ADVERTISEMENT

Defense ?

Izo

All American
Nov 1, 2008
Sorry ,This team just does not play defense well . Man to man ? Another long year . Hard to see where wins come from in Big East conference . Watching the Hall at Walsh for many years and then the great Pirate teams in Carlesimo's last 6 years (1988 our first NCAA ) to 1994 . A couple of sweet 16s, an elite 8, a final 4 into championship game . Even under Amaker , sweet 16, and Orr, 2 NCAAs .

I'm back to my frustration time . Just keep rooting one game at a time. Hope.

Sorry ,This team just does not play defense well . Man to man ? Another long year . Hard to see where wins come from in Big East conference . Watching the Hall at Walsh for many years and then the great Pirate teams in Carlesimo's last 6 years (1988 our first NCAA ) to 1994 . A couple of sweet 16s, an elite 8, a final 4 into championship game . Even under Amaker , sweet 16, and Orr, 2 NCAAs .

I think our d will be better. We are not gonna be like 89, but I think we are better.

We're allowing far too many looks and on the offensive end there's no flow. Right now we play like kids on a playground far too often.

We'll see if he can coach 'em up because the talent and upside is there. We've got guys who can handle the ball, create offense, get to the line and we attack the boards very well. Those are excellent building blocks.

Reactions: BabyBlue
The game reflects our team - disjointed, spurts of good defense, athletic one-on-one moves, but no real offensive or defensive rhythm or consistency. The team played hard, but not enough outside shooters to keep pace with GW, which has several excellent shooters.

Some bright spots - Carrington is really becoming the talent we all thought he could be. Pretty much scored at will tonight, and had several beautiful drives to the basket within the flow of the game. Gordon made some good passes and plays within the team concept. Wish he could shoot from outside.

Desi did some good things - needs to play in crunch time. He made a few nice passes from the foul line to break the zone. Also is creative off the dribble. Outside shot looks really awkward, even though his percentage is decent. We so badly need a forward who can shoot from outside. Singh is young and inconsistent.

Whitehead seemed in a funk tonight - didn't impress me with his handling of the zone pressure when they doubled him. We don't attack or pass it well to make teams pay for the double teams, especially against the 3-2 zone. Honestly, the offensive flow was better tonight when Carrington and Gordon were running the team. Off night for Whitehead on all fronts.

Delgado looks nothing like Big East Rookie of the Year. Either the offense isn't getting him involved or poor outside shooting is keeping all the defenders inside clogging the middle. He looks like the 5th option on offense out there.

Hope Ish gets well soon. He's the heart of our defense right now, which is very much a work in progress.

The defense stunk the last 10 games last season and has stunk for the most part this season. Can't wait 'til we get exposed in the league again. I think we can put to bed the notion that this team is going to be good on the defensive end here. I have a bridge to sell you if you think this D is any good.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
If a good true PG ever got lost and stumbled about the little catholic school in South Orange NJ, we might a NCAA team. Throw in a 6-10 shot blocker and who the heck knows what could be done. But the Soph class is talented, real talented. There just is no conductor to bring all the instruments into one sound. It makes me sad a little, because we use to have a great PG tradition. Every John needs a Paul.....

Wow, and that's coming from a fan. Do you want to win or be proven correct?

I know personally, that I would gladly take being exposed if it meant that we would get rid of Willard, but I think even if we continue our crummy conference play as he has for the rest of his tenure that we will get another year of Willardball next year. This is the only reason I hope and pray for a miracle. All the prayers to St Jude cant solve our hopeless case coach sadly it seems........a real kick in the nuts to the power of prayer......

Wow, and that's coming from a fan. Do you want to win or be proven correct?

The excuse last year was Mobley, Gibbs, and Sina were terrible defenders. Well they're gone and the defense still stinks. No adjustments on the defensive end so far and we haven't played that tough a schedule at all. Do you actually think this D is going to shut down the Nova', X's, and Butler's? Not from what I have watched this season. It's time to stop sugar coating that Willard is a good defensive coach. It's nonsense.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
The excuse last year was Mobley, Gibbs, and Sina were terrible defenders. Well they're gone and the defense still stinks. No adjustments on the defensive end so far and we haven't played that tough a schedule at all. Do you actually think this D is going to shut down the Nova', X's, and Butler's? Not from what I have watched this season. It's time to stop sugar coating that Willard is a good defensive coach. It's nonsense.

Just thought of Roosevelt Jones driving through the lane. Yikes.

LOL!!!

lol. At least this guy has more humor than gonzo's sis. I see teams getting too many easy shots, no doubt about it. But the defense looks better to me. Maybe it is good and then breaks down. Maybe I am just wishing it was better and fooling myself. But I thought it looked better vs GA and GW.

The offense vs the zone is bad. And little Isaiah did last night was good. When they don't respect a team's ability to shoot, the court can get kinda small sometimes.

That's not the point I made. You're a fan off the Hall and you make the comment "Can't wait 'til we get exposed in the league again."

Makes me wonder.

That's not the point I made. You're a fan off the Hall and you make the comment "Can't wait 'til we get exposed in the league again."

Makes me wonder.

Not sure why you are questioning me as a Hall hoops fan. This team is no where near cutting it with the big boys in the league with this roster. I'm sorry if people don't like to hear that. Is the talent better in year 6? Somewhat but also think some of this talent is very overrated. Am I happy with state of program today? Absolutely not. I'm tired of playing on Wednesday nights in opening round of BE tourney year after year after year.

How much credibility do you place in Willard's ability to get this team into an effective offensive flow and to get this team to play sound defensively ? He hasn't been able to achieve those goals in the past 5 seasons, it's not happened so far this year and why would anyone expect that to change.

How much credibility do you place in Willard's ability to get this team into an effective offensive flow and to get this team to play sound defensively ? He hasn't been able to achieve those goals in the past 5 seasons, it's not happened so far this year and why would anyone expect that to change.

BINGO!!!

SF44 is spot on about Weds night at BET. In my opinion, that's the bottom line with Willard. How many times have we NOT played on the opening night of the BET?? At a certain point, you have to show up

It's amazing how much better his offense would look with someone like Jordan Theodore running the point lol

Long Beach state hit over 50% for the game. GW was over that most of the game until the end and conclued at 48%. We let Georgia hit at more than 50% in the first half on Saturday.

We are 205th in 2PT defense. That's a problem.

This straight from the horse's mouth - a GW player. (See quote below). Our defense is poor and coaches are instructing their players to take advantage. Good defensive teams play good man-to-man d.

Remember the PJ days. Willard's defenses may confuse his players more than the opposition. Or maybe the kids are still a work in progress. This group has superb athletic talent and foot speed, so let's not make excuses this year. No reason for teams to be shooting 50 percent against us all year long. Last year, teams had a field day inside against us in Big East play.

“They got out of that [zone] and went straight man to man,” McDonald said. “We talked about how they weren’t strong on the ball-screen defense. We took advantage of that – everyone did, getting to the paint and creating for others.”

Reactions: deheremike
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT