Jan 7, 2006
Known
Wooden legacy 11/22 11/23 11/25

Ville 12/1

UK 12/8

Will guess rutgers falls weekend of 12/15

Vcu away weekend of 11/17?

Possible gavitt game week of 11/12/

Not sure how I feel about this schedule. It’s an extremely challenging OOC and I’m not convinced that’s the best move in a rebuilding year.

I'm pretty sure the vcu game was a 1 off game and we don't play them this year.

We should be in the gavitt games, probably a road game.

I don't think this schedule is too tough. The wooden classic is very weak, maybe one other tournament team in Miami.

Louisville and Kentucky are great opportunities. No such thing as too many losses if you have good wins, see Bama and oklahoma, vandy the year before.

Figure St Peters FDU likely Wagner that is now 14 home games. With one at Walsh maybe there are 2 more TBD? I guess 17 is possible.

30 game schedule next year (technically they could play LaSalle or someone else from the Wooden bracket here as a fourth game for 31, but that seems doubtful).

Agree. And KY aside it may not be that challenging?

It's not like we're rebuilding from scratch. We still have a competitive team that can challenge for a NCAA bid. I love this schedule.

What makes you say that? It’s not like SHU is above the teams they’ll get in California, or be paired with in the Gavitt Games. Even Rutgers is a challenge because of the rivalry aspect. I’d also say Louisville is certainly a challenge.

It's a challenging schedule and appropriate for a team that should contend for a NCAA bid. We should be scheduling like this 3 out of every 5 years.

And by 3 out of 5 I mean the exceptions would be a year when we have a really good team that can contend at the top of the conference (scheduling even harder than this year) and a year when we have a team expected to be towards the bottom of the conference (scheduling softer).

and a year when we have a team expected to be towards the bottom of the conference (scheduling softer).
That’s kinda my original point. I do expect us to finish towards the bottom of the conference (7th). Which is why I’m not pumped about playing such a tough OOC.

I am hearing we will not be playing St. Peters next year which is a shame. Really would love to play them.

I would be incredibly disappointed with the Hall finishing 7th. The Big East is losing a ton of talent. You have to look at the entire conferences losses and not just SHU's.

We could start four ESPN 4 star players albeit that's a young lineup.

Anthony Nelson
Scout Grade 81 4 Star

Taurean Thompson
Scout Grade 82 4 Star

Myles Powell
Scout Grade 82 4 Star

Myles Cale
Scout Grade 84 4 Star

That’s kinda my original point. I do expect us to finish towards the bottom of the conference (7th). Which is why I’m not pumped about playing such a tough OOC.

I'd be shocked and incredibly disappointed if we finish 7th or lower next season.

I would be incredibly disappointed with the Hall finishing 7th. The Big East is losing a ton of talent. You have to look at the entire conferences losses and not just SHU's.

We could start four ESPN 4 star players albeit that's a young lineup.

Anthony Nelson
Scout Grade 81 4 Star

Taurean Thompson
Scout Grade 82 4 Star

Myles Powell
Scout Grade 82 4 Star

Myles Cale
Scout Grade 84 4 Star
So you're saying we've done a pretty good job recruiting other than that 1 class. LOL

Some educated guessing on my part but the schedule might look something like this.

1. H: Local Cupcake (Q4 Home RPI 161-351)
  2. H: Local Cupcake (Q4)
  3. R: Gavitt Game (probably on the Road Q1 RPI 1-75 or Q2 RPI 76-135)
  4. H: Local Cupcake (Q4)
  5. N: Wooden Classic (Q3 RPI 101-200 or Q4 201-351)
  6. N: Wooden Classic (Q2 RPI 51-100 or Q3)
  7. N: Wooden Classic (Q1 1-50 or Q2 or Q3)
  8. H: Louisville (Q2 31-75)
  9. N: Kentucky (Q1 1-50)
  10. H: Local Cupcake (Q4)
  11. H: Rutgers (Q4)
  12. H: Local Cupcake (Q4)

If the Gavitt Game is on the road against a tournament bound team then this schedule is probably just about right. If it's against a lower tier big ten team then I think we need to have one of the cupcake games listed above being a Q1 or Q2 type game. In that case another neutral event such as the UA MSG game would be a good option or maybe even set up another home and home with a tough team, which would alternate with Rutgers home and home, so on the road this year.

So you're saying we've done a pretty good job recruiting other than that 1 class. LOL

There will be different views on whether having four four star players over a four class period constitutes good recruiting or not . Some will argue that to be a top tier Conference team four is the minimum while some will argue that you need more then four with six the absolute minimum and eight the ideal number.

There will be different views on whether having four four star players over a four class period constitutes good recruiting or not . Some will argue that to be a top tier Conference team four is the minimum while some will argue that you need more then four with six the absolute minimum and eight the ideal number.
6 4-star recruits? That would basically mean all power conference schools start nothing but 4 star players. That is not the case at all.

I say this most years, I want top 6 and to be playing on Friday night in the BET, if that happens the NCAA will work itself out...

Reactions: TommyAlly
Very very challenging schedule. I hope we are up for it.

I think this is going to be a bigger rebuilding year than most so I would have preferred a schedule a bit more conducive to that.

Reactions: shupat08
Confirmed:

St. Peters at home
Wagner at home
11/14 - at Nebraska
11/22-11/25 - Wooden Legacy (Utah, Northwestern, Miami, Fresno State, Grand Canyon, La Salle, Hawaii)
12/8 - Kentucky at MSG
12/15 - RU at home
Louisville at home
St. Louis at home

That's 10 games. Based on recent trends, figure the final 3 slots will go to NJIT, FDU & one other cupcake. Would love it to be Monmouth (doubtful since we're poaching Duane Woodward) or better yet...Princeton. Would be even better if the final game was another UA Reunion game at MSG, but I doubt there's room in the schedule for that, plus we were in it the last two years.

I believe you guys will only have 2 more games. You can play 13 OOC games if you have 18 league games and if you are in an exempt tournament where you get to play 4 games. I think you guys only get 3 games in the Wooden Legacy so you might only get 12 OOC games. I could be wrong but I think I am correct.

bump

St. Peters at home
Wagner at home
11/14 - at Nebraska
11/22-11/25 - Wooden Legacy (Utah, Northwestern, Miami, Fresno State, Grand Canyon, La Salle, Hawaii)
12/8 - Kentucky at MSG
12/15 - RU at home
12/22 - at Maryland
Louisville at home
St. Louis at home

1 or 2 games left to schedule. No way they're not both major cupcake games, and one has to be NJIT imo.

If things don't break well for us, we could be looking at about a .500 OOC record...

wow great job. could possibly have our bubble burst next year but if we are going to lose more games, might as well have it against those teams. and maybe we steal a few. that could help tremendously. Bout time!

With an OOC schedule like this, it might tell a few things that Willard is thinking.

1) We may be better than most of us predict
2) The Big East may end up being very weak and so we may need the OOC strength to propel us to any NCAA dreams.
3) We will be dynamite '19/'20

With an OOC schedule like this, it might tell a few things that Willard is thinking.

1) We may be better than most of us predict
2) The Big East may end up being very weak and so we may need the OOC strength to propel us to any NCAA dreams.
3) We will be dynamite '19/'20

I think all 3 of the things you listed are factors in how the schedule is developing.

VERY aggressive, tough OOC schedule. Could really help or could really hurt.

I see 5 losses in here.

This schedule differs from past ones in that it looks like it’s partially designed to raise the recruiting profile going forward beyond this season. It’s really designed almost as much for 2020 and 2021 as it is for 2019.

Side note: Typing in those years makes me feel really old.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT