ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Gavitt for Big East Commissioner

If that 5th team was a play in team, yes. The answer would be no if the team was firmly in the tournament field. You are being too general. Virginia did not belong in the dance. It was borderline team at best. So if a team like NC St wins the tournament, then that barely on the right side of the bubble team should be dropped.

Similarly, if somehow Providence made a run to the Championship Game, Seton Hall would have been dropped.
Bubble teams in this case were dropped due to bid stealers but putting a cap on teams in field per conference is a no no...virginia yes a marginal squad similar to others this year who did not get in. Don't see why any particular conf should be penalized.

Reactions: shu09
If that 5th team was a play in team, yes. The answer would be no if the team was firmly in the tournament field. You are being too general. Virginia did not belong in the dance. It was borderline team at best. So if a team like NC St wins the tournament, then that barely on the right side of the bubble team should be dropped.

Similarly, if somehow Providence made a run to the Championship Game, Seton Hall would have been dropped.
What is sad is I don't think Virginia was even borderline. They were an awful watch too with how they couldn't score all year. Does the Committee actually watch any games?

Shu09,

That is not necessarily true on how the final selection rankings materialized.

A legitimate concern was that while Seton Hall, Oklahoma, Virginia and Colorado were slated for Dayton before the final 2 bid stealers, after the NC State and Oregon bid steals, the committee jumped Virginia and/or Colorado over Oklahoma and Seton Hall.

Your "you are not so bright" comment made to the directed poster was uncalled for.
Thanks but I’m used to it. He always finds himself on an island but it’s the rest of us who are dazed and confused. I take it with a grain of salt. I don’t even know why I continue to go back and forth with a guy who is consistently so blatantly wrong and doesn’t choose to see both sides of an argument. That’s on me.

It’s his way or the highway but it’s all of us who are the morons! Shame shame.

I’ll say this before and I’ll say it again. If you’re drunk and the entire room tells you to sit down because you’re drunk…well then shut up and sit down because you are in fact drunk. Describes shu09 in a nutshell.

But why? They thought Dayton, MSU, FAU, UVA, etc were all better than Seton Hall. The decisions that kept us out were done way in advance. They saw no reason to change their teams just adjust for the upsets.

These conference tournaments are too crazy to adjust daily.
What were they doing from Thurssay night until Sunday, eating bad food? Of course you have to pay attention to the conference tourneys and the upsets.

They are in talks to extend with current cable and broadcast partners and hope to land a standalone package that is exclusive to a streamer/big tech group
IF they are looking for a new commish, or when they do, I think the trend is and becoming looking OUTSIDE college athletics and into the business/TV world. The trend is just about established. B10 with Tony Pettiti.....Big 12 with Brett Yormark.....a Sean McManus from CBS who is retiring could be interested in a retirement job like commissioner of a league.

Posted this on Selection Sunday, but thought the Vegas lines that afternoon were notable, and they didn’t jive in full with how the Committee apparently saw things. Usually Vegas is good with this stuff because they aren’t in the business of losing money.

Of the so-called bubble teams generating discussion, at about 5 pm on Selection Sunday, here is how at least two of the gambling sites had it:

Mich State was the clear favorite of those to get in. They were -1100 to make the dance, meaning you had to bet $1100 to make a $100 return.

Followed by TCU & Texas A&M. Then FAU. All strong odds to dance per Vegas. Then it got interesting.

My recall is Oklahoma and Colorado were next best odds to make it. Somewhere in the mid -200 territory. So Vegas was off on the Sooners.

Then St John’s. They were up to around -170 to make the dance and +150 to NOT dance. With all the bid stealers I had a hunch they were out and made some nice coin getting the plus odds and betting them to miss out. Vegas was obviously a bit off on them too.

Then Indiana State, Virginia, and Hall were last. Virginia was +500 to make the dance. As they were one of our primary competitors -at least I thought - I made some nice coin on them too, betting them to make it. Vegas missed there too.

We were around +570 to make the dance as the selection approached. So Vegas was alot less bullish on us dancing.

I recall Indiana State was the last one Vegas had and the best odds for gamblers.

Providence - didn’t even see any lines for them.

Val is the best commissioner out there for the BE period! Val is in a position where what is done is done and reacting a certain way may yield the opposite effects in the future.
We didn't have an online community back in '89 but if we did there would be countless thread pissed at PJ for his phantom foul reaction. I'm guessing many would have called for a Bob knight reaction of throwing chairs.
The NCAA is never going to come out and admit their mistakes and the BE reaction has to ensure that the committee will react differently in the future.

IF they are looking for a new commish, or when they do, I think the trend is and becoming looking OUTSIDE college athletics and into the business/TV world. The trend is just about established. B10 with Tony Pettiti.....Big 12 with Brett Yormark.....a Sean McManus from CBS who is retiring could be interested in a retirement job like commissioner of a league.
Val was somewhat outside of college athletics and postings here since selection sunday ridicule her for that

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT