ADVERTISEMENT

Will McDermott survive this?

• Thread starter anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
  • Start date
I'm happy he wasn't fired or forced to resign

Said something stupid when the country is tense when it comes to racism and everything that has happened over the last year. So he faces some consequences. He deserves the suspension

And once its over move on don't do it again

Reactions: hallstorm
A real hard hitting piece from Yahoo, and some author I assume has never been on a sports team.

Another activist posing as a "journalist." There are a lot of those types these days.

Okay. I look forward to you supporting suspensions for coaches who utter four letter words either on the court, in practice, in the locker room or with the media.
This statement doesn’t make sense. When did I say a coach should be suspended for cursing. Cursing and making a racially insensitive comments are two different things and therefore result in different consequences.

There are consequences for using profanity during games it’s called technical fouls which Willard got himself this year and said he deserved. I’m also sure you can’t go on a cursing tirade with the media after the game and not face some consequences by the AD. You represent the school and the brand and a coach should act as such. The point is when you do something wrong at your job there are consequences.

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
This statement doesn’t make sense. When did I say a coach should be suspended for cursing. Cursing and making a racially insensitive comments are two different things and therefore result in different consequences.

There are consequences for using profanity during games it’s called technical fouls which Willard got himself this year and said he deserved. I’m also sure you can’t go on a cursing tirade with the media after the game and not face some consequences by the AD. You represent the school and the brand and a coach should act as such. The point is when you do something wrong at your job there are consequences.

You said that inappropriate language should not be tolerated. Four letter words are inappropriate.

Suspend him and move on. He said something totally inappropriate and tone deaf. He was contrite and owned it and gave an apology immediately. The conversation occurred and that is a significant positive which no one is talking about. There is no history of this with him or more accounts would be out there.

I'm sure some reporter is looking under every rock to ruin this man. The mob (the media and social media users) want blood and it gives them something to talk about and fill their time and gives them a powerful feeling.

With power comes responsibility. We haven't seen the latter part of that sentence play out because responsible reactions aren't popular right now and the same folks complaining the loudest are also afraid they will be called out if they say the wrong thing and lose that power. Forgiveness and understanding is a thing of the distant past. He said something inappropriate and wrong I agree. So let's stone him to death? That is where society is currently.

Guys that’s how the real world works. If you make a mistake at your job there are consequences period. Even if you apologize.This is not about the “left” or “woke mob” trying to run someone out of town. It’s not like he called a player the wrong name by accident he made a totally inappropriate analogy(a very odd one at that) and it was hurtful. I’m not calling him a racist but he needs to do some self reflection about where those words even came from. There are many people who are great people in public but we don’t have any idea what is said within their home.

Just because it didn’t resonate with you doesn’t mean it wasn’t offensive because to some people it was and it is wrong to discredit their feelings. His players and coaching staff were hurt not just one person. It is affecting them on the court.

Did you really think him just saying sorry was enough and outside of maybe attending a class on diversity that would be it. If that’s all he had gotten that is just another example of white privilege sorry to say. Creighton took the right steps(the loss probably didn’t help) and made the right decision. Hopefully during his time away from the team he can reflect on his actions and figure out how he is going to earn his team’s respect.
he literally confused his words. not a crime. cancel mob needs to stop. this is ridiculous!!! his team is also MAJORITY white players. like 11 of them. was he not addressing these players too?

this is absolutely insanity

woke mentality if you don't agree with them--
MobRuleOld.jpg

I don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but you look at how McDermott treats the players during the game and the guy does not have a racist bone in his body. I remember after they got drilled by Baylor in NCAA tournament in 2014 in 2nd round, how incredible he was when each player as the walked off the floor. He looks like really classy guy to me. He made a mistake and admitted it. Let's move on.

All this while there is Mickey Callaway, the Iowa football strength coach, Les Miles, the Mets former GM , Seattle Mariners CEO and Cuomo all basically saying they didn't do anything wrong. And all the while LSU, Angels etc. were enablers.

Reactions: shu09
And you have coaches blatantly paying for recruits and FBI evidence and possibly laws broken and those guys are still coaching. This guy made one mistake and used an inappropriate term and some would like him thrown to the curb forever?

Love the monday morning qbing on here, cave to woke mob, appease one side, they are a Jesuit institution, the verdict was delayed but respect it.

No disrespect intended, but his players and assistant coaches, many of whom are minorities, came to bat for him. No one who has actually been around this guy, to my knowledge, has said his words reflect how he thinks or support a pattern of racism. From an outside perspective, it looks like the school bowed to pressure from people who have nothing to do with this and don’t know McDermott from a hole in the wall. But who are our “moral compass” because they have the “courage” to tweet some words in a 100 or so characters. So, yea, there seems to be grounds to question why they did it, because it’s a problem plaguing this country right now.

All this while there is Mickey Callaway, the Iowa football strength coach, Les Miles, the Mets former GM , Seattle Mariners CEO and Cuomo all basically saying they didn't do anything wrong. And all the while LSU, Angels etc. were enablers.

You can easily piece together why certain folks who are calling for McDermott's head or believe the suspension is warranted have been hesitant, muted or wavering on the Cuomo-situation.

It’s not right to blame the players or coaches. They were not the one’s who said it. This is a big deal and this is a shout out to everyone no matter what your profession that inappropriate language will not be tolerated. You don’t know who was in that locker room. For all you know the athletic director was in the locker room. What was the AD supposed to do not say anything about it. Even if it was a player they have every right to report something to a supervisor if they don’t feel comfortable. We have seen too many times in college athletics of students and coaches not speaking up.

Creighton had to report this because if they didn’t it would look like they were trying to cover things up and they needed to be transparent. There were going to be consequences no matter what. The school can’t suspend the coach and offer no reason why.

Despite many's preclivity to want to re-write and change history and the world around themselves in the name of social justice, "plantation" is not inappropriate language. The context in which the word was used is offensive and I don't blame anyone for feeling that way.

Leveraging common sense, it was clear he meant to say "reservation" (which, frankly, I'm surprised that isn't an offensive term by today's standards). Society has gotten so out of hand with this, we don't even interpret the intent of one's words or their actions, anymore - just looking to drop the hammer on anyone.

Take the situation for what it is; the dude was trying to speak from the heart about being unified as a team, and his vocabulary failed him in the moment. He absolutely should apologize because hey, he said it and it was dumb, but recognize the moment and what he was trying to say, and let's move on.

Now, does he have a track record of saying off color things or treating people of color differently? If so, it's a different matter entirely. But otherwise, for christ's sake, offer people just a modicum of grace and understanding instead of making "shout outs" about "what won't be tolerated".

This country is going to cancel itself right out of existence. Wipe good men from record, burn books, the whole nine.

Misspeak. Apologize. Players of color back him. Not enough. The mob is going to Lynch him (use of that word is going to get me cancelled). He’s toast now. The school is going to part ways with him. Another life destroyed with the totality of his life and career being worth nothing.

I don’t think anyone here has said he should be fired. I know some people outside this group but so far no one here has. For those that don’t think he should be suspended what should his consequences be?

Yes it was a mistake and I’m glad he apologized but there has to be some consequences. Otherwise what message are you sending to your student athletes. You are basically telling they can say whatever they want as long as you apologize if someone is offended. We have had several players face punishment under Willard which is one thing I like about him. He is teaching them how the real world works especially for young black men. I’m sure they apologized for their actions but there has to be consequences. Myles Powell was suspended for a preseason game, Ish was suspended, Desi got benched multiple times for his behavior. I’m sure he is a good guy and to date has never done anything like this which is probably why he has earned the benefit of the doubt, but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be disciplined. He accepts the punishment and I think we should as well.

Why does there have to be? I think what he did is enough. It really shouldn't even be a story. It should be between him and the team, nothing more.
Humiliation, personal anguish, and public condemnation are not enough. Stone him in the public square. Afterwards give him some measure of due process at a show trial.

Last edited:
"your family, your religion, and the Green Bay Packers"

I guess Valvano was lucky Lombardi didn't coach for the Redskins.

Reactions: TomD82
No disrespect intended, but his players and assistant coaches, many of whom are minorities, came to bat for him. No one who has actually been around this guy, to my knowledge, has said his words reflect how he thinks or support a pattern of racism. From an outside perspective, it looks like the school bowed to pressure from people who have nothing to do with this and don’t know McDermott from a hole in the wall. But who are our “moral compass” because they have the “courage” to tweet some words in a 100 or so characters. So, yea, there seems to be grounds to question why they did it, because it’s a problem plaguing this country right now.
What dehere says is it. How did his players react. They are in his corner. So am I.

I don’t think anyone here has said he should be fired. I know some people outside this group but so far no one here has. For those that don’t think he should be suspended what should his consequences be?

Yes it was a mistake and I’m glad he apologized but there has to be some consequences. Otherwise what message are you sending to your student athletes. You are basically telling they can say whatever they want as long as you apologize if someone is offended. We have had several players face punishment under Willard which is one thing I like about him. He is teaching them how the real world works especially for young black men. I’m sure they apologized for their actions but there has to be consequences. Myles Powell was suspended for a preseason game, Ish was suspended, Desi got benched multiple times for his behavior. I’m sure he is a good guy and to date has never done anything like this which is probably why he has earned the benefit of the doubt, but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be disciplined. He accepts the punishment and I think we should as well.

What are you even talking about, consequences? For what??
First of all - newsflash - we live in a free country. People are SUPPOSED to be able to say what they want without fear of having their career and their livelihood TAKEN from them. You have no right to take a man's career away because you don't like what he says. That's pathetic, keyboard warrior bullcrap. You don't like what he stands for? Don't buy a god damn ticket, don't tune in on the television. Your wallet and your actions will be heard loud and clear and if it's really that serious, enough people will do the same and change will happen.. But it's real easy to sit behind a keyboard, write a social media post, and "demand consequences". Give me a break.

Secondly, there's a world of difference between "saying whatever you want" and doing what McDermott did. It was CLEAR he was trying to use a an analogy that was completely harmless, and the wrong word came out of his mouth in the thick of an empassioned speech. The man explained himself and apologized, his players support him, end of story. If you can't see that much, I can't take you seriously.

First of all - newsflash - we live in a free country. People are SUPPOSED to be able to say what they want without fear of having their career and their livelihood TAKEN from them. You have no right to take a man's career away because you don't like what he says. That's pathetic, keyboard warrior bullcrap. You don't like what he stands for? Don't buy a god damn ticket, don't tune in on the television. Your wallet and your actions will be heard loud and clear and if it's really that serious, enough people will do the same and change will happen.. But it's real easy to sit behind a keyboard, write a social media post, and "demand consequences". Give me a break.

Secondly, there's a world of difference between "saying whatever you want" and doing what McDermott did. It was CLEAR he was trying to use a an analogy that was completely harmless, and the wrong word came out of his mouth in the thick of an empassioned speech. The man explained himself and apologized, his players support him, end of story. If you can't see that much, I can't take you seriously.
This is foolish logic, would love for you to go to your HR coordinator and your area lead on Monday and say I am going to state things I want to say regardless of this company's supposed employee standards...further no doubt that coaches have a standards and ethics clause in their contracts...yes we have the 1st amendment but universities and public and private employers also have rules, regulations and punishments as well.

It doesn't quite work that way and I am one who will fight for your First Amendment rights forever.

You have the right to say what you want but that right is not without consequence. That's especially so when you are the a public face of your employer. As a representative of, in this case, Creighton, the University is well within its rights to discipline Greg McDermott for what he said. Whether he misspoke and made a mistake or had every intention of saying exactly what he said, he said it.

Put another way, I have every right to post that Greg McDermott is a blankety, blanking, blank blank (using more colorful language than that). Chances are Halldan would either suspend my posting privileges or outright ban me.

I'm not suggesting in the least that McDermott lose his job. But I have no issue with them taking the action they have.

The 1st Amendment only prevents the federal government from censoring you.

Reactions: sami
It doesn't quite work that way and I am one who will fight for your First Amendment rights forever.

You have the right to say what you want but that right is not without consequence. That's especially so when you are the a public face of your employer. As a representative of, in this case, Creighton, the University is well within its rights to discipline Greg McDermott for what he said. Whether he misspoke and made a mistake or had every intention of saying exactly what he said, he said it.

Put another way, I have every right to post that Greg McDermott is a blankety, blanking, blank blank (using more colorful language than that). Chances are Halldan would either suspend my posting privileges or outright ban me.

I'm not suggesting in the least that McDermott lose his job. But I have no issue with them taking the action they have.

I don't disagree with you. I also understand what the 1st Amendment is and what it actually protects and does not. But the problem is, the "consequences" in our current social climate have been manipulated by a contingency of overreactive, crap-brewing individuals that want nothing more than to burn anyone to ash that THEY feel like. Employers, government offices, etc are all being unduly pressured by this radical mob of social justice warriors. As a result, the "consequences" for a lot of what is happening lately is extreme and does not fit the offense.

Some of the posts on this thread are a clear demonstration, to me, that there are individuals who can't seem to understand the difference between saying something inappropriate on purpose, saying something insensitive but without malicious intent, or actually flubbing one's words and meaning something else entirely. Extrapolate the numbers of those people here over our national population, and you have a a very vocal minority of irrational people who will demand the head of folks and, although they don't represent the majority of the country, have a large enough presence online to coerce Company's into doing it.

Well said, sir. You hit the nail on the head. Irrational is a great word to describe these people. Like a virus, they have infiltrated and infected businesses, media companies and others with their poisonous and divisive agenda. Many of them reside in so-called "diversity and inclusion" departments.

Well said, sir. You hit the nail on the head. Irrational is a great word to describe these people. Like a virus, they have infiltrated and infected businesses, media companies and others with their poisonous and divisive agenda. Many of them reside in so-called "diversity and inclusion" departments.
Yes so bad that a system of checks, balances and accountability is working.

Here is how I feel, on McDermott he misspoke with a poor choice of words, I am not privy to sections of his contract, he deserves to face discipline from his employer as a text or tweet I am sorry is not enough of a moment of contrition for this circumstance.

I have been on record on LOTS threads, one can have the most reprehensible thoughts against a culture, race, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic group...the moment you disclose something across a social media account that you chose to launch and associate yourself as a representative of a specific organization which likely comes with a handbook and social media policy, I have no sympathy if you professionally perish.

Here is how I feel, on McDermott he misspoke with a poor choice of words, I am not privy to sections of his contract, he deserves to face discipline from his employer as a text or tweet I am sorry is not enough of a moment of contrition for this circumstance.

I have been on record on LOTS threads, one can have the most reprehensible thoughts against a culture, race, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic group...the moment you disclose something across a social media account that you chose to launch and associate yourself as a representative of a specific organization which likely comes with a handbook and social media policy, I have no sympathy if you professionally perish.
He spoke to a closed locker room. He didn’t text or tweet or post this. And you’re okay with him “professionally perishing”? Wow. The inhumanity that it takes to put that in writing. It’s scary. Son, you need to examine your soul.

He spoke to a closed locker room. He didn’t text or tweet or post this. And you’re okay with him “professionally perishing”? Wow. The inhumanity that it takes to put that in writing. It’s scary. Son, you need to examine your soul.
He spoke to a lockerroom that have Africa-american people within it. He tweet/text I am sorry while an act of contrition, is not good enough in this spot. Creighton, his employer, a private one at that, did not handle this well from the start at middle of week. I am sorry, if he did not want this disclosed that it took place, he should have used other words.

As for my 2nd graph, that has to do with any person who chooses to launch social media, proudly aknowledges what they do/who they do it for and then commit social media violations/infractions, displays of hatred towards a siutation. At that point, I have no sympathy and if they professionally perish they self inflicted the damage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT