ADVERTISEMENT

“Yeah, no, we, yeah, yeah, he doesn’t want to say,”

These teams played 19 times in the reg season. SF won 10. On a game midseason, Jansen struck out the kid Ruff on an obvious check swing strike to win the game. But they called it a ball. So tying run was walked in and LA lost when SF scored two more. If that was called right, LA had home field. And, if they called it right last night, now a kid who is 0-18 with 9 Ks in his career vs Schertzer is behind 1-2...I'll take Schertzer....Of course, it was a bad call.

Classic series the way baseball used to be. 3 out of 5 were classic pitchers duels. Great fielding all around. Old fashioned baseball, though the failed safety squeeze in the 8th might be used by stat guys to say why that is a bad play. I hated the call. Reminded me of Lasorda who loved squeeze plays.

The travesty is that this was not game 5 of the 7 game NLCS. And now a team that won 20 more games than the Braves goes to Atlanta and they have home field for the playoffs while the best team in baseball goes home. Seed the playoff teams by record.

Giants, not my favorite team by far...were great this year in every way. For LA, no Muncy, Turner and Turner giving me nothing, and we scratch out the win. Again...PHEW!!!

Great series, awful ending. I was rooting for LA but that was an awful call.

Trea Turner gave the Dodgers almost nothing in that series, Justin Turner isn't seeing the ball well, Muncy out and they still won in spite of some bad decisions by Dave Roberts in Game 5. Pretty talented team I'd say.

Reactions: jdavispirates
Dodgers are such a great team, top to bottom. Fun to watch.

And Bellinger certainly picked a good time to remember how to hit.

Reactions: jdavispirates
Great series, awful ending. I was rooting for LA but that was an awful call.

Trea Turner gave the Dodgers almost nothing in that series, Justin Turner isn't seeing the ball well, Muncy out and they still won in spite of some bad decisions by Dave Roberts in Game 5. Pretty talented team I'd say.
Yes, awful call. We agree on that squeeze call 09. Thats two agrees in a week. What the hell is going on...lol

Reactions: shu09
These teams played 19 times in the reg season. SF won 10. On a game midseason, Jansen struck out the kid Ruff on an obvious check swing strike to win the game. But they called it a ball. So tying run was walked in and LA lost when SF scored two more. If that was called right, LA had home field. And, if they called it right last night, now a kid who is 0-18 with 9 Ks in his career vs Schertzer is behind 1-2...I'll take Schertzer....Of course, it was a bad call.

Classic series the way baseball used to be. 3 out of 5 were classic pitchers duels. Great fielding all around. Old fashioned baseball, though the failed safety squeeze in the 8th might be used by stat guys to say why that is a bad play. I hated the call. Reminded me of Lasorda who loved squeeze plays.

The travesty is that this was not game 5 of the 7 game NLCS. And now a team that won 20 more games than the Braves goes to Atlanta and they have home field for the playoffs while the best team in baseball goes home. Seed the playoff teams by record.

Giants, not my favorite team by far...were great this year in every way. For LA, no Muncy, Turner and Turner giving me nothing, and we scratch out the win. Again...PHEW!!!

That’s okay… the 1986 Mets were due home field in the NLCS that year, but lost it because the Astros would have had a scheduling conflict at the Astrodome with the Oilers.

Reactions: Seton75
Yes, awful call. We agree on that squeeze call 09. Thats two agrees in a week. What the hell is going on...lol

Squeeze was an awful decision when all you need is a fly ball in that spot. 1st and 3rd, he should have had Bellinger steal on the first pitch (SF wasn't going to throw down) to take away the double play. Then a fly ball gets you 1 run and a base hit gets you 2. Easy decision yet he didn't do it. I couldn't believe it.

Also I would have stuck with Urias for the 7th inning. Roberts didn't want to double switch because he would have had to take Bellinger out (he was last to hit in the Dodgers 7th), which was the right call. But by removing Urias he limited Treinen to only one inning pitched (7th) because he had to pinch hit for him in the top of the 8th. If Urias gets through 7, you pitch Treinen in the 8th and maybe the 9th if the game was still tied. Then you save Kenley, Scherzer and Kelly for extra innings if necessary.

Squeeze was an awful decision when all you need is a fly ball in that spot. 1st and 3rd, he should have had Bellinger steal on the first pitch (SF wasn't going to throw down) to take away the double play. Then a fly ball gets you 1 run and a base hit gets you 2. Easy decision yet he didn't do it. I couldn't believe it.

Also I would have stuck with Urias for the 7th inning. Roberts didn't want to double switch because he would have had to take Bellinger out (he was last to hit in the Dodgers 7th), which was the right call. But by removing Urias he limited Treinen to only one inning pitched (7th) because he had to pinch hit for him in the top of the 8th. If Urias gets through 7, you pitch Treinen in the 8th and maybe the 9th if the game was still tied. Then you save Kenley, Scherzer and Kelly for extra innings if necessary.
I love the 1st and 3rd safety squeeze. According to Don Zimmer its’s the easiest RBI in the world. 1st baseman can’t charge early because he has to hold the runner on. 3rd baseman can’t charge early because the runner is just following him up the line and the SS is responsible for 2nd base so he doesn’t have to worry about a pick play at 3rd base. Love the call. Poorly executed.

I love the 1st and 3rd safety squeeze. According to Don Zimmer its’s the easiest RBI in the world. 1st baseman can’t charge early because he has to hold the runner on. 3rd baseman can’t charge early because the runner is just following him up the line and the SS is responsible for 2nd base so he doesn’t have to worry about a pick play at 3rd base. Love the call. Poorly executed.

Flores did not hold the runner like Zim figures he should. I dont like the call for the simple reason that guys never bunt anymore so they are way less likely to put down a good bunt. If LA got another run, I wonder if they let the pitcher hit and go another inning?

Roberts it too by the book with his pitcher moves imo. He's like KW taking out the hot hand. I remember a month or so ago Gotteral blowing away the other team for an inning on like 7 pitches, all 100 or better. But he didnt get another inning. I would have given Urias another inning on a short fuse last night.

AJ Pollack was LAs best hitter in August, just killing the ball. Then he got hurt. They had to give Lux some time at in the OF even tho he is an IF. Lux was given a starting shot the past two years and couldnt hit a lick. Pollack gets hurt, they give Lux time on the OF and he remembers how to hit. J Turner hits every playoff series. Till the Giants seriens. TTurner leads tehj majors in batting and can get a hit. Funny game.

Horrendous call! 👎🦨

Listening to Mad Dog live now and had to pick up my tablet to post. He’s apoplectic as you could expect as a Giants fan. He just saId, “you know what that call is folks? …that’s Clougherty in the Seton Hall game putting Rumeal Robinson on the line! That cost Seton Hall a championship! Go ask PJ about that call! He made an absolutely horrendous call,away from the ball, I don’t know what he was seeing? Getting in the way, stay out of the way. You can not defend the call under any circumstances!”

Thanks Doggie! Nice to see Mad Dog remembers the felony that was inflicted on us. After all these years still makes me sick thinking about it.🤢💔😪

Flores did not hold the runner like Zim figures he should. I dont like the call for the simple reason that guys never bunt anymore so they are way less likely to put down a good bunt. If LA got another run, I wonder if they let the pitcher hit and go another inning?

Roberts it too by the book with his pitcher moves imo. He's like KW taking out the hot hand. I remember a month or so ago Gotteral blowing away the other team for an inning on like 7 pitches, all 100 or better. But he didnt get another inning. I would have given Urias another inning on a short fuse last night.

AJ Pollack was LAs best hitter in August, just killing the ball. Then he got hurt. They had to give Lux some time at in the OF even tho he is an IF. Lux was given a starting shot the past two years and couldnt hit a lick. Pollack gets hurt, they give Lux time on the OF and he remembers how to hit. J Turner hits every playoff series. Till the Giants seriens. TTurner leads tehj majors in batting and can get a hit. Funny game.
Well the obvious answer to not holding the runner on is since Bellinger has no one holding him on he should have a 35 foot lead and be walking to second laughing for the easiest stolen base ever and I believe it was Taylor should just pull the bat back and take the pitch. You have 2nd and 3rd. Still love the call. You have to execute.

Horrendous call! 👎🦨

Listening to Mad Dog live now and had to pick up my tablet to post. He’s apoplectic as you could expect as a Giants fan. He just saId, “you know what that call is folks? …that’s Clougherty in the Seton Hall game putting Rumeal Robinson on the line! That cost Seton Hall a championship! Go ask PJ about that call! He made an absolutely horrendous call,away from the ball, I don’t know what he was seeing? Getting in the way, stay out of the way. You can not defend the call under any circumstances!”

Thanks Doggie! Nice to see Mad Dog remembers the felony that was inflicted on us. After all these years still makes me sick thinking about it.🤢💔😪

Of curse Dog remembers that. Imus welched on a bet with Mike, did he bet Mike a cadillac or a mercedes that SHU doesnt get the FF?? Gotta give the fat man credit for seeing how great our team was.

Well the obvious answer to not holding the runner on is since Bellinger has no one holding him on he should have a 35 foot lead and be walking to second laughing for the easiest stolen base ever and I believe it was Taylor should just pull the bat back and take the pitch. You have 2nd and 3rd. Still love the call. You have to execute.
Yes, bad execution all around, the bunt, the base steal and the first baseman...It it were Jr Gilliam he scores. A player from today, not likely imo.

Yes, bad execution all around, the bunt, the base steal and the first baseman...It it were Jr Gilliam he scores. A player from today, not likely imo.
Last year....The play works. Baseball players are not as bad all around as we think. Most can play, but they don't get paid for sacrifice bunts so they avoid doing it on their own. It has to come from the manager. The manager has to be responsible for making sure guys work on these things throughout the year. Roberts is one of the few managers I believe does because he does use this play more frequently than most.

Smoltz even says you can't stop that. His explanation and raving of the play for the next few minutes is exceptional.

Roberts loves this play as he should. It's pure baseball. I wish more teams did it.

Last edited:
I watched a helluva lit of didger games this season. I am sure I might be forgetting a couple or even many... but i cannot remember a non pitcher sacrificing all yr. I looked for the stat on sac bunts and didnt find for this yr. Eddie collins had a bunch a century ago i think. I bet Taylor had a few sac flies

I watched a helluva lit of didger games this season. I am sure I might be forgetting a couple or even many... but i cannot remember a non pitcher sacrificing all yr. I looked for the stat on sac bunts and didnt find for this yr. Eddie collins had a bunch a century ago i think. I bet Taylor had a few sac flies
I just think based on everything said by Smoltz, it's really hard to say it was a bad decision by Roberts. It pretty much confirms it was the perfect call, you just have to get the bunt down.

As I said Roberts loves this play (obviously so do I LOL). Here it is with Chris Taylor executing properly only 3 weeks ago.

I just think based on everything said by Smoltz, it's really hard to say it was a bad decision by Roberts. It pretty much confirms it was the perfect call, you just have to get the bunt down.

As I said Roberts loves this play (obviously so do I LOL). Here it is with Chris Taylor executing properly only 3 weeks ago.

Guess that game wasn't televised lol.

Red Sox got the series-winning run into scoring position that way against Tampa the other night. It was shocking.

The sacrifice bunt is a lost art in the current game. The school of thought is that you don't want to give up the out even if it moves the runner along. That's pretty much why you only see in a spot where one run will win you a game.

Obviously it's a better play than having you're lineup strike out a dozen times a game but that's station to station baseball in the 21st century.

The sacrifice bunt is a lost art in the current game. The school of thought is that you don't want to give up the out even if it moves the runner along. That's pretty much why you only see in a spot where one run will win you a game.

Obviously it's a better play than having you're lineup strike out a dozen times a game but that's station to station baseball in the 21st century.
Not that my opinion matters, but devaluing productive outs has reallyh hurt the game. A simple ground ball to the right side with a runner on 2nd nobody out isn't celebrated much at all. I'd love to know how many leadoff doubles didn't score this year. I know @Seton75 will disagree with me, but it was great to see a devalued aspect of the game like baserunning be the difference last night.

Not that my opinion matters, but devaluing productive outs has reallyh hurt the game. A simple ground ball to the right side with a runner on 2nd nobody out isn't celebrated much at all. I'd love to know how many leadoff doubles didn't score this year. I know @Seton75 will disagree with me, but it was great to see a devalued aspect of the game like baserunning be the difference last night.
I dont disagree with you on all smallball. Thats how i grew up. But i would not bunt a hitter like chris t. Decent chance he huts a sac fly too. And last night baserunning ugh. And ct is a goodbaserunner. I am not in love with the dodgers 3rd base coach. With the throw to 2nd would he have been safe at third? I walked away from the tv and didnt see any replay. Another good game. LAs bullpen couldnt be perfect forever. Wonder why he flopped treinen and jansen. Need someone named Taylor to start hitting. Bottom of ninth loss always brutal but given the circumstances a great showing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT