ADVERTISEMENT

August tweets

Good luck to Alexis Yetna at Fairfield, his apparent next destination.

Last edited:
Reactions: haydenma
Yeah I read the RU board, the rumor is Washington bait & switched him on the NIL amount.
I read about situations like this occasionally. Seems so common for something so immoral.

So coaches will promise $x, sign the player, then fail to deliver the $ ? How is that even legal? How bad is this for the reputation of program/coach? Can/do players write their promised NIL amount into a legal contract?

Reactions: chiswell
I read about situations like this occasionally. Seems so common for something so immoral.

So coaches will promise $x, sign the player, then fail to deliver the $ ? How is that even legal? How bad is this for the reputation of program/coach? Can/do players write their promised NIL amount into a legal contract?
I could be wrong but I am under the impression that coaches don’t negotiate NIL. Furthermore if you ask a coach about a player’s NIL apparently they are clueless 😑

I could be wrong but I am under the impression that coaches don’t negotiate NIL.
Hmmm. Interesting.

Assuming this is true, I wonder if coaches dislike the “promise $x, give $y” thing, and if the program gets any bad reputation from that (Florida?)

Coaches have been doing this with scholarships for years and years and years why would this be different

Reactions: dehere23
Its so interesting how close a 4 star recruit is to a no star recruit. Not a knock on Myles at all but Shavar came in with no fan fair and is arguably just as good as a Myles who was once a 4 star kid.
Which Myles are you referencing?

I believe this becomes a topic as they are playing at a similar pro level in Europe.

Cale obviously has more natural talent. Shavar’s mentality and work ethic rises his stock.

Cale was always limited by not having an alpha mentality. Great kid, great student, great family. A great part of the pirate program. If he had Shavars dog mentality. Cale could’ve been in the NBA

Reactions: thehall07
I believe this becomes a topic as they are playing at a similar pro level in Europe.

Cale obviously has more natural talent. Shavar’s mentality and work ethic rises his stock.

Cale was always limited by not having an alpha mentality. Great kid, great student, great family. A great part of the pirate program. If he had Shavars dog mentality. Cale could’ve been in the NBA
Good to read they're both playing in Europe.

I'm no basketball expert, but I don't think Shavar is at Myles' level.
Athletically that would agree but I would ague that Shavar is at very similar skill level at this point in their career. One may even argue that Shavar currently gets the nod, he just won MVP Of the tournament.

Athletically that would agree but I would ague that Shavar is at very similar skill level at this point in their career. One may even argue that Shavar currently gets the nod, he just won MVP Of the tournament.
While you could be right and I'm not familiar with the JBSL, I get the impression that performing well in that tournament is not a particularly helpful barometer for assessing one's ability to perform at a professional level.

While you could be right and I'm not familiar with the JBSL, I get the impression that performing well in that tournament is not a particularly helpful barometer for assessing one's ability to perform at a professional level.

Look at their last year of playing together at Seton Hall and you tell me who is the better player. The stat lines are nearly identical.

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Reactions: Hallhoops
Loved Shavar. But I think at the high-major level his "ceiling" in a given game was lower than Cale's. I think upper classmen Cale because of his defensive ability on wings/guards could play in most high major rotations. He was a starter for us, and would have been a role/rotation guy for some others, but I think his skill set played better in the Big East. Shavar was a competent off the bench buy with a limited role on our 19-20 team, but when he had to play more minutes at the Big East level he got exposed a bit IMO. Was nice to see him transfer down his last year and be the "man" which he could be at the mid-major level.

Of course these kids still keep working and getting better so who knows down the road where they play how they fit in.

Reactions: doctorcb12
Look at their last year of playing together at Seton Hall and you tell me who is the better player. The stat lines are nearly identical.

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS
Also, I didnt post to compare these two, they were both good players in their own right. The point I was trying to make was how talent is judged out of HS should be taken with a grain of salt.

That being said Sha coached up Shavar and coached up the St Peters team. Lets stop under estimating these "no name" guys he is brining in and trust the process, he has got a proven track record.

Also, I didnt post to compare these two, they were both good players in their own right. The point I was trying to make was how talent is judged out of HS should be taken with a grain of salt.

That being said Sha coached up Shavar and coached up the St Peters team. Lets stop under estimating these "no name" guys he is brining in and trust the process, he has got a proven track record.
I think rankings within the top 50 or so usually pan out more than not. When you get to the back-end of the top 100, compared to the 100-200 range, I think it is more than a crap shoot. And there will always be examples of a kid like Shavar he goes from an after thought to someone who can be a very good mid-major guard by the time he is an upperclassmen and a end-of-rotation contributor at the high-major level.

Shavar to me was the perfect example of a kid who could help a good high major team for 10 minutes as a rotation guard, but got exposed at the high major level when you asked him to play too big of a role.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT