ADVERTISEMENT

Bubble watch

That really is the wild card factor in all of this isn't it? How much weight, if any, does the Committee assign to Conference tournament results, toward earning a bid...as opposed to "seeding"; if it is used more for seeding, then our chances are significantly enhanced, I believe.

If however it is used for earning a bid...this was a bad year to be sitting on the bubble.

And the problem is....there are seemingly no set of rules for the Committee to abide by...so one year it can be "the tournaments didn't really affect our decisions" and another it can be "they were really impressive down the stretch, and for them to have that kind of showing in their conference tournament against quality opponents was enough for us to separate them from the other contenders"

I guess we shall find out tomorrow night...
For me the tournaments are overblown. Like Providence finished 3 games behind us , but what did they really accomplish in the conference tournament. They beat Georgetown and Creighton. Its was a nice run but should that really be equal to winning 3 less conference games?

I thought the BE conference was one of the best basketball conferences in the nation! SHU finished the regular season 13-7 in (4 th place) behind 3 teams listed in the top 10 in the nation. SHU beat UConn (defending national champion and the team that finished in 1st place with only 2 loses- one to SHU). SHU also beat Marquette and were two terrible ref calls from beating Creighton. Why play the BE regular season because it does not matter when they select teams. It is F'n joke.

I thought the BE conference was one of the best basketball conferences in the nation! SHU finished the regular season 13-7 in (4 th place) behind 3 teams listed in the top 10 in the nation. SHU beat UConn (defending national champion and the team that finished in 1st place with only 2 loses- one to SHU). SHU also beat Marquette and were two terrible ref calls from beating Creighton. Why play the BE regular season because it does not matter when they select teams. It is F'n joke.
mountain west projected to have more teams than the BE is crazy

The conference tournaments matter more than most think. A few teams steal bids by winning tournament and a couple win two or three games to advance to semi or final. This happens and a team like us might get knocked out. Really got to hope the teams already in win today for us to have decent chance to dance. Thinking we are 50/50 at best right now. Btw. I do think we get in over Providence. St. John’s not sure. Though we deserve it over them. No confidence in committee to take us over them.

The conference tournaments matter more than most think. A few teams steal bids by winning tournament and a couple win two or three games to advance to semi or final. This happens and a team like us might get knocked out. Really got to hope the teams already in win today for us to have decent chance to dance. Thinking we are 50/50 at best right now. Btw. I do think we get in over Providence. St. John’s not sure. Though we deserve it over them. No confidence in committee to take us over them.
This is the way I see it. I vastly underestimated the importance of conference tournaments. Not sure where I got the idea that most teams were already selected prior to the start. Lesson learned moving forward.

We can still hope and pray but don’t hold your breath

Reactions: Jerry1992

Exactly. I just don't see how we're not ahead of SJU and PC in the pecking order for teams picked.

If the committee takes 4 BE teams, we should be 4th.
Our wins are better than SJU and we beat them head to head and we each have 1 Q3 loss.
PC got the nice BET win, but we had 3 more regular season wins than them and split head to head.

If they get in ahead of us, it's essentially that they lost more efficiently than we did?

This is the way I see it. I vastly underestimated the importance of conference tournaments. Not sure where I got the idea that most teams were already selected prior to the start. Lesson learned moving forward.

What’s different this year is that teams no where near the bubble might win one game and bow out. Unfortunately, this year, these teams have won two or three games and really messed up the bubble. NC State (whom I expect to lose to UNC), New Mexico, Oregon, Texas A&M come to mind.

Well, that would be completely inconsistent with what the committee has done in the last 7-8 years. And what they have said.

Case in point was back in 2016 with our very own SHU. They beat no. 5 Xavier and no. 2/3 Villanova to win the BE tourney—all while being ranked no. 20 before the conference tourney.

That got them….the exact same seed they had before the tournament.

Did they go from a 6 to a 5? No.

Did they even get to play in the Eastern bracket? No.

They went West on the 6 line—usually reserved for the teams in the 21-24 range.

Bottom line is I don’t think the tournament counts for much unless you win it and weren’t supposed to get in.

Well, that would be completely inconsistent with what the committee has done in the last 7-8 years. And what they have said.

Case in point was back in 2016 with our very own SHU. They beat no. 5 Xavier and no. 2/3 Villanova to win the BE tourney—all while being ranked no. 20 before the conference tourney.

That got them….the exact same seed they had before the tournament.

Did they go from a 6 to a 5? No.

Did they even get to play in the Eastern bracket? No.

They went West on the 6 line—usually reserved for the teams in the 21-24 range.

Bottom line is I don’t think the tournament counts for much unless you win it and weren’t supposed to get in.
That’s kind of what I always thought. I hope I’m putting too much stock into the projections but it is what it is.

These bracketologists want clicks and also get caught up in the tourneys. The reason Thursday and Friday St John's was seen as in and now is out in some brackets. When you start doing hard comparisons, they don't have nearly as good a profile as Seton Hall with the exception of NET. But our SOR is quite good.

Exactly. I just don't see how we're not ahead of SJU and PC in the pecking order for teams picked.

If the committee takes 4 BE teams, we should be 4th.
Our wins are better than SJU and we beat them head to head and we each have 1 Q3 loss.
PC got the nice BET win, but we had 3 more regular season wins than them and split head to head.

If they get in ahead of us, it's essentially that they lost more efficiently than we did?
This. I was not at the BigEast Tournament game. Saw bits and pieces on my phone. I agree that Hall did not play with defensive focus. I was at both prior games. To me SJU has more parts, I don’t know about bells and whistles. When I left UBS Arena I truly felt we are better than SJU, maybe not much better. We beat them two out of three, but I know the metrics say they are better.

how did FAU not get a shot at the end of the game. Pathetic. Kind of like there's and Michigan States Resume but they will get in because of last year and the other because of Izzo and the continued overrated perception of the Big 10

NC State and Oregon. Hope not. Don’t see NC state winning but Oregon might.
I think the fix is in .nc and Colorado winning won't affect their seeding but losing gets another team in from their conference knocking out teams from other conferences like the big east..

its all a load of grade A horse crap. SJU fix. should be bottom half of the bubble yet everyone talking like theyre well in.

For me the tournaments are overblown. Like Providence finished 3 games behind us , but what did they really accomplish in the conference tournament. They beat Georgetown and Creighton. Its was a nice run but should that really be equal to winning 3 less conference games?
I agree. What did St John's accomplish in the BET? They won one game over us. They did a little better OOC with that win over Utah but that is it. Body of work? I guess conference record and head to head don't count. After all Hofstra beat GMU way back when but GMU got in and made that run. I am just so disgusted over the missed opportunities and the conference tournaments turn of events.

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
I agree. What did St John's accomplish in the BET? They won one game over us. They did a little better OOC with that win over Utah but that is it. Body of work? I guess conference record and head to head don't count. After all Hofstra beat GMU way back when but GMU got in and made that run. I am just so disgusted over the missed opportunities and the conference tournaments turn of events.
Don’t worry…we’re both not making it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT