ADVERTISEMENT

College coaches react, recruit in wake of ongoing scandal

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawi...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

'We're getting audited right now': College coaches react, recruit in wake of ongoing scandal

• By Adam Zagoria Special to the Arizona Daily Star
CARTERSVILLE, Ga. — Rick Barnes is 64 years old. He has been a Division I men’s basketball head coach for more than three decades.The Tennessee coach has pretty much seen it all when it comes to the college game.

Now that his sport is once again the subject of national headlines and news reports for all the wrong reasons, Barnes wants it known that not all college basketball coaches cheat.

“I think it affects all of us when something like that becomes a federal case,” Barnes said at last month’s Nike EYBL stop outside Atlanta, referring to the federal bribery case that resulted in aspiring agent Christian Dawkins and Adidas runner Merl Code being convicted on three total felony counts of bribery and conspiracy to commit bribery. “I think it affects all of us. The fact is there’s a lot more good than bad, and the fact is not everybody does what everybody thinks that everybody does. That’s the part that you don’t like.

“There’s a lot of guys that have been in this sport a long time … that have always tried to abide by the rules and do things the right way. Nobody’s perfect, but they’re not trying to circumvent the rules, they’re not trying to buy players, they’re not trying to do that.”

The NCAA is investigating Arizona and other prominent programs named in the federal claim and ensuing two trials. Former UA assistant Book Richardson has pleaded guilty to one federal funds bribery charge; he is expected to be sentenced on Thursday.

During the most recent trial, the jury heard secretly recorded audiotape in which Richardson said that coach Sean Miller “bought” former star Deandre Ayton for $10,000 a month.

Miller has not been charged with a crime. He has declared his innocence for more than a year now, ever since ESPN reported there was an audiotape in which Miller reportedly discussed a $100,000 payment for Ayton. Through two trials dating to last fall, that audiotape has still not surfaced.

Other head coaches were mentioned in the trials, too.

Richardson said LSU coach Will Wade told him he paid to land recruit Naz Reid. Richardson said on a recording that Wade told him, “Look, there’s a deal in place, I got $300,000 for (Reid).” Richardson said on tape that he told Wade, “give me half that and I’ll make sure he goes there.”

Reid declared for the NBA draft after one season. He told reporters at the draft’s combine earlier last week that the payment “didn’t happen.”

Still, Wade was recruiting at last month’s Nike event. Clemson coach Brad Brownell was, too — even after one of his assistants, Steve Smith, was the subject of a video shown to jurors during this spring’s trial. Smith bragged on the recording about his relationship with recruit Zion Williamson, and talked with Dawkins about what it might take to get Williamson to choose Clemson. Smith was recorded talking about visiting Williamson’s house with Brownell and having to pretend like he had never been there before.

When a reporter approached Brownell for comment on Smith, he said, “No, no,” and briskly walked away. Clemson later announced that Smith would not return.

Otherwise, it was mostly business as usual at the Nike event.

“You wouldn’t know anything’s going on,” Barnes said. “Everybody keeps going. It’ll just be interesting what happens when the NCAA is allowed to get what I guess the FBI has right now. When they get access we’ll see what happens and I like to think that what needs to be done will be done.”

NCAA president Mark Emmert has repeatedly said the NCAA is trying to obtain all of the material the FBI has from the trials, and at that point it can look into potential penalties against the schools mentioned.

Those schools include Louisville, Kansas and N.C. State, all all of which were mentioned in the first trial. Arizona was mentioned at length in the second trial. LSU was referenced in both trials.

“We still don’t have all the information that we would like to have from those trials. … (Information) is not automatically given to us,” Emmert said at last month’s Final Four. “They should provide that information so we can get to the facts, since there’s so much interest, not just on our part but across the country and knowing what really transpired.”

South Carolina coach Frank Martin said his sport needs to get its house in order. Martin is familiar with the federal trials: Onetime South Carolina assistant Lamont Evans was mentioned prominently during the trial. Asked about an alleged $2,500 bribe made on behalf of an NBA agent to Evans, Dawkins told the jury that the money instead was meant to cover the expenses of the family of basketball player P.J. Dozier. Evans left South Carolina for Oklahoma State in 2016. Dozier turned pro a year later, after South Carolina made the Final Four.

Barnes has been linked to some impropriety, too. A 2015 report in the Chronicle of Higher Education alleged that some of Barnes’ players at Texas, where he coached from 1998-2015, received improper academic assistance. At the time, Texas officials told Sports Illustrated that they had no information to suggest Barnes was directly involved. Tennessee self-reported a Level III NCAA violation in 2017 after Barnes paid an assistant coach extra money out of his own pocket. He told the USA Today network it was important that the assistant, Des Oliver, made as much as another aide.

Asked if things were any different in college basketball now, Martin said he wasn’t sure.

“That’s only different for the people that are guilty in any way, shape or form,” he said. “And I’m not judge, jury, I’m not the prosecutor, I’m not the investigator. I go home and I sleep pretty good at night. Where it only changes is for the people that have partaken in the ugly side of the business. That happens in every walk of life.

“I got into this business because the majority of coaches that I met as a young high school coach are hard-working, ethical people that want to help young folks. That’s why I got into this business. In my heart, I know that there’s more of those than the other.

“Every business in every walk of life gets audited. We’re getting audited right now, so we gotta fix the problems.”

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-comments-since-his-controversial-suspension/

What we learned from LSU basketball coach Will Wade's first comments since his controversial suspension

What Wade didn't say may be more telling than what he actually said Tuesday at the SEC spring meetings

by Dennis Dodd

DESTIN, Fla. – If the idea was for Will Wade to clear the air, consider the future of both LSU basketball and its coach still wrapped in fog.

Wade spoke publicly Tuesday at the SEC's spring meetings for the first time since he was suspended on March 8 and reinstated 37 days later.

It did not go well.

While admitting to "mistakes being made," Wade partially blamed lawyers for his suspension that resulted from him refusing to meet with school officials after the infamous "strong-ass offer" comment was caught on an FBI wiretap.

"I think I made a poor decision in how I handled that," Wade said. "I think if I had to do it over I would have taken the meeting. Once you get lawyers involved things get more drawn out.

"Looking back on things [we should have] gotten in a room together a lot quicker than we did. That was my mistake. It was something I did in haste."

Wade did not answer a direct question about whether he or his staff paid players or any members of their families, leaving open the question of whether that in fact had occurred at LSU. Instead, Wade made a vague reference to a meeting he had with LSU and the NCAA before being reinstated April 14.

"I understand you have to ask that question," Wade said. "I've addressed the latest situation. All that other stuff I assure you, I can't get into the meeting. I can assure you that everything you can think of was addressed in that meeting with LSU and with the NCAA and ultimately led to my reinstatement."

Wade's name emerged in the spring during the wide-ranging FBI investigation of college basketball. While there had been whispers as to how Wade, in his second season at LSU, had assembled a top recruiting class, no solid evidence had been forthcoming until the wiretap.

The 36-year old had previously coached at VCU and Chattanooga.

"I certainly want to get to a point where I can have full disclosure," Wade said. "We're just not at that place right now."

Tuesday, then, went from strong-ass offer to weak-ass press conference. Wade may have good reason for obfuscating. In his reworked contract with LSU, he can be fired with cause if the NCAA so much as starts a Level I or Level II infractions investigation.

Wade also waived a $250,000 performance bonus after leading the Tigers to the SEC regular-season championship.

An LSU source Tuesday said that for the moment Wade has the school's support. The source said there is no current NCAA investigation.

Sources said Wade sought to meet with an assembled media group – there are several national outlets here – rather than continually address his situation in several separate interviews.

"It's going to take time to build trust with Scott," Wade said.

He was referring to new athletic director Scott Woodward.

Given all that, Wade's reputation might be the most damaged of any currently employed Division I coach.

• Wade was suspended March 8 by his LSU superiors for not agreeing to meet with them after he was caught on that wiretap admitting to that "strong-ass offer" for the services of then-freshman Javonte Smart.
    Asked directly Tuesday whether he had said those words, Wade said, "I have not heard the tape so I don't know.

"It's a good question. I can't get into the specifics of everything but I can assure you in my meetings with the LSU and NCAA I have addressed everything."
  • Thirty-seven days later on April 14, Wade was reinstated after indeed meeting with LSU officials and NCAA and denying "any wrongdoing" according to then-AD Joe Alleva.

• Slightly more than two weeks later, convicted former Arizona assistant Book Richardson said on an FBI video Wade had a $300,000 "deal" to land five-star recruit Naz Reid.
    Wade denied the Richardson allegation.

"It's absolutely false and did not happen," Wade said Tuesday.

Reid averaged 13.6 points and 7.2 rebounds as an LSU freshman.

Wade was asked what finally led him to cooperate with LSU and the NCAA.

"It was a complicated situation," he said. "When it first occurred, I made a mistake. I wish it wouldn't have taken 37 days for it to happen … I severely underestimated maybe how long it would take for the lawyers to work through some of those issues."

As far as recruiting, Wade said he has gotten questions about his current situation but also gotten sympathy for getting through the process – to this point.

"I've come off as a little bit brash to be honest," Wade concluded. "I think that's rubbed some folks the wrong way. That's my fault."

What they said

An LSU source Tuesday said that for the moment Wade has the school's support. The source said there is no current NCAA investigation.

What they meant

We're hoping this goes away but if it doesn't we'll be forced to take action.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT