ADVERTISEMENT

Wow a 2025 4 star has shu in final 8

Unpopular opinion but until the rules change, I don't think it's wise to recruit expensive high school players. More often than not they need a couple years to acclimate to the college game and the chances of retaining them >2 years is remote. Especially if the NCAA is toying with the idea of making the 5th year of eligibility permanent.

I wouldn't get excited. I feel like most of these kids are using SHU to just bargain for a bigger payday. I think our best strategy is to at least build a rapport and when some of them flame out at their first school after they got paid we get them the following year at discount. We work with them and hopefully get them to stay for two years.

Last edited:
Not gonna get any of these kids. Hall only going to get the typical 100 and above type recruit like they have this yr

Not gonna get any of these kids. Hall only going to get the typical 100 and above type recruit like they have this yr
The 247 composite on him is 178 overall ranked recruit. 23rd point guard. That’s exactly what you just described as the type of recruit the Hall will get

Reactions: Fishjam and U-Hall
Sha won't "over pay" aka pay what the market dictates for 3rd, 4th, 5th year college players. No way he pays market price for most of these highly ranked/recruited high schoolers

Reactions: mbraue
I wonder who gets more money?. A 5 star kid graduating HS this year or a solid starter on a good team (like Dre for example) who will be a senior next season?

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCalBrett
Heard their athletic departments put this out as a statement

First, I am not a UCSB or LMU fan .......but as background. I use to pay a ton of attention to high school recruiting but I don't have (or make) as much time and my interest has gradually diminished over time and especially with NIL.

UCSB and LMU are probably included because of the historical connections between the Oakland Soldiers AAU program and those schools. In fact, UCSB has brought in at least one 4 star Oakland Soldiers recruit directly (Amandou Sow) from high school and others via transfer from the Soldiers. LMU has brought in multiple people from that program and they are being coached by Stanley Johnson (previously asst at Marquette, ASU, Utah, Drake, CSUN). Also, these are "local schools" and recruits often will go to "open gyms" with their players. Thus, there is incentive to keep the local school on your list.

Now, UCSB"s recruiting success was predominantly before NIL so everything changes. I don't know if UCSB and LMU are willing to spend as much as the big boys, but I do know UCSB spent substantial money to keep Ajay Mitchell (Knick's 2nd round pick this year) and spent (wasted) money on Yohan Traore (freshmen year at Auburn, then UCSB and now SMU) last year.

Also, a 4 star player out of high school would might get 25-30 mins per game there as opposed to 15-20 mins per game in the Big East. If they succeed, then watch out transfer portal.

The 247 composite on him is 178 overall ranked recruit. 23rd point guard. That’s exactly what you just described as the type of recruit the Hall will get

Well that 4 star I do got me. Didn't look into his actual rankings but how is a guy ranked that low connected to any thing saying he's a 4 star

First, I am not a UCSB or LMU fan .......but as background. I use to pay a ton of attention to high school recruiting but I don't have (or make) as much time and my interest has gradually diminished over time and especially with NIL.

UCSB and LMU are probably included because of the historical connections between the Oakland Soldiers AAU program and those schools. In fact, UCSB has brought in at least one 4 star Oakland Soldiers recruit directly (Amandou Sow) from high school and others via transfer from the Soldiers. LMU has brought in multiple people from that program and they are being coached by Stanley Johnson (previously asst at Marquette, ASU, Utah, Drake, CSUN). Also, these are "local schools" and recruits often will go to "open gyms" with their players. Thus, there is incentive to keep the local school on your list.

Now, UCSB"s recruiting success was predominantly before NIL so everything changes. I don't know if UCSB and LMU are willing to spend as much as the big boys, but I do know UCSB spent substantial money to keep Ajay Mitchell (Knick's 2nd round pick this year) and spent (wasted) money on Yohan Traore (freshmen year at Auburn, then UCSB and now SMU) last year.

Also, a 4 star player out of high school would might get 25-30 mins per game there as opposed to 15-20 mins per game in the Big East. If they succeed, then watch out transfer portal.

Well stated. Also for context, I'm not as jaded over NIL but my interest waned keeping up with the Big 10/12 and conference realignment getting ridiculous with how schools are recruiting players (as weird as that sounds). IMO, the lines are blurred when it's a financial game. In theory, what's to stop a McDonald's AA from going to a D3 school as long as the check clears.

I still think you have to go after some of these high school kids. Either you get the kid that blows up leading the team to the tourney and transfers out OR the boomerang that brings the kid here after it not working out the 1st time around

Reactions: SoCalBrett
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT