ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA

Burnsly

All American
Jan 9, 2008
Only a matter of time before Caitlin Clark gets hurt. Watch the WNBA ratings free-fall if that happens.

Only a matter of time before Caitlin Clark gets hurt. Watch the WNBA ratings free-fall if that happens.
Nice point, my daughter who is 12 loves Clark and she watches her games on TV whenever she is on. If Clark is out due to injury she doesn’t have a fall back player at this point that would keep her interested in watching. The arena’s selling out Clark’s road games should be enough for the league to realize what she is doing for ratings

Reactions: silkcitypirate
It's pretty normal rookie stuff in the WNBA. It's just under a microscope because of the all the attention paid to Clark. Taken out of context, it may look bad to you, but it's nothing new there. A new audience is just seeing it now for the first time.

It'll be fine.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Her teammates dont defend her

That's the biggest thing. It doesn't help that their team as constructed is on a 1 way ticket to see if she can play alongside Paige Bueckers but they need to toughen up on that angle

I also say that while she is indisputably talented, she's not particularly likable. I suspect that contributes as well.

To me that’s overlooked here. She projects differently to the general public than she does to the players and coaches in the league. To the general public she comes off as rhe humble, girl-next-door type, which is why she is so marketable. On the court she’s cussed out refs and picked up several technicals, frequently sparring and jawing with other players.

She is not a victim, but she also should be protected to some degree, first and foremost by her own teammates, who were obviously noticeably absent during the ruckus on Saturday.

Reactions: CL82 and Bluebeard
Not likeable? She's the most popular women's player, ever.

True but she’s also a bit of an asshole on the court.

Same reason a lot of people can’t stand LeBron. Shows greatness, then complains to the refs constantly and flops a fair amount. There are definitely players trying to make a point against her, so I get that’s she’s frustrated to be fair to her.

Doesn’t help that her team is horrendous and offers little help.

It's pretty normal rookie stuff in the WNBA. It's just under a microscope because of the all the attention paid to Clark. Taken out of context, it may look bad to you, but it's nothing new there. A new audience is just seeing it now for the first time.

It'll be fine.
There is possibly more to this. Women like Bird and Taurasi (loved watching them at Uconn, loved they show in ESPM this season) have excelled forever and Clark is far more well known. It isnt clarks fault but it has to piss them off some. And I have read about gay/straight stuff.

I cant remember any male rookie joininga league and immediately being the most well known player, and by far.

True but she’s also a bit of an asshole on the court.

Same reason a lot of people can’t stand LeBron. Shows greatness, then complains to the refs constantly and flops a fair amount. There are definitely players trying to make a point against her, so I get that’s she’s frustrated to be fair to her.

Doesn’t help that her team is horrendous and offers little help.
I was amazed at the poise and consistency she showed during the college season. She flops, she complains but IMO she is very likeable.

I was amazed at the poise and consistency she showed during the college season. She flops, she complains but IMO she is very likeable.
Female version of Larry Bird. Gym rat, can make a shot from anywhere, excellent passer, court vision, energizer bunny. Bird also had that trash talking edge too, but left it on the court as Clark does as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: silkcitypirate
Sabrina is straight, white and has her own shoe.
Doesn’t get nearly the hate Caitlin attracts.

I don’t think sexuality and race are really driving anything here.
IMO, it is mostly about the disproportionate pub she gets. And Internet news makes that worse. Put up a story on her, you're getting clicks.

I dont know who Sabrina is. And maybe that is part of why she is getting the backlash.

Reactions: Burnsly and Merge
WNBA basketball is terrible. I’m waiting for the media to just come out and say that. More than any other sport that men & women both play the difference is so remarkable that it’s hard to watch. The USA women’s soccer team is routinely destroyed by high school age club teams but at least women’s soccer is still kind of watchable. I think this hype dies down over the next year and it goes back to status quo which is putrid ratings and low attendance.

Taurisi from UConn was the last player that I knew from the WNBA.

Until Clark. Seems to be the most popular player in either men's or women's college basketball.

Still haven't watched a WNBA game in years, though. No rooting interest, and frankly, find it boring. I DID see the internet clip of her getting fouled from behind, and was surprised that none of her teammates came to her assistance.

Personally I have Caitlin Clark fatigue.

Not only is every game an event akin to the Super Bowl but she's in more commercials than Jake from State Farm and the gambling sites. I don't watch but it's still unavoidable.

I'm not sure if she's being treated unfairly or not. I did see the one play where she was pushed. It was blatant and unnecessary but not especially dangerous. It's well known she likes to talk trash and I do think her on-court demeanor is at odds with her off-court persona.

She is a tremendous basketball player and she is a Godsend to Women's sports in general and basketball in particular. The fact that this year's NCAA Women's Championship game was the most-watched basketball game in five years should say something.

She will bring eyes to the WNBA in a way that Magic and Bird and eventually Jordan did many years ago (some of us are old enough to remember when NBA Finals games were shown on tape delay after the late local news).

She is not alone in that pursuit. Sabrina Ionescu, Angel Reese, Aliyah Boston and others came into the league as established collegiate stars and likewise are pushing the game forward. The growth of the college game is helping fuel the WNBA's growth.

Eventually Caitlin will earn her stripes and get every call the way Magic, Bird, Jordan, LeBron and Kobe did and the world will continue to rotate on its axis.

At the rate things are going, she will get hurt. I think when the numbers drop, then it will justify why the NFL doesn't let you breath on a QB.

Reactions: HALL85
There is possibly more to this. Women like Bird and Taurasi (loved watching them at Uconn, loved they show in ESPM this season) have excelled forever and Clark is far more well known. It isnt clarks fault but it has to piss them off some. And I have read about gay/straight stuff.

I cant remember any male rookie joininga league and immediately being the most well known player, and by far.
I agree there is likely a "what about me" feeling among those that came before her, and are in the game now...BUT, like it or not, she has brought more eyeballs to the women's game than ANYONE before her...which is good for all of them.

Kill the goose...and no golden eggs.

Instead of trying to push her down, they should be building her up ("yeah she's taking lumps now, but you can see with her talent and tenacity that she will be a star in this league" type stuff) because it is those young girls growing up with her that can bring not only their generation to the game, but their kids generation, and so on.

They have their "pied piper"....lets see what they do with it.

Reactions: Seton75

Until Clark. Seems to be the most popular player in either men's or women's college basketball.

Still haven't watched a WNBA game in years, though. No rooting interest, and frankly, find it boring. I DID see the internet clip of her getting fouled from behind, and was surprised that none of her teammates came to her assistance.
Agree that I havent much paid attention to the women's game until Clark, and specifically her season this year, and the NCAA games. Watched both intently...and they were played at a HIGH level and athletic. Was very impressed.

Dont watch the WNBA...but I dont watch the NBA either, so that means nothing for me.

The WNBA especially with this most recent crop of players has a lot of talent. But if you want to see basketball being played at its highest level, you watch the NBA. As a father of three daughters, it’s great to see women having so many different outlets. But as a spectator, if you want to see the best athleticism and skills, you watch the best which is the men’s game. If I want to watch the best golf, I watch the PGA and LIV, not the LPGA. If I want to watch the best soccer I watch the men’s game.

The impact Clark has made on the women’s game has been incredible but can she help the league which has been playing in smaller venues sustain the crowds long term.

For anyone old enough to remember, I compare this to when Pele join the Cosmos in the MSL. The huge crowds at Giants Stadium and rest of the league were short-lived.

Last edited:

Bird and Magic

Reactions: Burnsly
I agree there is likely a "what about me" feeling among those that came before her, and are in the game now...BUT, like it or not, she has brought more eyeballs to the women's game than ANYONE before her...which is good for all of them.

Kill the goose...and no golden eggs.

Instead of trying to push her down, they should be building her up ("yeah she's taking lumps now, but you can see with her talent and tenacity that she will be a star in this league" type stuff) because it is those young girls growing up with her that can bring not only their generation to the game, but their kids generation, and so on.

They have their "pied piper"....lets see what they do with it.
agreed. They are going to kill all the momentum they built up if they keep it up. I watch since my daughter likes Clark. We watch together. She plays and follows the women’s games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT