motor vehicle crash fatality rates for Washington and Colorado were not statistically different from those in similar states without recreational marijuana legalization. Future studies over a longer time remain warranted.

Conclusions. Three years after recreational marijuana legalization, changes in motor vehicle crash fatality rates for Washington and Colorado were not statistically different from those in similar states without recreational marijuana legalization. Future studies over a longer time remain warranted.
Great, so legalize. Sign me up.
We are the biggest consumers of illegal drugs. Crater the drug cartels.

Reactions: cernjSHU and SHUSA
haha well that sort aligns with the uber left ideology that is hated here so much. The reaction to oregon decriminalizing any drug went over poorly.

i agree with you however, theres no difference between the amount of people using illegal or legal drugs.

I don’t get into left or right. I look at an issue on its own merit. Leave left and right for the sheep.

Had a long conversation with a Denver police officer and it's very hard and there are political reasons to ask the cops to only get a blood sample in extreme cases. And this cop was asked to only do it in those cases. Said its a problem but the stats will never be there to measure it.

I would be in full favor of legalizing pot if there was a reliable way to enforce driving under the influence in the field. Right now there is not. The only reliable way is for police to call and ambulance and get the person taken to the hospital which they have to agree to and then test them. By the time that all happens the levels are lower. Until there is an accurate breathalizer that allows police officers to enforce it in the field I believe legalizing is irresponsible.

No this is not right or left. It's common sense. I have no problem with anyone using pot.

My 2 concerns are regarding car accidents as Hall85 mentioned and what avenue do the current weed dealers go? You're putting them out of business if you can buy weed at your nearest Wawa or 7-11. Do they end up committing more crimes? Or do they just tend to go sell harder drugs? In order to sell weed in your store, will there be a nice sized license like a liquor license?

My 2 concerns are regarding car accidents as Hall85 mentioned and what avenue do the current weed dealers go? You're putting them out of business if you can buy weed at your nearest Wawa or 7-11. Do they end up committing more crimes? Or do they just tend to go sell harder drugs? In order to sell weed in your store, will there be a nice sized license like a liquor license?
maybe they get.... wait for it... jobs!

Had a long conversation with a Denver police officer and it's very hard and there are political reasons to ask the cops to only get a blood sample in extreme cases. And this cop was asked to only do it in those cases. Said its a problem but the stats will never be there to measure it.

I would be in full favor of legalizing pot if there was a reliable way to enforce driving under the influence in the field. Right now there is not. The only reliable way is for police to call and ambulance and get the person taken to the hospital which they have to agree to and then test them. By the time that all happens the levels are lower. Until there is an accurate breathalizer that allows police officers to enforce it in the field I believe legalizing is irresponsible.

But at the same time most studies I have seen show that usage remains similar to what it was before legalization.
I think it's worth making efforts to get better testing tools, but if usage doesn't significantly change then legalizing it doesn't change the risk that someone would be driving under the influence.

Reactions: SHUSA
But at the same time most studies I have seen show that usage remains similar to what it was before legalization.
I think it's worth making efforts to get better testing tools, but if usage doesn't significantly change then legalizing it doesn't change the risk that someone would be driving under the influence.
stop with that common sense. and dont even think about reiterating they are indeed coming out with accurate breathalyzers (linked above)

in addition id say its safe to assume driving impaired under weed is much less drastic than under alcohol. i wouldnt condone either.

stop with that common sense. and dont even think about reiterating they are indeed coming out with accurate breathalyzers (linked above)

in addition id say its safe to assume driving impaired under weed is much less drastic than under alcohol. i wouldnt condone either.
Just my 2 cents it would be common sense to come out with the breathalyzers first, then make the product legal. That would be common sense to me. But I guess not to a lot of people.

truth of the matter is the state is probably really struggling with the loss of sales tax revenue all around especially restaurants, common sense loses and the desperation of anything to bring in tax revenue trumps common sense.

Just my 2 cents it would be common sense to come out with the breathalyzers first, then make the product legal. That would be common sense to me. But I guess not to you.

It's logical, but that's a time when you get caught up in doing something for the sake of doing something that sounds right without considering if there is actually a benefit.

It's logical, but that's a time when you get caught up in doing something for the sake of doing something that sounds right without considering if there is actually a benefit.
When I was learning how to drive I remember the instructor telling me a car is like a gun, you can kill anyone in an instant if you don’t handle with care. I’m very sure I don’t want people driving under the influence of alcohol and I’m definitely sure I don’t want people driving under the influence of marijuana. Common sense says you better be able to have a measure to prevent both situations.

yup. mandating a breathalyzer come out first when its proven there isnt an increase in marijuana use only means admitting they should have had one decades ago

yup. mandating a breathalyzer come out first when its proven there isnt an increase in marijuana use only means admitting they should have had one decades ago
I don’t think anyone will argue the fact they should’ve had them years ago. But as a politician wouldn’t you want to say i dotted every i and crossed every t before I made it legal? God forbid something major happens and it’s on every news station and someone says you made this legal but didn’t have any way to test for this? Murphy’s answer is going to be that’s correct we’re waiting on it to come out. Not a good look

When I was learning how to drive I remember the instructor telling me a car is like a gun, you can kill anyone in an instant if you don’t handle with care. I’m very sure I don’t want people driving under the influence of alcohol and I’m definitely sure I don’t want people driving under the influence of marijuana. Common sense says you better be able to have a measure to prevent both situations.

Right. My question is if a breathalyzer for weed would change behavior.
I don't really believe it would. My opinion is based off the studies I have read on the topic a couple years ago.

People who will want to smoke week and drive tomorrow will want to smoke weed and drive tomorrow if it is legal or not and if there is a breathalyzer or not.

So we wait for the breathalyzer while we continue to spend resources arresting people for a relatively minor crime, and don't actually change the outcome of those driving while impaired?

I don’t think anyone will argue the fact they should’ve had them years ago. But as a politician wouldn’t you want to say i dotted every i and crossed every t before I made it legal? God forbid something major happens and it’s on every news station and someone says you made this legal but didn’t have any way to test for this? Murphy’s answer is going to be that’s correct we’re waiting on it to come out. Not a good look
eh. if someone is driving erratically or dangerously theyll be pulled over regardless. but alcohol breathalyzers doesnt prevent major accidents, deaths, crashes from happening every night.

eh. if someone is driving erratically or dangerously theyll be pulled over regardless. but alcohol breathalyzers doesnt prevent major accidents, deaths, crashes from happening every night.
That’s not something that is able to be measured. How many people get one DUI or DWI and never put themselves in that situation again. We have no clue if that saved 0 lives, 1 life, or 5 lives.

Reactions: Hallsome
That’s not something that is able to be measured. How many people get one DUI or DWI and never put themselves in that situation again. We have no clue if that saved 0 lives, 1 life, or 5 lives.
their existence really doesnt stop people from the first time does it?

but as merge said, data doesnt really show this is actually a problem.

Not really at odds-it’s more libertatarian which strangely and for me sadly has been abandoned by Democrats

Right. My question is if a breathalyzer for weed would change behavior.
I don't really believe it would. My opinion is based off the studies I have read on the topic a couple years ago.

People who will want to smoke week and drive tomorrow will want to smoke weed and drive tomorrow if it is legal or not and if there is a breathalyzer or not.

So we wait for the breathalyzer while we continue to spend resources arresting people for a relatively minor crime, and don't actually change the outcome of those driving while impaired?
Circulate the citations please

Interesting question on what become of current weed dealers? Does anyone know in other states that legalized weed?

I would think they probably do not go away, based on sports gambling. Bookies have not gone away even though sports betting is legal in NJ, and bets can be made anytime from a computer or phone. Reasons illegal path still survives: price/no tax, trust of known method, lack of trust for govt, etc..

Circulate the citations please

Posted a link to a study above.
Honestly though, of all the issues we talk about on this board, this is probably the one I care the least about and legally in NJ the issue is settled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT