ADVERTISEMENT

30 for 30 Shorts: The Billion Dollar Game

hbkmyr

All World
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2009
I thought this was fantastic. Never realized there was such a push by the power conferences to get rid of the automatic bid in 1989. A great video if you have 13 minutes.

In 1989, the NCAA men's basketball tournament was at a crossroads. Schools from larger conferences like the SEC and Big East didn't see the need to keep allowing the mid-major teams into the Big Dance. They always lost, so what was the point? When Alonzo Mourning's no. 1 seed Georgetown Hoyas entered the tournament, they had their eyes set on the Final Four and a national title. Dealing with the likes of Ivy League champion and no. 16 seed Princeton was more of an afterthought. So when these two teams faced off on March 17, 1989, in Providence, Rhode Island, no one, not even Princeton, expected much of a game. They were all wrong. Pete Carril's Tigers not only played one of the greatest games in college basketball history, they also let the NCAA and the rest of the world know that the mid-majors could play and were here to stay. Without that game, the tournament would not be what it is today - a billion-dollar enterprise that stops America for two weeks each year.

http://grantland.com/features/30-for-30-shorts-the-billion-dollar-game/

I had the chance to actually work at the NCAA tournament that weekend in Providence.

I happened to be walking a back hallway just as Princeton was coming out of their locker room for the second half. Seeing the looks on their faces, knowing they had a 29-21 lead, and were about to run back onto the floor with the crowd about to erupt, is among my all-time best sports memories.

I saw the end of that game on a fuzzy 15" TV in the news room in Trenton. It was amazing. Princeton was one Bob Scrabis (RBC) jump shot away from the upset on a very makeable side jumper that just didn't fall. Quite a season for Jersey, besides the Pirates '89 run and Princeton's near upset, Trenton State made it to the Div III finals under Kevin Bannon with locals Greg Grant and Gerald Posey, via Marquette. A memorable year. I bet Scrabis hits that 16' jumper six out of 10 times.

Rutgers also made the NCAA's that year as the A-10 tournament champion and lost to Iowa earlier that day in Providence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT