ADVERTISEMENT

Will the Pirates be great next season?

mikewalsh

All Big East
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2019
I don’t think seton hall will be great, but I expect to be competitive and finish top half of the big east. Lots of depth, but lots of average players.

Reactions: mikewalsh
CBS publishes their 2022 mock draft today and Kadary Richmond is a late 1st round pick. I believe that Rhoden has a chance to be drafted as well. Imagine 2 NBA draft picks in 2022 - that would result in a great season and a big boost for recruiting.

GO PIRATES!!!

The 2000-01 team had two first round picks (Nos. 7 & 26). We saw how well that worked out.

I think we will be very good. 3rd BE team and we will finally make a run in the tourney.
Expecting very good also. Depending on how things break, could sneak into the top 20. The three key pieces are Richmond, Rhoden and Yetna. Some very nice complementary pieces as well. Depth always sounds great during the summer until you find out you’re really not as deep… Lol

Expecting very good also. Depending on how things break, could sneak into the top 20. The three key pieces are Richmond, Rhoden and Yetna. Some very nice complementary pieces as well. Depth always sounds great during the summer until you find out you’re really not as deep… Lol
I'd put the consistent improvement of Ike as a key piece.

Great? Doubtful. There are no superstars like we have become accustomed to watching. But there are a lot of very good players.

To be our best the sum of the parts will have to be greater than the whole.

Meaning health, good fortune, chemistry and coaching will dictate how the season goes.

Great? Doubtful. There are no superstars like we have become accustomed to watching. But there are a lot of very good players.

Meaning health, good fortune, chemistry and coaching will dictate how the season goes.
Let’s hope you got that reversed!! The 2001 squad was a perfect example of the sum of the parts is greater than the whole (meaning they didn’t play well together). I think next years team will be a case of the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

agree 100%. This should be a challenge and a test for Willard to coach outside of his comfort area. He has n superstar to ride with this team. This is a team with maybe 9 to 10 possible contributors. Can he make the most use of his depth? Can he change his style of coaching to take advantage of the talent he has on this squad?

If I were Willard and Jared, I would be working hardest on my three. That opens up so much for him, makes it so hard to guard his mid game. And it would be a huge asset come draft day if he shot high 30s.

I am ever the optimist, and see lots of reasons for that to continue. But we have a lot of new faces.

We are best when we have exceptional guard play. We sure have a lot of exceptional guards this year. Four guards who are experienced and can handle and score the ball. Jahari upping his game adds to the talent pool and makes everyone fight harder for time. Any input from the freshmen is a bonus. I am excited to see this.

Great? Idk yet. Lots of new pieces. Potential is there though. Some very good players and options.

I expect this roster to be NCAA Tournament caliber.

I do like this team. As you say there are a number of good players -- really I think every player on the roster is a high major contributor.

That said, it's still early. There are a lot of new pieces and a lot of shifting roles. Having a full and normal summer will be a big help for this team.

I think they finish anywhere from second to fifth in the BE and make the NCAAs. If things gel right, they're a top half seed in the tournament.

I very highly doubt Rhoden will be anywhere near a draft pick. He should have a very good season but just doesn’t have what today’s NBA is looking for.. there’s a reason Kadary is a possible 1st rounder and it’s not based on results like Rhoden…

I thought a few years ago that Mamu, Rhoden and Samuel was our best to get drafted. As the years have gone by, I think Rhoden still has a chance based on his complete skill set but would need a high scoring average this year to get noticed for the 2nd round - that likely will not happen with KR.

Or can we get 2 players averaging 17 - 20 points per game ?

I very highly doubt Rhoden will be anywhere near a draft pick. He should have a very good season but just doesn’t have what today’s NBA is looking for.. there’s a reason Kadary is a possible 1st rounder and it’s not based on results like Rhoden…
In my opinion, fans greatly underestimate how unbelievably difficult it is to make the NBA.

I would love for rhoden to make it, but he would need to make an extreme jump in his senior year.

I thought a few years ago that Mamu, Rhoden and Samuel was our best to get drafted. As the years have gone by, I think Rhoden still has a chance based on his complete skill set but would need a high scoring average this year to get noticed for the 2nd round - that likely will not happen with KR.

Or can we get 2 players averaging 17 - 20 points per game ?

When it comes to a guy like Rhoden and the NBA, it’s a classic numbers game. There are way more Jared Rhoden’s out there than spots available.

I disagree. Rhoden is very much the type of player the NBA is looking for. He's potentially the classic 3 and D player.

He has good size, can shoot from a variety of spots on the floor and he is a solid defender across multiple positions. Yes, he needs to improve various aspects of his game -- a more consistent shot, especially from three-point range and a better handle are chief among them. Even though the young man is insanely ripped, he probably could stand an extra 10-15 pounds while retaining his quickness and agility.

With that said, getting drafted will be difficult. As Lloyde pointed out there are a number of similar players in the NBA now and in college as well. Many of the college players do what Jared does at least as well. Still, I expect Jared to make plenty of money playing basketball if he wishes.

I disagree. Rhoden is very much the type of player the NBA is looking for. He's potentially the classic 3 and D player.

He has good size, can shoot from a variety of spots on the floor and he is a solid defender across multiple positions. Yes, he needs to improve various aspects of his game -- a more consistent shot, especially from three-point range and a better handle are chief among them. Even though the young man is insanely ripped, he probably could stand an extra 10-15 pounds while retaining his quickness and agility.

With that said, getting drafted will be difficult. As Lloyde pointed out there are a number of similar players in the NBA now and in college as well. Many of the college players do what Jared does at least as well. Still, I expect Jared to make plenty of money playing basketball if he wishes.
Can he do what a Donte DiVicenzo does? Borderline, but it's not a stretch.

Reactions: mbraue

Rhoden shot 30% from 3 last year.

With his size and skill-set, that number needs to be in the high-high 30s next year or above 40%. And he needs to show the versatility to guard multiple players on the perimeter, especially wings that may be bigger, longer and more athletic.

Let’s use the Champagne kid as a comp (the one who stayed not left). He’s taller and longer than Rhoden. He shot in the high 30s from 3, I believe, on a team with less offensive threats. And he probably wouldn’t have been drafted even though he is younger and longer than Rhoden, both of which factor in his favor. From reading Braziller’s articles, the feedback is that he needs to maintain or shoot at even a slightly better clip from 3, plus improve his ability to guard on the perimeter and handle the ball. And that’s to have a shot at being a late first or second round pick. That’s where Rhoden needs to get to

Can he do what a Donte DiVicenzo does? Borderline, but it's not a stretch.
Love Rhoden, but right now he isn’t the athlete, ballahndler/playmaker or shooter than Donte is or showed at the end of his Nova tenure.

Rhoden shot 30% from 3 last year.

With his size and skill-set, that number needs to be in the high-high 30s next year or above 40%. And he needs to show the versatility to guard multiple players on the perimeter, especially wings that may be bigger, longer and more athletic.

Let’s use the Champagne kid as a comp (the one who stayed not left). He’s taller and longer than Rhoden. He shot in the high 30s from 3, I believe, on a team with less offensive threats. And he probably wouldn’t have been drafted even though he is younger and longer than Rhoden, both of which factor in his favor. From reading Braziller’s articles, the feedback is that he needs to maintain or shoot at even a slightly better clip from 3, plus improve his ability to guard on the perimeter and handle the ball. And that’s to have a shot at being a late first or second round pick. That’s where Rhoden needs to get to

I agree with all of this. Rhoden is the type of player the NBA likes. But he has a long jump to get to that level.

One other thing I think he needs to do is refine his consistency. There were too many 4-9, 4-11 and 5-15 type games, especially later in the season and not enough 7-11 shooting nights. That goes hand in hand with being a better three-point shooter.

You are HIGHLY overrating him based on your fandom of the team. He is not a 3 and D guy. He is a midrange and offensive rebound putback guy with a decent outside shot and average to below average size.

Very good college and seton hall player. NBA, no.

If I were Willard and Jared, I would be working hardest on my three. That opens up so much for him, makes it so hard to guard his mid game. And it would be a huge asset come draft day if he shot high 30s.

I am ever the optimist, and see lots of reasons for that to continue. But we have a lot of new faces.
He can’t dribble and has a mediocre BBIQ that is what is holding him back.

• Haha

Somewhat disagree here. Rhoden will be the "superstar" this season and if the analyst is correct about Richmond, that would make two "superstars". I wouldn't use the term superstar for Mamu, Powell, Rhoden or Richmond, they're very good players.

Rhoden is way ahead of Mamu when you compare junior season stats:
- PTS Mamu 11.9 Rhoden 14.9
- RBS Mamu 6.0 Rhoden 6.7
- AST Mamu 1.4 Rhoden 1.9

Rhoden has one of the best step back jump shots in the NCAA, he doesn't have to depend on the 3, he should work more on his inside game and leave the 3 to others. He has better rebounding skills and is a better defensive player than Mamu. Rhoden is more athletic than both Mamu and Powell.

The Pirates will have a very good PG that will open up offensive opportunities for Rhoden, something that Mamu and Powell didn't have. The kid is 6'6" and is well positioned for the NBA, assuming he improves from his junior season. Don't forget that he was .833 from the charity strip.

I predict that Rhoden will eclipse Mamu's senior stats for PTS, RBS, AST, TO, STL and FT, he doesn't have to improve drastically to do so.

GO PIRATES!!!

• Wow
Reactions: TheHall87
Somewhat disagree here. Rhoden will be the "superstar" this season and if the analyst is correct about Richmond, that would make two "superstars". I wouldn't use the term superstar with Mamu, Powell, Rhoden or Richmond, they're very good players.

Rhoden is way ahead of Mamu when you compare junior season stats:
- PTS Mamu 11.9 Rhoden 14.9
- RBS Mamu 6.0 Rhoden 6.7
- AST Mamu 1.4 Rhoden 1.9

Rhoden has one of the best step back jump shots in the NCAA, he doesn't have to depend on the 3, he should work more on his inside game and leave the 3 to others. He has better rebounding skills and is a better defensive player than Mamu. Rhoden is more athletic than both Mamu and Powell.

The Pirates will have a very good PG that will open up offensive opportunities for Rhoden, something that Mamu and Powell didn't have. The kid is 6'6" and is well positioned for the NBA, assuming he improves from his junior season. Don't forget that he was .833 from the charity strip.

I predict that Rhoden will eclipse Mamu's senior stats for PTS, RBS, AST, TO, STL and FT, he doesn't have to improve drastically to do so.

GO PIRATES!!!
Apples to oranges in comparison for Jr year stats. The offenses were not the same and Mamu had a major injury.

Rhoden will not make the NBA unless his game and defense improve significantly.

mamus offensive flexibility only was able to
get him what 4 picks prior to being undrafted?

Reactions: HallGuy23
One thing Rhoden can do to really boost his stock is go back to hitting the boards. If he can get some more muscle and strength he can possibly attract some scouts’ attention as a 3 point SF who can rebound.

The second half of last year he wasn’t doing what he usually does—getting loose balls, winning the long rebounds and creating more possessions for the team. This team has a lot more offensive weapons than last year, so I hope Jared can find his game within what he’s given and not try to do too much.

Reactions: thehall07
Rhoden is a very, very good college player. With that said the amount of talent in the NCAA, G League, internationally is staggering at this point in time. Getting drafted is TOUGH especially for seniors as more often than not they are playing 4 years of college ball because they have not yet projected as draftable, rosterable NBA pros during their careers (there are exceptions here, obviously).

Take this years draft:
1st Round - 1 senior drafted
2nd Round - 5 seniors drafted

Rhoden is going to be a tremendous player this year, hopefully, on a tremendous team. Sticking on an NBA roster is tough though and regardless of how much he improves from 3, rebounding, defensively, etc. will not be easy nor should it be the expectation with even considerable improvement.

Rhoden is a very, very good college player. With that said the amount of talent in the NCAA, G League, internationally is staggering at this point in time. Getting drafted is TOUGH especially for seniors as more often than not they are playing 4 years of college ball because they have not yet projected as draftable, rosterable NBA pros during their careers (there are exceptions here, obviously).

Take this years draft:

Rhoden is going to be a tremendous player this year, hopefully, on a tremendous team. Sticking on an NBA roster is tough though and regardless of how much he improves from 3, rebounding, defensively, etc. will not be easy nor should it be the expectation with even considerable improvement.
A lot don’t seem to grasp this concept

Take this years draft:

A lot don’t seem to grasp this concept

A lot of very good college basketball players go undrafted every year.

Reactions: PirateEmotion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT