ADVERTISEMENT

Will the Pirates be great next season?

Somewhat disagree here. Rhoden will be the "superstar" this season and if the analyst is correct about Richmond, that would make two "superstars". I wouldn't use the term superstar for Mamu, Powell, Rhoden or Richmond, they're very good players.

Rhoden is way ahead of Mamu when you compare junior season stats:
- PTS Mamu 11.9 Rhoden 14.9
- RBS Mamu 6.0 Rhoden 6.7
- AST Mamu 1.4 Rhoden 1.9

Rhoden has one of the best step back jump shots in the NCAA, he doesn't have to depend on the 3, he should work more on his inside game and leave the 3 to others. He has better rebounding skills and is a better defensive player than Mamu. Rhoden is more athletic than both Mamu and Powell.

The Pirates will have a very good PG that will open up offensive opportunities for Rhoden, something that Mamu and Powell didn't have. The kid is 6'6" and is well positioned for the NBA, assuming he improves from his junior season. Don't forget that he was .833 from the charity strip.

I predict that Rhoden will eclipse Mamu's senior stats for PTS, RBS, AST, TO, STL and FT, he doesn't have to improve drastically to do so.

GO PIRATES!!!
Myles Powell was absolutely a college superstar. Few guards were playing better at the end of his junior year. He was our most heralded player since my namesake going into his senior year, unless you want to count Eddie Griffin projections. Obviously he wasn’t a superstar his senior year on balance, though he played like one before injuries. And even his very good was still among the best we’ve had in a while.

Mamu wasn’t a superstar last year. He was somewhere between star and very good because of his versatility and uniqueness for his size.

Rhoden has a ways to get to that. Ditto for Richmond, who showed flashes but is more of an upside projection right now. Of course I like both very much and am excited to watch them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT