ADVERTISEMENT

Yacine Toumi

Looks like he has some very good offensive skills and size to get off his shots. Really thin though so can he match the physicality of the BE. Tough to see him as a 5 for any extended minutes.

Went 11/6 in MVC, shooting 21% from 3, 58% from ft.

I know everyone gets excited during these practices but come on...
Anyone have insight to share on this, from the staff or otherwise: Went 11/6 in MVC, shooting 21% from 3, 58% from ft.

Perhaps an injury? Poor system/fit. Kids get better all the time, especially a year-older, so there's that too. But just curious on what folks are hearing re: this player and how that squares with those numbers from last year in a mid-major league.

Reactions: Robot_Man
He did shoot .584 overall (as dehere stated) last year from the floor. Shot less than one three per game. Maybe he cant shoot threes, maybe he can get better, but he did have impressive #s from the field, which is a kind of significant stat. FT # is somewhat concerning. Lets hope he did whatever Jaden did last preseason to improve his fts.

Always amazed at guys who have a good fundamental stroke but can't hit FTs at a reasonable percentage. With the right coaching that should improve.

He can move with the ball so he has opportunities to get to the line if he can handle contact. Al Dawes seemed to avoid contact when he first came to SHU. Sha coached him up and he shot the most FTs for us last year and it made a huge difference. Kid has some tools - hoping we can coach him up and develop him. Hard to do in the NIL/Portal world.

2023-24:
  • Started and played in 33 games
  • Led the Purple Aces while finishing 11th in the MVC with an average of 6.45 rebounds per game
  • Converted 54.3% of his attempts (6th in the MVC)
  • His average of 5.15 defensive caroms per contest was 8th in the league
  • Set career scoring mark with 22 points against UIC; connected on 8 of his 10 shot attempts
  • Previous scoring high of 20 points came at UNI and in road win over SEMO
  • Recorded two double-doubles (10 pts, 10 rbs vs. Tennessee Tech and 19 pts, 10 rbs at Indiana State)

Anyone have insight to share on this, from the staff or otherwise: Went 11/6 in MVC, shooting 21% from 3, 58% from ft.

Perhaps an injury? Poor system/fit. Kids get better all the time, especially a year-older, so there's that too. But just curious on what folks are hearing re: this player and how that squares with those numbers from last year in a mid-major league.
Hey dehere23, no insight on the issue, but fwiw, Missouri Valley Conference was decent last year (Indiana State and Drake) and some of his better games came against good competition:

Cincy (Big 12) [17/9]
BYU (Big 12) [13/7]
Indiana State [19/10]

Look, I'm a big Toumi fan (and think I even got accused of writing him a "love letter" when he committed). ;) But more than anything for me, I got excited because he absolutely fit a need after we had whiffed on so many other big men.

Maybe the real issue, as expressed by other posters, is whether his frame can withstand the rigors of Big East competition.

Has an NBA game. At 6'10 with handles, athleticism and versatility, if he can improve his shooting from 3 point range this year I think he'll get some NBA consideration. I think he was already getting looks and if he can play well against BE competition I really think he can be playing in the pros like Rhoden and Mamu

Reactions: silkcitypirate
If he can give us a very solid 25 MPG I would be fine. We have other options at the power positions with talent, albeit most unproven.
Of the bigs, it looks like Yacine and Gus are the only two that can create offense, where as everyone else will be mostly clean-up or opportunity buckets.

Until I see him on defense, I’ll be a little cautious on that 25mpg number. Does he have the necessary physicality for extended minutes?

Not sure playing 25 MPG is that taxing. Plus he doesn't have to play extended minutes at a time.

You might be right, but I would be very surprised if he has any issues playing that many minutes per game.

Not sure playing 25 MPG is that taxing. Plus he doesn't have to play extended minutes at a time.

You might be right, but I would be very surprised if he has any issues playing that many minutes per game.
Dan, I’m thinking taxing if he has to guard a big five, like Ousamane, etc.

Has an NBA game. At 6'10 with handles, athleticism and versatility, if he can improve his shooting from 3 point range this year I think he'll get some NBA consideration. I think he was already getting looks and if he can play well against BE competition I really think he can be playing in the pros like Rhoden and Mamu
I agree if he can adjust to physical play in the BE.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Maybe burly centers will take a seat cause he runs circles round them on O.
Only if his shooting percentage improves.

Wasn’t that the Larry Davis strategy? That didn’t work out too well.

Just keep that old General Soreness away from Him. He’s nothing but trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT