ADVERTISEMENT

At what point do we just have the NCAA schools become a professional league

Bluebeard

All World
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Thinking about all this craziness, in 10 years do we get to a period where the schools have a paid team that don’t have 4 year eligibility limits. Why even pretend to be student athletes? Many players are paid more that the NBA’s minor league players, who play in front of no fans. Let them stay and play and get paid. I’m not saying I want this,I still can’t believe how fast the train came off the rails.

Thinking about all this craziness, in 10 years do we get to a period where the schools have a paid team that don’t have 4 year eligibility limits. Why even pretend to be student athletes? Many players are paid more that the NBA’s minor league players, who play in front of no fans. Let them stay and play and get paid. I’m not saying I want this,I still can’t believe how fast the train came off the rails.
Getting a free education is still a great part of the deal. Let's hope they don't destroy even that

Been saying this. No NCAA involvement or NCAA tourney. Just have the conferences make their own tourney. Why even make the kids go to class... no need for scholarships.

Getting a free education is still a great part of the deal. Let's hope they don't destroy even that
how can all their credits transfer over 2-4 schools? no way theyre picking transferrable schools. its a crock.

after 2 years everyone will realize its just teams rotating 100% of their players and schools will stop wanting transfers

Reactions: shupat08
The megaconference breakaway from the NCAA has been in the works for quite some time and will happen within the next 5 years i assume.

People are still denying this. NCAA tournament is proof. MWC will also become the new Pac-14

Reactions: TheBluePirate
As I see it, they are and will be student athletes with a 4 year career in college. They will get paid as they should have been paid before, but in the most half assed way imaginable.

The transfer penalty was always wrong. It only applied to the money sports. But no transfer restrictions paired with open bidding every year is disastrous.

I don't know what the solution is and am too old to really give a damn.

The success the Big East has allowed SHU to achieve is something I never dreamed of when in college. It was too far away and just not realistic.

Thank you Richie.

Reactions: radecicco
Just let the schools sponsor the team. Players don’t have to be students. A true minor league. Like the teams sponsored by companies years ago. This is where this mess is headed.

To the student athletes who pushed this, like Geo Baker, they have unleashed the forces that will destroy the major college sports. Not blaming them. They had no idea what forces would be unleashed.

Its a crap show for sure and I don't know what the answer is. The education is not valued anymore in the $ sports, by most athletes that attend big schools which is a real shame as most of them will not make the pros. The players will certainly get compensated but did they end up losing in the end?

The few stars who make the pros will be better off. School pride and the fun nature of the sports are waning and it's becoming harder and harder to be a fan of another professional league.

How about the NBA and NFL create real minor league systems like baseball where each team has 5 levels. Let the players get their real professional worth, which for most of them they'll find out is NOTHING.

In this current landscape it’s inevitable. However before we get to this point I think the rules will be changed.

However, if they don’t. The only way to maintain NIL is by giving donors an ownership percentage in the program. And eventually that ownership percentage will overtake the university and therefore it will be the South Orange Pirates with a sponsorship by Seton Hall University and that’s how it will remain “college athletics”

How about the NBA and NFL create real minor league systems like baseball where each team has 5 levels. Let the players get their real professional worth, which for most of them they'll find out is NOTHING.
They don’t have to, the NCAA and NIL are paying for their minor leagues.

Reactions: HALL85
To the student athletes who pushed this, like Geo Baker, they have unleashed the forces that will destroy the major college sports. Not blaming them. They had no idea what forces would be unleashed.

Disagree. People like Baker and Jay Bilas certainly knew what they were doing. They killed the sport by design.

Disagree. People like Baker and Jay Bilas certainly knew what they were doing. They killed the sport by design.
Still a long way to go before the sports are killed. You need the athletes to screw the donors. Just like what’s going on where Robert Kraft says he’s not donating to Columbia anymore, the day will come where donors will say I’m done with this. That day is not here yet.

As I see it, they are and will be student athletes with a 4 year career in college. They will get paid as they should have been paid before, but in the most half assed way imaginable.

The transfer penalty was always wrong. It only applied to the money sports. But no transfer restrictions paired with open bidding every year is disastrous.

I don't know what the solution is and am too old to really give a damn.

The success the Big East has allowed SHU to achieve is something I never dreamed of when in college. It was too far away and just not realistic.

Thank you Richie.
The Big East was a game changer for SHU, but that was then and this is now. We are experiencing disruptive change and I don’t see a path to put the genie back in the bottle. It wreaks of desperation now. We essentially have colleges and alumni funding professional teams.

Attorneys representing athletes, football 5 conferences and the NCAA are in settlement talks as we speak before the next batch of cases are either decided or go to trial. There are two sets of plaintiffs, those suing for past missed NIL opportunities and the second addressing what the future of college sports will look like.

A negotiated settlement will be reached in the next few months. Then the schools with the NCAA as their representative will try again to have congress set some guidelines around compensation for college athletes.

One idea being floated is a $20 million cap per school to be paid from school funds. Schools couldn’t spend more than $20 million but they could spend less. It’s unclear if this would be in lieu of outside NIL funds or in addition to outside NIL funds.

This doesn’t sound like that much when considering the big football schools, but it does indicate that some kind of cap is under active consideration.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT