ADVERTISEMENT

ACC votes to invite Stanford, Cal, SMU

see-nobody-cares.gif

Have you taken notice of the massive support the matching NIL drive has gotten at SHU? And if you’re not worried about a squeeze play put on available Big East basketball time slots by the football schools you’re not paying attention. Of course we could always run to ESPN for help in a pinch.
We need to learn how to get out of our own way on NIL and end the good ol boys network. Hopefully Mike McBride can bring us some SEC magic and force the current administration to wake up.

Did Rutgers? What about 1 and 11 Colorado? Did Stanford and Cal become football powerhouses?

I do think we help our "perception" as we return to the football success we found in our first 10 years in DI. It keeps us in the running theoretically, but practically speaking future openings for us look unlikely.
UCONN football stinks. Nobody wants it. They are in a small market in a region of the US that could care less about college football.

I understand UCONN’s football dreams but really with all the movement recently and they’re still left out, that’s saying something. And as noted there are now fewer seats at the P4 table.

Their next hope is that the ACC implodes, the top four schools leave and the leftovers bring in UCONN. And by then the ACC will be a shell and will command less $$$ than they are getting now.

The SEC and B10 will command the big dollar media deals when the dust settles. The contracts the ACC, B12 and others end up with will be a fraction of that. Maintaining a football program for those schools will be that much harder financially. ACC and B12 will end up closer to the Mountain West/P10, AAC, etc.

UCONN football stinks. Nobody wants it. They are in a small market in a region of the US that could care less about college football.
The Hartford New Haven DMA is the 32nd largest in the nation that doesn't include an additional 1 million people in Fairfield County which is a part of the NYCDMA.

Connecticut went to a bowl last year and lost by 10 points to NC State which is roughly a top 35 school.

(Question: if a region "could care less" about college football, does that mean they care a lot?)

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I understand UCONN’s football dreams but really with all the movement recently and they’re still left out, that’s saying something. And as noted there are now fewer seats at the P4 table.

Their next hope is that the ACC implodes, the top four schools leave and the leftovers bring in UCONN. And by then the ACC will be a shell and will command less $$$ than they are getting now.
I feel like I say this a lot to you, but you're not wrong. The thing is even the ACC dregs will likely make dramatically more than the big east. For whatever reason, college basketball excellence, which Connecticut inarguably provides, isn't valued.

It is what it is.

I feel like I say this a lot to you, but you're not wrong. The thing is even the ACC dregs will likely make dramatically more than the big east. For whatever reason, college basketball excellence, which Connecticut inarguably provides, isn't valued.

It is what it is.
The value that football provides over basketball is eyeballs.

Five games involving BE teams exceeded one million viewers last season (prior to the NCAAT) and only one of those passed 1.15 million.

ND-Navy was the highest rated football game of week zero with more than 3.5 million viewers, while the FCS game featuring Jackson State and South Carolina State came in at 922,000, a number only eight BE games exceeded a year ago.

It helps that both of those games were on traditional network television but then so were nine of the top 12 BE games last year (with ESPN broadcasts filling the other three spots).

Reactions: SOpirate and Harty9
Don’t want to turn this into a UConn football thread so I’ll just say this: They’re slowly becoming respectable again, but I don’t think their ceiling is any higher than being a consistent 7-5/8-4 team. Still would take them over Rutgers if I was a P4 AD though lol.

The value that football provides over basketball is eyeballs.

Five games involving BE teams exceeded one million viewers last season (prior to the NCAAT) and only one of those passed 1.15 million.

ND-Navy was the highest rated football game of week zero with more than 3.5 million viewers, while the FCS game featuring Jackson State and South Carolina State came in at 922,000, a number only eight BE games exceeded a year ago.

It helps that both of those games were on traditional network television but then so were nine of the top 12 BE games last year (with ESPN broadcasts filling the other three spots).
That's the argument. Although I often think about the fact that even though individual basketball games rarely draw as much as football games, there are a lot more of them over the course of a season.

Don’t want to turn this into a UConn football thread so I’ll just say this: They’re slowly becoming respectable again, but I don’t think their ceiling is any higher than being a consistent 7-5/8-4 team. Still would take them over Rutgers if I was a P4 AD though lol.
Let me tell you, after the last 10 years, a consistent 7-5/8-4 team sounds pretty darn good!

Let me tell you, after the last 10 years, a consistent 7-5/8-4 team sounds pretty darn good!
Yeah that would make UConn the best football program this side of the Potomac.

Was able to catch some of the game Thursday and was surprised how electric the atmosphere was. Definitely room for a competent college football program to grow.

Reactions: CL82

Was able to catch some of the game Thursday and was surprised how electric the atmosphere was. Definitely room for a competent college football program to grow.
It was the season opener. We are on the road this weekend versus Georgia State. So we will see if he can be sustained two weeks from now.

If the wins are against Umass, James Madison, Sacred Heart, Rice, Utah State and FIU not really.

That's the argument. Although I often think about the fact that even though individual basketball games rarely draw as much as football games, there are a lot more of them over the course of a season.
That may be true but the fact that college football inventory is now spread over five nights a week from the last weekend in August into December gives the networks plenty of bites at the apple.

The simple fact that most college football games generate higher ratings than college basketball games ensures that ad time on those broadcasts costs exponentially more. It stands to reason that if I can charge $1 an ad if I get five viewers, than I can charge $5 an ad if I get 25.

Using that example, if I don't have five times the college basketball inventory (and I likely don't), I can't generate the ad and sponsorship revenue I do on college football.

Mora has done a nice job making UConn look respectable. Can UConn compete for recruits against some of the Northeast Power 5 programs like Cuse, BC, RU, Maryland?

Well theyre technically playing in Power 5 conference. Likely on the bubble whenever the super conference for CFB happens.

That may be true but the fact that college football inventory is now spread over five nights a week from the last weekend in August into December gives the networks plenty of bites at the apple.

The simple fact that most college football games generate higher ratings than college basketball games ensures that ad time on those broadcasts costs exponentially more. It stands to reason that if I can charge $1 an ad if I get five viewers, than I can charge $5 an ad if I get 25.

Using that example, if I don't have five times the college basketball inventory (and I likely don't), I can't generate the ad and sponsorship revenue I do on college football.
Yeah, I get all that, still, with the volume of games, and the overall number of impressions, you think that basketball would be worth more than $.20 on the dollar of football.

SMU bringing the Dallas TV market > UConn bringing the remnants of the north east.

I agree that SMU is a bit of a desperate move for the ACC, but SMU has the funds + facilities + market location to
have a chance at competing in the ACC

SMU bringing the Dallas TV market > UConn bringing the remnants of the north east.

I agree that SMU is a bit of a desperate move for the ACC, but SMU has the funds + facilities + market location to
The Dallas-Fort Worth DMA is about triple the size of the Hartford New Haven DMA. A couple of things though the most populous part of Connecticut isn't in the Hartford New Haven DMA it's in Fairfield county which is a part of the NYCDMA. When you include that Connecticut would be roughly half the size of Dallas-Fort Worth.

But here's the thing does anyone seriously think SMU "brings" the Dallas Fort Worth DMA? They are way, way, down the food chain in Texas.

The ACC did not expand because Stanford, Cal and SMU offer competitive upgrades in the sports that matter (they don’t) or because they add equal revenue value to the existing television contract (they don’t) or because they make geographical and logistical sense for a conference that exists exclusively in the Eastern time zone (they don’t).

The ACC expanded because there was a pool of television money ESPN was contractually required to give it because of conference expansion, and most of that money will be hoarded by the existing members while the newbies subsidize their athletic departments in other ways. In SMU’s case, the desperation to get into a power conference was so strong, it reportedly agreed to forego a media-rights distribution for its first nine years as a member of the ACC.

In other words, SMU is going to literally pay to play in its new league despite being competitively irrelevant in its old one. There will be three presidential elections by the time SMU gets a dollar from television.

Last edited:

They wrote the book on paying for football players. They just forgot to write a chapter on not getting caught.

Reactions: Gohall129
Yeah, I get all that, still, with the volume of games, and the overall number of impressions, you think that basketball would be worth more than $.20 on the dollar of football.
The overall number of impressions matters less than the concentration of impressions.

There's a reason you see weekly Saturday night prime-time college football games on network TV but there isn't a corresponding number of college basketball games in those time slots.

Beginning of the end for the ACC. The conference won't exist by the end of the decade. Look for FSU and Clemson to bolt soon.
What will networks or streaming pay for second tier conferences that have regional matchups that will not have nearly the draw. Duke vs. Cal; Wake Forest vs. SMU?

All of the FB money is going to the SEC and B10.

Reactions: garyshu71
The overall number of impressions matters less than the concentration of impressions.

There's a reason you see weekly Saturday night prime-time college football games on network TV but there isn't a corresponding number of college basketball games in those time slots.

Apparently, I'm just not sure why.
If I'm an ad buyer I'd rather get to one million people in one shot rather than need four or five tries to get to a total of one million people.

In the first case, I know that I'm reaching one million people. In the second case, I might only reach 500,000 or 600,000 unique viewers due to duplication.

Even if I'm spending the same amount of money in the two scenarios, my ROI is likely better since I'm getting to more people at once.

Reactions: CL82
The Hartford New Haven DMA is the 32nd largest in the nation that doesn't include an additional 1 million people in Fairfield County which is a part of the NYCDMA.

Connecticut went to a bowl last year and lost by 10 points to NC State which is roughly a top 35 school.

(Question: if a region "could care less" about college football, does that mean they care a lot?)
Please, stop with the nonsense about the 32nd largest market. As a former resident of Conn, the state loves its basketball, but couldn't care less about the football program. Been like that for 40+ years. Yale, BC, UMass & Holy Cross have had overall better programs And attendance then UC over that period and even the once “mighty” BC program is but a mere shell of its old self. UC would have a hard time being competitive in the Ivy League in Football.

If I'm an ad buyer I'd rather get to one million people in one shot rather than need four or five tries to get to a total of one million people.

In the first case, I know that I'm reaching one million people. In the second case, I might only reach 500,000 or 600,000 unique viewers due to duplication.

Even if I'm spending the same amount of money in the two scenarios, my ROI is likely better since I'm getting to more people at once.
Got it. That makes sense to me. On the other hand it's a canon of marketing that it takes many impressions for something to be retained. So arguably less unique impressions is not as effective as many multiple impressions.

I'm not disagreeing with you, however, because, obviously, the market has spoken on this issue.

Please, stop with the nonsense about the 32nd largest market. As a former resident of Conn, the state loves its basketball, but couldn't care less about the football program. Been like that for 40+ years. Yale, BC, UMass & Holy Cross have had overall better programs And attendance then UC over that period and even the once “mighty” BC program is but a mere shell of its old self. UC would have a hard time being competitive in the Ivy League in Football.
Uh the Hartford/New Haven DMA is, in fact, the 34th (I just checked and it dropped 2 places) largest in the country. And that doesn't include a little over 1 million people who live in Fairfield County which is part of the NYCDMA. Those are facts. If that's somehow upsetting to you, I don't know that I can help you with that.

As to whether or not Connecticut "doesn't care about football", 37,000 people cared enough to show up and watch a Connecticut play on a Thursday night last week. Again, that's a fact and if it doesn't jibe with your recollection of living in Connecticut, all I can do is shrug. Facts are facts.

For what it's worth, if you lived in Connecticut between 2003 and 2012, Rentschler field routinely had more in attendance than the 37,000 people who showed up last Thursday. In fact, Renschler has had had 31 sellouts at 40,000 and one at 42,750 for a game against Michigan in which extra stands were added. Now, in the last 10 years it's trailed off, but being terrible at football will do that. Last Thursday's game was an indication that there is a sizable portion of the population that starved for a competent football team. Hopefully we can deliver that.

Last edited:
The worst part of bringing UCONN into TBEC are the their posters who continue to insist on thinking it's ok to kidnap threads on Pirate Crew.com. over and over and over.
Lol, Gary, point out a time that I've brought up UConn first on this board. When one of you guys makes some absurd comment about Connecticut, I correct it, but it's not like I fire off the first volley. And, for that matter, I try to be polite about it. But, here's the thing, if you don't want talk about Connecticut, don't bring us up.

To be honest, though, it's just a couple of posters here who really seem obsessed with UConn. Maybe you should talk to them about it?

Uh the Hartford/New Haven DMA is, in fact, the 34th (I just checked and it dropped 2 places) largest in the country. And that doesn't include a little over 1 million people who live in Fairfield County which is part of the NYCDMA. Those are facts. If that's somehow upsetting to you, I don't know that I can help you with that.

As to whether or not Connecticut "doesn't care about football", 37,000 people cared enough to show up and watch a Connecticut play on a Thursday night last week. Again, that's a fact and if it doesn't jibe with your recollection of living in Connecticut, all I can do is shrug. Facts are facts.

For what it's worth, if you lived in Connecticut between 2003 and 2012, Rentschler field routinely had more in attendance than the 37,000 people who showed up last Thursday. In fact, Renschler has had had 31 sellouts at 40,000 and one at 42,750 for a game against Michigan in which extra stands were added. Now, in the last 10 years it's trailed off, but being terrible at football will do that. Last Thursday's game was an indication that there is a sizable portion of the population that starved for a competent football team. Hopefully we can deliver that.
32nd, 34th Yahoo! 37,000 fans at a game. The Ivy Leagu gets that attendance in smaller markets. KU gets more fans in Lawrence than UC and virtually no one on the Missouri side of the border could care less about KU football or b-ball for that matter. ((Lived there too). 37K fans average doesn’t cut it in a Power 5/4 conference. PS, my former law partner’s father in law donated the $$ to build the ConDome for b-ball. So I’m quite familiar with the overall historical lack of interest in UC football and the success of b-ball & it’s fans following it to away games & sell outs at home during that same period. Enough!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT