ADVERTISEMENT

Zach's almost daily SJU article

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
The beginning of a LOVE affair? LOL

The expectations should be significant, but not fantastical.

St. John’s has put together a roster that is NCAA Tournament-caliber on paper and can potentially challenge to be near the bottom of top-25 rankings lists.

But fans shouldn’t expect magic in Year 1 of the Rick Pitino era, either.

That, essentially, was the feedback The Post received after it polled three college basketball analysts — Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports, John Fanta of Fox Sports and Travis Branham of 247Sports — and three college coaches, on condition of anonymity.

St. John’s should be able to finish in the top five of what is expected to be a loaded Big East after bringing in 11 new players in the two months since Pitino was hired.

They have an all-time great coach, so he can really maximize what they have,” one Big East coach said. “I think Marquette, Xavier, UConn, Creighton potentially are all ahead of them. But after that, I don’t see why they couldn’t put themselves in position to be top-six at the very least. They’ll be right back in the conversation as being a postseason team.”

Added Rothstein: “They’re a team now that should be projected as an NCAA Tournament team.”

Pitino’s name still resonates, even at the age of 70 and six years removed from last coaching at the high-major level, according to Branham.

His history of player development and producing pros remains enticing. In an extremely short period of time, he was able to raise the talent level of the program.

Pitino’s transfer class is ranked fourth nationally by 247Sports, the top-ranking resource for recruiting.

Of the 10 transfers brought in by St. John’s, six are considered four-stars ranking in the top-150. The one high school prospect, four-star wing Brady Dunlap, is a top-150 recruit. On paper at least, Pitino and his staff did well flipping the roster and surrounding standout big man Joel Soriano, an All-Big East second-team selection last year, with a capable supporting cast.

The key addition, the coaches and analysts agreed, was Jordan Dingle, the Ivy League Player of the Year and the nation’s second-leading scorer a year ago at 23.4 points per game on 46.4 percent shooting.

A Valley Stream, N.Y. native, Dingle heard from schools in every power conference in the country. Oregon, UCLA, Arkansas and Texas were among the interested parties.

Rothstein believes his addition gives St. John’s two all-league caliber players in Soriano and Dingle, a potentially dynamic inside-out duo.

A few of the coaches wondered about his adjustment to moving up from the Ivy League to one of the premier conferences in the country, but the 6-foot-3 guard clearly raises the ceiling for the program next winter.

“When they got Dingle, other Big East coaches said, ‘Yeah, this is going to be a problem for us,’ ” Fanta said. “That’s a huge chip.”

One of the coaches was highest on two of the younger additions: UMass transfer RJ Luis and Dunlap.

The uber-talented 6-7 Luis, who also considered Louisville and Texas A&M, was an All-Atlantic 10 freshman team selection. Dunlap was signed with Notre Dame before Mike Brey’s departure.

He picked St. John’s over Villanova, North Carolina, Nebraska and Penn State.

“I think [Luis] is the best long-term prospect. I think the kid is a pro,” the coach said. “I like Dunlap a lot. We know what Pitino has done with shooters similar to him. I’m a huge fan of his. To get him so late, it’s a good get.”

Pitino particularly focused on adding shooting, bringing in a number of players, from Dingle to Connecticut transfer Nahiem Alleyne to Iona transfer Daniss Jenkins and Dunlap, who can stroke it from deep.

St. John’s was 232nd in the nation in 3-point shooting a year ago at 33.1 percent.

Even worse, it only attempted 17.7 a game, which was 322nd in the country. Teams frequently packed the paint against the Johnnies, daring them to shoot from the perimeter.

That will be a strength of next year’s team.

Last season’s St. John’s players hit 407 career 3-pointers and the newcomers have made 795, and that doesn’t include Dunlap.

“Where in the past a lot of teams played zone against St. John’s, they’re not going to be playing zone against them next year, because you got guys who are going to make shots,” one of the coaches said. “When you have three or four guys who can shoot, then it becomes harder to guard a big guy or it becomes harder to guard a penetrating guard, because the defense is stretched out. They’re worried about guarding shooters. St. John’s hasn’t had that.”

There are a few areas of concern. It’s a completely new team, so it could take time for the group to become cohesive.

Another is the thin frontcourt. Iona 6-9 transfer Quinn Slazinski only played in seven games last year for the Gaels due to a foot injury.

Kansas transfer forward Zuby Ejiofor, while a talented former top-50 recruit, is raw and averaged just 5.2 minutes in his one season for the Jayhawks.

A lot will be riding on Soriano’s broad shoulders as the Red Storm will likely play small often with Luis and talented Oregon State wing Glenn Thomas Jr. at the 3 and the 4.

“I can see that being a problem,” another Big East coach said. “And then you’ve got a lot of similar guys. They’ve added like seven perimeter players. How many of them are going to be totally unique from each other? That would be my other thing, too.”

Offseason hype, it should be noted, is not necessarily new for St. John’s. It was supposedly one of the spring’s winners last year, after landing highly regarded transfers David Jones and Andre Curbelo and keeping much of the roster intact.

It obviously didn’t translate. Pitino wouldn’t be at St. John’s otherwise.

This, however, feels different.

There isn’t any concern about coaching, not with a legend like Pitino running the show.

The roster feels like it fits, a balance between shooters and slashers, experienced and young players with upside.

“Fact of the matter is Coach Pitino is going to coach them up. They’re going to get better,” one of the college coaches said. “You’re going to see a more organized team. It’s not going to be as chaotic as it was. It’s going to be more cleaned up.”

Said Fanta: “It is a tournament team. Dingle is going to be one of the best guards in the Big East. So you have one of the best guards in the Big East, you have one of the best bigs in the Big East [in Soriano] and you have one of the best coaches in the Big East.”

The coach is obviously the driving force behind all the optimism.

But players win games — and the experts believe St. John’s has enough of them to return to March Madness.

• Haha
Reactions: walshtrips
The expectations are high every year. I doubt that Rick will be able to manage egos, just as Anderson wasn't able to.

The expectations are high every year. I doubt that Rick will be able to manage egos, just as Anderson wasn't able to.
All seriousness, you think Pitino is going to have trouble managing talented players? Isn’t that’s exactly what he’s done for like 30+ years at the highest level? I mean he isn’t getting the talent there he had at Kentucky or Louisville.

All seriousness, you think Pitino is going to have trouble managing talented players? Isn’t that’s exactly what he’s done for like 30+ years at the highest level? I mean he isn’t getting the talent there he had at Kentucky or Louisville.
Kids making six figures has changed the game, I don't think Pitino will be able to manage the players as well as he used to. He's got 11 new players entering the program and he's 70.

Kids making six figures has changed the game, I don't think Pitino will be able to manage the players as well as he used to. He's got 11 new players entering the program and he's 70.
Some of his kids at Kentucky and Louisville were probably making something like that adjusted for inflation, lol. I mean that 1996 Kentucky team was unbelievably loaded.

Just because you're hoping for it doesn't make it a logical point.

Rick Pitino adds Greek guard Lefteris Liotopoulos to St. John’s 2024 recruiting class​

By Zach Braziller

Rick Pitino didn’t take any victory laps for his first St. John’s recruiting class, which included 11 new players across 55 days.

He got right to work on his second group, relying on his international connections to start the 2024 haul.

Pitino and St. John’s picked up a verbal commitment Tuesday afternoon for 2024 from highly regarded Greek guard Lefteris Liotopoulos of DEKA Academy.

During his time away from college basketball, Pitino coached Panathinaikos B.C. in the Greek pro league, and even briefly coached the country’s national team.

The 6-foot-5 Liotopoulos was also being recruited by Virginia, Stanford and Princeton, and knew if he waited until after the upcoming FIBA European Championships in Serbia this summer, in which he will play for Greece’s national team, he might have picked up other options.

But that didn’t appeal to him, and neither did signing with any of the top pro teams in Greece that were interested in him.

“I understand the fact that I would probably get more offers in the next few months, but it would be hard for me to refuse Rick Pitino’s offer, because he’s a legend in basketball,” Liotopoulos, 17, told The Post in a phone interview. “He’s a Hall of Fame coach. I was watching him coach Panathinaikos. He’s a great coach, a very successful coach.

“In the last two months, he has been calling me and watching my games. I’m very honored for this.”

Pitino was the lead recruiter, and made Liotopoulos feel wanted.

Liotopoulos is planning to make his first trip to New York City by early September and will visit St. John’s at that point.

This year for DEKA, Liotopoulos averaged 23.2 points, 7.7 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.5 steals, and shot 36 percent from 3-point range.

He also performed well in Greece’s Third Division, which includes older players, and led his team in scoring. He is considered a top-three Greek prospect for his age.

“He’s a fundamentally sound point guard. He’s a good, not great, athlete. Has a good feel for the game, good quickness,” said Fran Fraschilla, the former St. John’s coach and ESPN college basketball and NBA draft analyst, known for his knowledge of international prospects. “He’s a very sound, cerebral shooting point guard. Can really shoot it when he’s open. You can tell he has a good feel for the game, which should make him a good college guard. He does everything well for a point guard.”

Joseph Nikolaidis, the DEKA coach, said that Liotopoulos needs to add strength to his frame, particularly to help him on the defensive end.

But he raved about his offensive ability as a scorer, shooter and playmaker.

His greatest asset may be shooting on the move.

“He can play through contact, he can drive the ball. He’s very, very crafty when he gets in the lane,” Nikolaidis said.

Liotopoulos didn’t just pick St. John’s over other colleges, he chose the route less traveled.

Most players in his position from Greece would opt to go professional, but he liked the idea of coming to America to play college basketball and following in the footsteps of countrymen such as Konstantinos Mitoglou (Wake Forest) and Ioannis Papapetrou (Texas).

He has turned down professional opportunities that would have made him ineligible to attend St. John’s.

“I decided to go to college in the U.S. because I want to combine basketball with academics. I know it [will] be very useful after my basketball career,” Liotopoulos said. “It was a little tough to decide, but I think in the future, it’s going to pay off.”

Rick Pitino adds Greek guard Lefteris Liotopoulos to St. John’s 2024 recruiting class​

By Zach Braziller

Rick Pitino didn’t take any victory laps for his first St. John’s recruiting class, which included 11 new players across 55 days.

He got right to work on his second group, relying on his international connections to start the 2024 haul.

Pitino and St. John’s picked up a verbal commitment Tuesday afternoon for 2024 from highly regarded Greek guard Lefteris Liotopoulos of DEKA Academy.

During his time away from college basketball, Pitino coached Panathinaikos B.C. in the Greek pro league, and even briefly coached the country’s national team.

The 6-foot-5 Liotopoulos was also being recruited by Virginia, Stanford and Princeton, and knew if he waited until after the upcoming FIBA European Championships in Serbia this summer, in which he will play for Greece’s national team, he might have picked up other options.

But that didn’t appeal to him, and neither did signing with any of the top pro teams in Greece that were interested in him.

“I understand the fact that I would probably get more offers in the next few months, but it would be hard for me to refuse Rick Pitino’s offer, because he’s a legend in basketball,” Liotopoulos, 17, told The Post in a phone interview. “He’s a Hall of Fame coach. I was watching him coach Panathinaikos. He’s a great coach, a very successful coach.

“In the last two months, he has been calling me and watching my games. I’m very honored for this.”

Pitino was the lead recruiter, and made Liotopoulos feel wanted.

Liotopoulos is planning to make his first trip to New York City by early September and will visit St. John’s at that point.

This year for DEKA, Liotopoulos averaged 23.2 points, 7.7 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.5 steals, and shot 36 percent from 3-point range.

He also performed well in Greece’s Third Division, which includes older players, and led his team in scoring. He is considered a top-three Greek prospect for his age.

“He’s a fundamentally sound point guard. He’s a good, not great, athlete. Has a good feel for the game, good quickness,” said Fran Fraschilla, the former St. John’s coach and ESPN college basketball and NBA draft analyst, known for his knowledge of international prospects. “He’s a very sound, cerebral shooting point guard. Can really shoot it when he’s open. You can tell he has a good feel for the game, which should make him a good college guard. He does everything well for a point guard.”

Joseph Nikolaidis, the DEKA coach, said that Liotopoulos needs to add strength to his frame, particularly to help him on the defensive end.

But he raved about his offensive ability as a scorer, shooter and playmaker.

His greatest asset may be shooting on the move.

“He can play through contact, he can drive the ball. He’s very, very crafty when he gets in the lane,” Nikolaidis said.

Liotopoulos didn’t just pick St. John’s over other colleges, he chose the route less traveled.

Most players in his position from Greece would opt to go professional, but he liked the idea of coming to America to play college basketball and following in the footsteps of countrymen such as Konstantinos Mitoglou (Wake Forest) and Ioannis Papapetrou (Texas).

He has turned down professional opportunities that would have made him ineligible to attend St. John’s.

“I decided to go to college in the U.S. because I want to combine basketball with academics. I know it [will] be very useful after my basketball career,” Liotopoulos said. “It was a little tough to decide, but I think in the future, it’s going to pay off.”

Really don't get why SHU isn't tapping into the int'l scene more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT