ADVERTISEMENT

What would you do?

NYShoreGuy

All Universe
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2006
I went to a car repair shop today to have something done because I needed it done and am not comfortable yet with so much physical exertion with a car suspended over me while on my back.
The repair shop did not handle the situation well. Before I left I asked the supervisor to come back outside because I didn't like two noises I had. He really did not want to deal with me and came outside and convinced himself it was ok in what he was telling me. I drive home, one noise gets worse across any bumps or change in terrain up hill or down hill. I got home jacked my car up, the system that was worked on was low on fluid. I added some and bled air out of it. I then took a drive still one bad noise, clanks. I go back, go in driveway jack and jack stands, the installed hose line is just dangling and I can move it 4 inches north and south with my left hand and I am right handed. I call back the center, was told on the phone oh you again. I then lost it, I told the guy I would not be calling back if everything was fun and dropped an F bomb. He hung up on me. I drive back to the center. I hear him coming, he becomes confrontational to me, says he is a bouncer and if this were another place take my type outside and straighten out my mouth. He cools off I explain yet again what is happening. I drive my car to an open bay. They lift it up and sure enough unsecured main high pressure line. Underneath hood, secure hold downs not seated in proper position etc. They secure the underside of the vehicle with the hose and I drive off and I make myself the better person and say sorry for my language earlier.

However, should I reach out to corporate? I don't feel the store manager would do much. I can't believe a service area supervisor would be this aggressive towards a customer and be so cavalier about his tech's negligence. I don't mind paying what I paid for the job to be done appropriately at the point of original repair. I don't feel that mark was met here.

Thoughts?

Did the supervisor apologize for the screw up and/or his behavior? Did he make any offer to make it right?

Honestly I would reach out to overall manager or owner of the facility first. See where it goes, even if you plan to reach out to corporate parent I would also give them the chance to voice your concerns and see their response. May want to mention you are planning to reach out to corporate. But just because you reach out to shop, doesn’t mean can’t also reach out to corporate at same time or after talking to manager.

One thing to pay for something and it is not done right or completely, but when you point out issue it should be addressed in a professional manner which obviously they failed at big time.

Reactions: Abbo71
I went to a car repair shop today to have something done because I needed it done and am not comfortable yet with so much physical exertion with a car suspended over me while on my back.
The repair shop did not handle the situation well. Before I left I asked the supervisor to come back outside because I didn't like two noises I had. He really did not want to deal with me and came outside and convinced himself it was ok in what he was telling me. I drive home, one noise gets worse across any bumps or change in terrain up hill or down hill. I got home jacked my car up, the system that was worked on was low on fluid. I added some and bled air out of it. I then took a drive still one bad noise, clanks. I go back, go in driveway jack and jack stands, the installed hose line is just dangling and I can move it 4 inches north and south with my left hand and I am right handed. I call back the center, was told on the phone oh you again. I then lost it, I told the guy I would not be calling back if everything was fun and dropped an F bomb. He hung up on me. I drive back to the center. I hear him coming, he becomes confrontational to me, says he is a bouncer and if this were another place take my type outside and straighten out my mouth. He cools off I explain yet again what is happening. I drive my car to an open bay. They lift it up and sure enough unsecured main high pressure line. Underneath hood, secure hold downs not seated in proper position etc. They secure the underside of the vehicle with the hose and I drive off and I make myself the better person and say sorry for my language earlier.

However, should I reach out to corporate? I don't feel the store manager would do much. I can't believe a service area supervisor would be this aggressive towards a customer and be so cavalier about his tech's negligence. I don't mind paying what I paid for the job to be done appropriately at the point of original repair. I don't feel that mark was met here.

Thoughts?
I’d let it go

but I get your frustration

Call his bluff. Find out where he is a bouncer at and go there. Either A) bring someone bigger than him and see if he can straighten your mouth out or B) sneak a 20 year old in on a night he is working and call the cops citing underage drinking. C) contact his boss (or better yet his boss’s boss) and tell him the tale.

Just kidding. I would let it slide. Life is too short. Maybe he was having a really bad day, maybe something terrible is happening behind the scenes. Your vehicle is fixed, just never go back there and tell friends not to go there either.

Reactions: Hallsome
Find another repair shop.
With this vehicle it wont be repaired any more. Sad part is the two chain spots closest to me have gone downhill in vehicle service area the last ten years. I plan to ride out this car rest of 2021 and get a new vehicle quarter 1 of 22. I am driving approx 350 miles a week now.

I am going to write to corporate. I dont want to see this supervisor cancelled but he needs to go to a course on leadership, management and customer service. I also believe the charge for the 2nd quart of fluid and a portion of my labor should be credited back to me.

Stay away from bottom feeding repair shops.

Top mechanics either own their own place or work for dealers. They get proper training on equipment, computer technology, and customer service. You get what you pay for.

I wouldn't drop f bombs on the people that I need to help me. You have to be polite and persistent and get them to recognize that the repair just isn't right. In 45 years of owning cars I have never had a mechanic or a shop not make something right.

If you're going to write a letter to corporate I would write a polite one and be specific in what it is you want. Writing a letter to simply complain is a waste of time.

Last edited:
this makes me realize i really gotta learn basic car repair skills

There’s something to be said for the old line “you catch more bees with honey.”
Hall85, area supervisor dismissed me in person prior to me originally leaving after I had just paid a few hundred dollar bill. He BSed me when he came out to the car prior to my original departure. I called and was nice until he said oh you again.

this makes me realize i really gotta learn basic car repair skills
Sadly this is a bit more of an advanced repair, one that i actually have done handful of years in the past. But I recommend people learn about their own cars to not go through drama like this.

Reactions: SHUSA
Hall85, area supervisor dismissed me in person prior to me originally leaving after I had just paid a few hundred dollar bill. He BSed me when he came out to the car prior to my original departure. I called and was nice until he said oh you again.
Personally, I would have chuckled, and said “yeah, me, haha......Hey sorry to bug you but I could really use your help”.....dropping the “f bomb” pretty much ended any civility and getting your problem addressed. But that’s just me.....

Personally, I would have chuckled, and said “yeah, me, haha......Hey sorry to bug you but I could really use your help”.....dropping the “f bomb” pretty much ended any civility and getting your problem addressed. But that’s just me.....
I didnt call him the f word i said the f'in technician, he pushed me to it

I didnt call him the f word i said the f'in technician, he pushed me to it
Ok, you dropped the “f-bomb”....not advisable if you’re trying to get something taken care of....just sayin...but you do you.

Stay away from bottom feeding repair shops.

Top mechanics either own their own place or work for dealers. They get proper training on equipment, computer technology, and customer service. You get what you pay for.

I wouldn't drop f bombs on the people that I need to help me. You have to be polite and persistent and get them to recognize that the repair just isn't right. In 45 years of owning cars I have never had a mechanic or a shop not make something right.

If you're going to write a letter to corporate I would write a polite one and be specific in what it is you want. Writing a letter to simply complain is a waste of time.
once went to a well known chevy dealership with probably the biggest service center at the jersey shore area....i had a recall on my vehicle that was to be handled at no charge....my oil had just been changed, tires rotated and new engine and cabin air filters installed two weeks prior....i am waiting at this center for this instance....the area supervisor comes back and tells me the tech suggests a tire rotation, oil change and changing of both air filters...i laughed and said please just do the recall

Not sure why you laughed.

Yes I know the dealers will constantly try to cross-sell and I know the cabin air filter trick.

That being said if your tires were due for rotation and your oil needed changing and your filters haven't been changed in a while, suggesting that is not unreasonable. You can just politely tell them no thank you and move on.

The last 10 years or so I have been leasing vehicles. The last three have been Lincoln's. With a 3-year lease the only maintenance I ever need is tire rotation and oil change. A couple of problems that I've had beyond that were fixed immediately and under warranty. They come over to my house pick up my car drive it to the dealership and drop it off when it's done.

When I was younger I did a lot of my own. I usually owned cars and kept them for six to eight years. I've done just about everything you can do to a car including a complete engine rebuild down to Pistons and crankshaft bearings.

As I've gotten older I have done less and paid to have work done. I used national battery and tire for some of the repairs. They were less expensive but they were definitely bottom feeders. One time I went to Hoffman transmission to have a water pump replaced. I paid a few hundred dollars and they screwed it up. Had I gone to the dealer the dealer would have found out that it was under warranty and they would have done it at no cost. Pretty much since then I've been going to the dealer.

Last edited:
You lose credibility when you spew the F bomb. I've done it too and it never works. Find another shop there are better ones out there. There is also a severe labor shortage so you can complain all you want but that company most likely won't make a change. And now the bouncer knows where you live... just sayin.

You lose credibility when you spew the F bomb. I've done it too and it never works. Find another shop there are better ones out there. There is also a severe labor shortage so you can complain all you want but that company most likely won't make a change. And now the bouncer knows where you live... just sayin.
If i lost credibility what about that location and area supervisor?

I think you have two distinct, while obviously also connected issues.

One is work was done incorrectly, you noticed, told staff member, was told it was fine and then had to fix it yourself, as well as bring back to get it repaired.

Second, based on your details, the staff member was rude at several points , as well as threatening, granted you might have help amp up the situation a little as well.

I think if you address the issue with corporate and/or individual store, I would stick with the job was done wrong, what exactly was done wrong and question why it was not checked/corrected quickly when you pointed it out, as it seems that is how it should have been handled.

Bringing up the rude/threatening part think really skews the main issue that the job was not done correctly.

Reactions: SHUSA
You know, you started this thread with the title “What would you do?”. You’ve gotten a bunch of measured and thoughtful responses. Did you not want the advice to begin with?

Reminds me of the old bear joke. "You didn't come here to hunt, did you? 😂

Reactions: HALL85
Reading this thread reminded of a situation years ago.

It was aa bottom feeding repair center I would use due it being within walking distance of my office. I showed up after work to get my car and there was a woman ahead of for the same reason.

The guy behind the counter asks, "How may I help you?"

She replies, "I am here to pick up my car. Smith. A red Toyota."

He goes to the big board and returns with the declaration that there is no record of Smith and no red Toyota.

She politely tells him that she dropped the car off last night and put the keys in the slot.

The guy trundles out to the garage area and comes back with the news that he found the keys, however they had fallen from the slot and landed behind some tires. In short, they had done nothing with the car.

I can't recall what the woman said next but I recall some frustration in her. Moreover, I distinctly recall the guy replying to her in a mater of fact-I don't give a shit manner- dumb as a stump expression, "well.......I guess you'll just have to come back tomorrow.". There was no, apology. No hint of any screw-up, no "hey here is 5% coupon or a free tire rotation....just a dumb f_ckining look.

Regarding cars and service, a good read is Customer's for Life.

It is written a Texas Cadillac dealer. I read the original version some 30 years ago. It seems he updated the book in 2002.

Amazon product ASIN 0385504454

You don't sound like a customer. You sound like a colossal PITA. I'd wager the company will do fine without you. I'd have no trouble telling you to take a hike.
Pray tell? I mean I was the one paying money. I was the one that booked the am appt to drop at 8 am. I was not the hack of a tech that did sham effort nor the careless supervisor. I am a customer who measures where I go and what I pay with precision. I have a job, I am a manager of a crucial area, i provide service. Any interdepartment issue that comes my way I don't say oh you again.

Last edited:
Reactions: SPK145
In this one case, I am fully with ShoreGuy. The "oh, you again" deserved an f-bomb. And assuming it was some crummy Midas or other low-rent repair shop., there's no doubt that their work is called into question on any given day. Then to physically threaten him? It's a shame you didn't have the phone video running.

I've been working on my own cars since I could drive. When I need something that's beyond my capability or time allowance, I have 1-2 shops that I trust to do the work. Unfortunately, I know zero about shops in the Monmouth or Ocean County areas; I'm sure someone you know can make a recommendation. Stay away from the chains.

In this one case, I am fully with ShoreGuy. The "oh, you again" deserved an f-bomb. And assuming it was some crummy Midas or other low-rent repair shop., there's no doubt that their work is called into question on any given day. Then to physically threaten him? It's a shame you didn't have the phone video running.

I've been working on my own cars since I could drive. When I need something that's beyond my capability or time allowance, I have 1-2 shops that I trust to do the work. Unfortunately, I know zero about shops in the Monmouth or Ocean County areas; I'm sure someone you know can make a recommendation. Stay away from the chains.
There are so many review sites like Yelp or Angie’s List, you can get a ton of information now.

There are so many review sites like Yelp or Angie’s List, you can get a ton of information now.
That should be right in ShoreGuy's wheelhouse. If that guy had said that to me, I would have opened my trunk and asked him if my tire iron was bent at the correct angle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT