ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Gavitt for Big East Commissioner

Blueswayedshus

Recruit
Nov 15, 2019
When she was needed to fight for her conference, Val went AWOL. I think Dan Gavitt is the obvious choice as her replacement. Not only for legacy reasons, but all of the insiders who are on the committee now and in the near future are his friends, plus he seems to be good on tv. Might want to get out of the NCAA before it collapses.

He didn’t speak up either though, when given the chance. It’s a little concerning.
True. Perhaps with all of them there's an aspect of "playing politics" with it publicity to avoid burning any bridges. I mean, Jay was always a gentleman in the press conference. But I'd be confident that, behind closed doors, he'd be he getting himself "T'd up" (and then rescinded lol) to make sure the calls go his team's way in the future. And that's why I want him leading our Big East team.

True. Perhaps with all of them there's an aspect of "playing politics" with it publicity to avoid burning any bridges. I mean, Jay was always a gentleman in the press conference. But I'd be confident that, behind closed doors, he'd be he getting himself "T'd up" (and then rescinded lol) to make sure the calls go his team's way in the future. And that's why I want him leading our Big East team.
No, I mean, in all honesty I don’t think he would be a bad choice. I was just pointing out that, at least publicly, he didn’t get any more fired up than Val. I think a lot of us were looking to him during that broadcast to step up and say something. That said, I wouldn’t question his leadership abilities. If it came down to it, he is certainly worthy of strong consideration. As things stand, it looks like we may be looking for new leadership in the not too distant future anyway.

Jay is having too much fun making lots of money on CBS and not having to work too many days. He is also involved in raising NIL for Nova. He would never want to deal with being commissioner although would be the best mouthpiece for the Conference ever.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Seton Hall loses out on a tournament bid because of a high number of bid thieves and this board loses its mind. The last couple days have been eye opening with some of the nonsense being posted here.

Seton Hall was in the tournament Saturday morning. Saturday night, NC State and Oregon stole bids and bumped the Hall out. It's a simple explanation and not a grand conspiracy against the Big East.

No, I mean, in all honesty I don’t think he would be a bad choice. I was just pointing out that, at least publicly, he didn’t get any more fired up than Val. I think a lot of us were looking to him during that broadcast to step up and say something. That said, I wouldn’t question his leadership abilities. If it came down to it, he is certainly worthy of strong consideration. As things stand, it looks like we may be looking for new leadership in the not too distant future anyway.
Seriously, what makes you say that the BE may be looking for new leadership? The league is probably heavily involved in media negotiations now, no time to make changes IMO.

Seriously, what makes you say that the BE may be looking for new leadership? The league is probably heavily involved in media negotiations now, no time to make changes IMO.
They are in talks to extend with current cable and broadcast partners and hope to land a standalone package that is exclusive to a streamer/big tech group

What I meant was the strong reaction to her non reaction. It seems to only be picking up momentum. It’s not just us who are disgusted with her. It spoke volumes to the entire conference. If there was confidence in her before, it’s definitely wavering right now. I’m not predicting something is going to happen in the next year or anything, but this may have been a turning point in her tenure as commissioner. Or….I could be completely wrong. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. Time and other factors will tell. But I would say her future as commissioner of this conference is a lot less certain than it was before the weekend.

Seton Hall loses out on a tournament bid because of a high number of bid thieves and this board loses its mind. The last couple days have been eye opening with some of the nonsense being posted here.

Seton Hall was in the tournament Saturday morning. Saturday night, NC State and Oregon stole bids and bumped the Hall out. It's a simple explanation and not a grand conspiracy against the Big East.
nc state and oregon stole bids from virginia and mich st. but the biased rigged committee would NEVER stiff them.

just too many damning points. dont think for one second that the ncaa does ANYTHING right or above board.

When she was needed to fight for her conference, Val went AWOL. I think Dan Gavitt is the obvious choice as her replacement. Not only for legacy reasons, but all of the insiders who are on the committee now and in the near future are his friends, plus he seems to be good on tv. Might want to get out of the NCAA before it collapses.
He wanted it last time and lost out to her .

Reactions: LBP43

“Simple explanation” hahaha. You’re so silly.

Interesting reading that you are not a believer of grand conspiracy. lol. Seton Hall got screwed because they have a better Tournament resume than Virginia and Mich St. Virginia didn't have to play NC and Duke twice but lost to the two best teams in the ACC. their best wins are Texas AM and Clemson. Who did Virginia beat? The Hall deserves it more. Yes there were a lot of bid stealers. But the ACC should have paid the price for NC St winning the conference tournament.

And this love for the Mountain West to get 6 teams in is a travesty. If the league's best team could not get better than was an 8 seed and the rest of the league landed at 10 or 11 seed, it amazes me that league got in that many teams over a Seton Hall. It is not justified.

nc state and oregon stole bids from virginia and mich st. but the biased rigged committee would NEVER stiff them.

just too many damning points. dont think for one second that the ncaa does ANYTHING right or above board.

Oklahoma and Seton Hall were the first two teams out. That means they were the victims of Oregon and NC State.

“Simple explanation” hahaha. You’re so silly.

It is. Seton Hall was in. Then two more bid stealers knocked it out. Why can't you see that? Seton Hall was the #2 team on the first four out list, meaning NC State knocked it out. Then Oregon knocked the Pirates down to #2 out and knocked Oklahoma out. That's the way it works when there are bid stealers. If you can't see that, you aren't too bright.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bud Boomer
It is. Seton Hall was in. Then two more bid stealers knocked it out. Why can't you see that? Seton Hall was the #2 team on the first four out list, meaning NC State knocked it out. Then Oregon knocked the Pirates down to #2 out and knocked Oklahoma out. That's the way it works when there are bid stealers. If you can't see that, you aren't too bright.
Thanks for the mansplanation.

Oklahoma and Seton Hall were the first two teams out. That means they were the victims of Oregon and NC State.
based on the committee rigging it. what don't you get? virginia lost by TWENTY FIVE. not only was their resume objectively worse, theyre overall team is worse. no denying it. seton hall stayed home because the committee fraudulently picked virginia on bias alone. its the WWE man.

This could be very amusing if Pitino continues to throw twitter bombs for the entire tournament.
Make no mistake : Pitino wants to be the next/ current Jay.

Frankly I would wish the conference would reach out to/ cultivate Danny in that role.

You need not only “conference power” but you need national respect…which, via a national championship, Danny has planted the seeds for.

And in this era of “ now” . It may not take long for that to be seen.

Interesting reading that you are not a believer of grand conspiracy. lol. Seton Hall got screwed because they have a better Tournament resume than Virginia and Mich St. Virginia didn't have to play NC and Duke twice but lost to the two best teams in the ACC. their best wins are Texas AM and Clemson. Who did Virginia beat? The Hall deserves it more. Yes there were a lot of bid stealers. But the ACC should have paid the price for NC St winning the conference tournament.

And this love for the Mountain West to get 6 teams in is a travesty. If the league's best team could not get better than was an 8 seed and the rest of the league landed at 10 or 11 seed, it amazes me that league got in that many teams over a Seton Hall. It is not justified.
With a blanket criteria the most deserving at large candidates should have been selected and the tournament field should have been seeded to a standard...this is not about punishing any particular conf because one of their lesser members autobidded to get in.

You continually post how confused everyone on this board is to even think the Committee made a mistake having Seton Hall and others so close to the cut line, when respected commenters are simultaneously criticizing the Committee. Even Lunardi felt the need to tweet criticism of the Committee after that Virginia performance.

Cern makes a great point. The highest seed for a conference with 6 teams in was a 5. We had the 1A, a 2 and a 3.

Our UConn win should have benm for all practical purposes good for 3 Q1 wins and the Committee knew that and publicly devalued it because Clingan got injured in the 2nd half. Here are some questions for you -

Have you ever heard a Committee member devalue a win for a team due to an injury on another team?

Did he mention we lost 2 games without our first team All conference player?

Do you think if Michigan St or UVA had a win over UConn under the same circumstances, that the Committee would have mentioned an injury or would it have used it to justify an even higher seed?

The Committee moved the goalposts on criteria, emphasizing certain aspects with one team and a different one with another, to justify its decisions. Sometimes the criteria they used to support one team actually would have suported a snubbed team. Why not comment on that issue? Do you think the selection of Virginia was a good one? What about Colorado State?

Last edited:
With a blanket criteria the most deserving at large candidates should have been selected and the tournament field should have been seeded to a standard...this is not about punishing any particular conf because one of their lesser members autobidded to get in.
Well you may not like the word punish but the fact is Virgina head to head with Seton Hall does not match up in anything. Seton Hall had the better resume period. Since NC.St won that conference, Virginia should have been knocked out. Based upon objective criteria and especially since it came from that league.

Shu09,

That is not necessarily true on how the final selection rankings materialized.

A legitimate concern was that while Seton Hall, Oklahoma, Virginia and Colorado were slated for Dayton before the final 2 bid stealers, after the NC State and Oregon bid steals, the committee jumped Virginia and/or Colorado over Oklahoma and Seton Hall.

Your "you are not so bright" comment made to the directed poster was uncalled for.

They weren’t reconsidering anything. It’s clear yet again they had the bracket in place and weren’t adjusting based on each day of Champ Week. They had teams higher than Seton Hall and upsets happened to knock us out and then they had to scramble to re-seed.

I disagree that Seton Hall was ranked lower than some of these teams, even with the upset. But this has been going on for 40 years. Bubble teams have blemishes, we had our own, and then you leave it up to people to decide. Who knows what they wanted or why. There’s so many criteria.

But the BE has to look internally bc this league can’t only be putting 3/11 teams in as a supposed basketball only focus. Hopefully is just an outlier.

They weren’t reconsidering anything. It’s clear yet again they had the bracket in place and weren’t adjusting based on each day of Champ Week. They had teams higher than Seton Hall and upsets happened to knock us out and then they had to scramble to re-seed.

I disagree that Seton Hall was ranked lower than some of these teams, even with the upset. But this has been going on for 40 years. Bubble teams have blemishes, we had our own, and then you leave it up to people to decide. Who knows what they wanted or why. There’s so many criteria.

But the BE has to look internally bc this league can’t only be putting 3/11 teams in as a supposed basketball only focus. Hopefully is just an outlier.
what they wanted: not big east teams.

how do you look internally for that? you saw it first hand last night. they wanted UVA. because theyre UVA. certainly not because they've beaten nobody and barely break 40pts on average. and promptly saw a 25 pt loss to another 11 seed. they're simply not wanting to put these teams in . shu has always got the short end of the stick

Right. The selection process worked against us. It’s clear they had a bracket set on Thursday evening. Our NET (fairly) placed us toward the end of the seed list. Then when the bid stealers came along, they pulled teams off from the end of the bracket. They don’t go back and re-evaluate something like Seton Hall vs MSU or whether ISU should move up to be a stronger 2 seed. If you pass the in/out test on Thursday, then a good net protects you.

I don’t think an angry statement is super helpful. There are enough third parties out there arguing our case and it doesn’t seem whiny coming from them.

I would like to see Val spend part of the summer talking about the process and how it might change in the future. The committee doesn’t have to be made of ADs and league commissioners who do it as a side job. The committee could say in the summer how it intends to rank considerations (non-conf SOS, road wins, etc.). I know it’ll never happen, but you’d probably have a better outcome if the selection show was on Monday. She’s the leader of the basketball-first leagues and it’d be a good time to talk about fixing this.

Reactions: Halldan1 and Piratz
Right. The selection process worked against us. It’s clear they had a bracket set on Thursday evening. Our NET (fairly) placed us toward the end of the seed list. Then when the bid stealers came along, they pulled teams off from the end of the bracket. They don’t go back and re-evaluate something like Seton Hall vs MSU or whether ISU should move up to be a stronger 2 seed. If you pass the in/out test on Thursday, then a good net protects you.

I don’t think an angry statement is super helpful. There are enough third parties out there arguing our case and it doesn’t seem whiny coming from them.

I would like to see Val spend part of the summer talking about the process and how it might change in the future. The committee doesn’t have to be made of ADs and league commissioners who do it as a side job. The committee could say in the summer how it intends to rank considerations (non-conf SOS, road wins, etc.). I know it’ll never happen, but you’d probably have a better outcome if the selection show was on Monday. She’s the leader of the basketball-first leagues and it’d be a good time to talk about fixing this.
They should have gone back to the chart with an unprecedented amount of bid stealers. When they were seeding and determining the field on Thursday night, they thought most of the teams would get into the tourney accounting for typical number of bid stealers. So, then it is only a seeding issue.

When 5 less spots were available it is a different decision paradigm. Now, teams are being left out completely and not just improperly seeded. All of which makes the FAU and MSU seeds a joke and the 6 MWC teams in more ridiculous. You need to take a second look.

Reactions: Hall Is Life

With Val, it’s more about managing a business and ensuring a brand isn’t devalued after it just performed poorly than it is about the actual basketball or this Committee. It’s like when a product company has an issue and how they react and frame it. Not sure she’s that type. But more aggressive types would be marketing everywhere left and right and it catches fire on social media, etc. It’s what administrators do.

Good thing the BE will likely have the NC yet again.

Reactions: Section112
They should have gone back to the chart with an unprecedented amount of bid stealers. When they were seeding and determining the field on Thursday night, they thought most of the teams would get into the tourney accounting for typical number of bid stealers. So, then it is only a seeding issue.

When 5 less spots were available it is a different decision paradigm. Now, teams are being left out completely and not just improperly seeded. All of which makes the FAU and MSU seeds a joke and the 6 MWC teams in more ridiculous. You need to take a second look.
But why? They thought Dayton, MSU, FAU, UVA, etc were all better than Seton Hall. The decisions that kept us out were done way in advance. They saw no reason to change their teams just adjust for the upsets.

These conference tournaments are too crazy to adjust daily.

I agree with you with the amount of bid stealers, probably should have gone back & maybe re-evaluated, but that is not what is done by the selection committee. Also, if they reviewed, still doesn't mean SHU gets into tourney.

While I and most BE fans feel SHU got screwed, there would be equal amount of B10 and/or ACC fans complaining if MSU or Virginia were left out.

Why would they need to go back with bid stealers? All it did was kill the bottom of the bracket.

So UAB, Oregon, NC State and Oregon alone knocked out Oklahoma, Seton Hall, Indiana State, and Pittsburgh (Committee loved their ACC) in that order. There was no need to reexamine. The decisions they made on UVA, MSU, the Mountain West.

Well you may not like the word punish but the fact is Virgina head to head with Seton Hall does not match up in anything. Seton Hall had the better resume period. Since NC.St won that conference, Virginia should have been knocked out. Based upon objective criteria and especially since it came from that league.
No, because at large bids is not about conference coalition or affiliation, the standard should be about the individual contenders as teams regardless of what conference they play in. Ok let me give a hypothetical against this mess of a thought.
Next season 5 big east quads are kicking ass, will all be single digit seeds. The 6th seed had some hurts and a marginal record. It all comes together for them and they win 4 in 4 days. Now you want to punish the league and take away the 5th team because a longshot autobidded?

Reactions: shu09
No, because at large bids is not about conference coalition or affiliation, the standard should be about the individual contenders as teams regardless of what conference they play in. Ok let me give a hypothetical against this mess of a thought.
Next season 5 big east quads are kicking ass, will all be single digit seeds. The 6th seed had some hurts and a marginal record. It all comes together for them and they win 4 in 4 days. Now you want to punish the league and take away the 5th team because a longshot autobidded?
If that 5th team was a play in team, yes. The answer would be no if the team was firmly in the tournament field. You are being too general. Virginia did not belong in the dance. It was borderline team at best. So if a team like NC St wins the tournament, then that barely on the right side of the bubble team should be dropped.

Similarly, if somehow Providence made a run to the Championship Game, Seton Hall would have been dropped.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT