ADVERTISEMENT

“Just beat Villanova and DePaul” looking pretty foolish.

burtmanjack

Freshman
Feb 1, 2020
Tar Heels getting smoked so far.

May already even be dead with FAU loss.

Dayton seeming like BEST case - and very iffy - scenario now.

No one to blame but themselves.

We are helped by UConn winning and Houston and Purdue losing. Makes UConn the #1 seed in the whole tournament putting more value on our win over them.

We are helped by UConn winning and Houston and Purdue losing. Makes UConn the #1 seed in the whole tournament putting more value on our win over them.
Unfortunately the UCONN win has been baked into the committee’s consideration of SHU for days. Tonite’s game and UCONN’s final seed line won’t change the weight given to that win, for good or bad.

After the OOC portion, being considered for the dance seemed like a pipe dream, so in that sense it feels like the season was a victory. However, we had a chance to annihilate all doubt with one victory and the team totally crapped the bed. This is what we’re stuck with - watching everyone else decide our fate - and it sucks.

Well we did beat BOTH of the teams in the BET finals
Yeah. And we did absolutely nothing else. Beat mediocre Villanova at their lowest in 10+ years, mediocre St Johns? We’re last team in if we are lucky….. never count on luck

Yeah. And we did absolutely nothing else. Beat mediocre Villanova at their lowest in 10+ years, mediocre St Johns? We’re last team in if we are lucky….. never count on luck
first off, beating the #1 and #10 team mean alot . what did sju do? beat crieighton

Reactions: silkcitypirate
first off, beating the #1 and #10 team mean alot . what did sju do? beat crieighton
Who wants to tell him Creighton is ranked higher in the NET than Marquette?

St. John's has four better non-conference wins than our best OOC win. Does that not matter?

I will say, as I've been saying for a while, non-conference matters a lot. The committee considers OOC games differentiators because those are the game teams choose to play.

We're talking about two teams with a difference of one-half game on their overall record and there is little difference in many of the categories either way. The idea that either team's resume is significantly better than the others isn't true.

Reactions: shu09

St. John's has four better non-conference wins than our best OOC win. Does that not matter?

I will say, as I've been saying for a while, non-conference matters a lot. The committee considers OOC games differentiators because those are the game teams choose to play.

We're talking about two teams with a difference of one-half game on their overall record and there is little difference in many of the categories either way. The idea that either team's resume is significantly better than the others isn't true.

St. Johns: 20-13, 4-10 Q1, 6-2 Q2, 3-1 Q3, 7-0 Q4

Seton Hall: 20-12, 5-8 Q1, 4-3 Q2, 2-1 Q3, 9-0 Q4

We're better in Q1 games. It's a wash in Q1/Q2. We beat them both regular season games. We finished ahead of them in a true round robin league. There is nothing in the numbers that gives them the leg up

We're better in Q1 games. It's a wash in Q1/Q2. We beat them both regular season games. We finished ahead of them in a true round robin league. There is nothing in the numbers that gives them the leg up
There are def arguments for SHU. But there are also arguments against. I suspect the latter will prevail.

Also think that SJU is dead in the water too after today's events, and that the head to head debate is now academic.

Nobody is considering the two tournament teams we beat in non-conference. Wagner and St. Peter’s.
The fact that they won auto-bids in low mid majors does not magically transform them into consequential wins,

If it would have been a "bad" loss, winning doesn't move the needle.

Do Virginia's games against NC State, FAU's against Temple/UAB, or Colorado's against Oregon suddenly matter more now for resume purposes?

Last edited:
Hurley is smart, like him or not. The BE wants as many teams as possible. BE fans should want as many as possible so long as not at our expense. I know some of you guys don’t care about that with certain teams that occupy too much real estate in your heads, but 3 bids for the league would be a huge disappointment, and we should get no less than 5.

Hurley is smart, like him or not. The BE wants as many teams as possible. BE fans should want as many as possible so long as not at our expense. I know some of you guys don’t care about that with certain teams that occupy too much real estate in your heads, but 3 bids for the league would be a huge disappointment, and we should get no less than 5.
I want as many BE teams in as possible. But I don't really get the "should get x in" argument.

It is not an absolute question, but a relative one. It also is season-dependent. There simply aren't as many at large available as in a normal year, and the bubble is unusually strong (i.e., largely indistingishable) to boot.

Also, the committee makes clear year after year that it is comparing teams, not conferences.

That's why the SEC and B10 are looking for auto bids/byes for multiple teams in the new CFP, and why there has been such pushback against that idea.

Lunardi's latest. No SJU, no UVA. SHU now third team out as he sees it. Lunardi is often wrong at the margin of the field -- but will he be THAT far off? I don't see it, but with a flat bubble . . . ?

The fact that they won auto-bids in low mid majors does not magically transform them into consequential wins,

Do Virginia's games against NC State, FAU's against Temple/UAB, or Colorado's against Oregon suddenly matter more now for resume purposes?
I should have added a 😉.

I want as many BE teams in as possible. But I don't really get the "should get x in" argument.

It is not an absolute question, but a relative one. It also is season-dependent. There simply aren't as many at large available as in a normal year, and the bubble is unusually strong (i.e., largely indistingishable) to boot.

Also, the committee makes clear year after year that it is comparing teams, not conferences.

That's why the SEC and B10 are looking for auto bids/byes for multiple teams in the new CFP, and why there has been such pushback against that idea.
Have to admit it seems odd/wrong that the 2nd highest rated conference has the 7th most bids (per Lunardi).

This is my point. First team out. Third team out. Prov as the 5th team out.
The committee is never going to set the field, then look and see that any particular conference has fewer than expected bids, and then swap teams in and out to address that.

You want to make it in the tournament, you don’t lose by 19 to SJU. You make it a lock and beat them or really compete. They didn’t. Sad that the bubble this year was much stronger than usual, but you know that going in. Also sad they're just kids who didn’t understand the gravity of the situation.

We outperformed our original projections and that’s enough to take encouragement about the coach going into a (hopefully) stronger next year in terms of NIL, but leaves us devastated on a year that usually would get us in the tournament.

Hopefully the fire burns strong within Sha to not accept the NIT for his 3rd year. Been spurned at the goal posts 2 years in a row. Let’s regroup and come back stronger next year. No 20+ point losses on the regular. I believe. See you next season.

You want to make it in the tournament, you don’t lose by 19 to SJU. You make it a lock and beat them or really compete. They didn’t. Sad that the bubble this year was much stronger than usual, but you know that going in. Also sad they're just kids who didn’t understand the gravity of the situation.

We outperformed our original projections and that’s enough to take encouragement about the coach going into a (hopefully) stronger next year in terms of NIL, but leaves us devastated on a year that usually would get us in the tournament.

Hopefully the fire burns strong within Sha to not accept the NIT for his 3rd year. Been spurned at the goal posts 2 years in a row. Let’s regroup and come back stronger next year. No 20+ point losses on the regular. I believe. See you next season.

Also sad they're just kids who didn’t understand the gravity of the situation.

Are you for real?

I don't think that is true. The category under consideration is "wins over the field".

The committee is never going to set the field, then look and see that any particular conference has fewer than expected bids, and then swap teams in and out to address that.
But it may take another look at the fringes like Michigan State and in my mind FAU. Gavit described the scrubbing process and that the committee actually picks more teams than the field to scrub from 1 to 68.

Quad 1 and 2 wins 10 vs 9 is the only thing I see, well that and recency bias. It's close.

Gotta say I wish the OOC mattered when the Big 10 was getting smoked in 2021 & 2022.

It did not

screwed. But also they have themselves to blame. The blow out losses really dinged the NET.

screwed. But also they have themselves to blame. The blow out losses really dinged the NET.
Yes that is obvious.

However, that call is bad on multiple levels.
Ref anticipating contact that never occurred.

Ref having no appreciation for the play in the context of the game. And wanting to put himself in the action.

You don't have to make the call immediately. Take a beat to process what you think you saw.

Ironic that the foul was against Creigton when it always is the team with the least fouls called against it

Last edited:
Reactions: halltheway
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT