ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s your all time starting 5?

A few things about Nick Werkman. First those shooting percentages were very good for his era. Secondly he scored about 80% of his baskets in the paint, Every team played a box and one on him with the whole D collapsing on him once he got the ball. He had tremendous moves and was constantly drawing fouls, Consider all those points & rebounds in the paint and realize that he was only 6-3 playing and scoring at will at & around the basket. Also Freshmen were not eligible back then so he probably scores 3000 + pints if he had that extra year. And by the way he did average over 30 PPG on the freshman team also.

Tom K

This is my understanding of how Nick played. Most of his points came in the paint which means not having a three-point line didn't affect his game and scoring much.

Agree that those shooting percentages were probably good especially for the time though I haven't really researched it.

Tom, you're one of the few here who saw Nick play. Is my presumption that the level of competition was down from the best teams of the earlier years and the Big East era on the mark? I know that was the period after the point shaving scandal which certainly affected how the University saw the basketball team.

This is my understanding of how Nick played. Most of his points came in the paint which means not having a three-point line didn't affect his game and scoring much.

Agree that those shooting percentages were probably good especially for the time though I haven't really researched it.

Tom, you're one of the few here who saw Nick play. Is my presumption that the level of competition was down from the best teams of the earlier years and the Big East era on the mark? I know that was the period after the point shaving scandal which certainly affected how the University saw the basketball team.
SHU during the Werkman years played a very representative schedule tho not on the level of the Big East. . (More like a upper mid major) The SHU self imposed ban on tournaments & reduced schedule had it's effect after Nick graduated. We did honor schedule commitments made prior to the scandal. Nick played against and outscored stars such as Paul Silas . Chet "The Jet" Walker & John Thompson.

By the way Nick's shooting percentage is misleading because he frequently followed up a missed shot with a rebound and put back. THINK ABOUT THIS FOR HIS CAREER HE AVERAGED 32 POINTS AND 14 REBOUNDS PER GAME.

Tom K

Let's face it, Seton Hall becoming what we became in the pj era was a pipedream, a fantasy. If anyone here saw it coming, you may be a genius, but I think more likely you were crazy. We were a nothing. Worst in class, for years and years. The Isaiah comparison is good cause he lead an resurgence too, but we had been there before. Bryant was a stake in the ground. Maybe now we can finally get better...maybe....
I hear ya but times were so very different

Werkman between PJ not much longer than Blaney to KW.....

But KW has more to prove of course (notwithstanding the job he’s done in these times)....I think he will

holy smokes!
So I guess he may the only member of the board who saw Kevin "Chuck" Connors the famous actor play live. The Brooklyn born Connors played for both the Brooklyn Dodgers and also the Boston Celtics after attending Seton Hall for 2 years. Then on to Hollywood playing "The Riflemen" Also taught tank warfare during WW II. Pretty charmed life.

MY ALL TIME TEAM

PG - BOB DAVIES
2G- DEHERE
SF- WERKMAN
PF- BRYANT
C- DUKES

2nd TEAM

PG - GALIS
2G- POWELL
SF- MOSLEY
PF- DELGADO
C- AVENT

BENCH

CALANDRILO
HOLLOWAY
BARRETT
WANZER
KARNISHOVAS
WALKER
REAGAN

ALL TIME FANS - GYRATIN JOE, RAY LOPEZ & BILL EYRES

Tom K
Tom nailed it.

For those of you of the Werkman era, what other colleges recruited him?

can someone make a list of every player that would be realistically considered for each position? we can run a poll for each position and then get a true piratecrew answer

For those of you of the Werkman era, what other colleges recruited him?
The world was very different in the 1950's and 60's. Those schools that were major players then may not be so now and vice versa. (NYU for example) For example there were no black players in either the ACC or SEC. Recruiting was not very publicized at that time either. Nick was a two time first team All State player in NJ. I do not specifically know who else recruited him then but his wife once told me at a SHU function that Kentucky did recruit him hard.

TK

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT