ADVERTISEMENT

Delgado

SPK145

All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Delado had a pretty nice game tonight with 15 points, 6 rebounds against Canada. Canada's roster looks pretty good while the Dominican Republic is overmatched.

Good experience for him. Always a thrill to represent your country or birthplace. The more he plays, the better.

Delado had a pretty nice game tonight with 15 points, 6 rebounds against Canada. Canada's roster looks pretty good while the Dominican Republic is overmatched.
Steve, didn't get a chance to watch the game. Could you provide individual details on how Angel played?

CKeZEdlUcAADC2q.png

Just saw the boxscore for todays game and Angel only played two minutes. Anyone watch? Did he get hurt?

I'd like to see us make a concerted effort to feed Delgado more in the post this upcoming season.

Me too Piratz. I assume he ups his post game this year. But he is a good passer too. Maybe get it to the post instead of the third hand off.

Still no word on his injury status? I've looked around and can't find anything. Just weird to have such a good game and then barely play the next couple.

He was never hurt. DR got killed in the first game, he played a lot after the game was no longer in doubt. Didn't play much when it mattered. He's young, great experience for him, it will only help.

Me too Piratz. I assume he ups his post game this year. But he is a good passer too. Maybe get it to the post instead of the third hand off.

We took less of a % of 3's last year because we finally had a multiple guards who could put the ball on the floor, but it wasn't always a flowing, pretty offense to say the least, LOL. And last year's team had some perimeter shooters, even though Mobley and Sina uncharacteristically shot quite poorly.

This year we'll have less shooters. Maybe Whitehead will be alright. Maybe this kid Singh can shoot it. Perhaps Soffer off the bench. But that's it. Need that post-up game to be dynamic this season. We did it a bit with Teague, but those rosters basically had Big Gene and 3PT shooters; Gibbs was the lone player who could put the ball on the hardwood in those years. This year could have that post scorer and playmakers.

Last edited:
Delgado probably needs to be a minimum 16 and 10 guy in the league this season. Personally for the Hall to be any good he needs to be a 20 and 10 guy but that is a ton to ask for.

Reactions: Piratz
Delgado probably needs to be a minimum 16 and 10 guy in the league this season. Personally for the Hall to be any good he needs to be a 20 and 10 guy but that is a ton to ask for.

I think that's possible from an ability standpoint, but getting to 16 is a lot. He was at 9.3 and 9.8 last year in 28 MPG.

His toughness, athleticism, and footwork on the blocks was impressive for a freshmen. Plus his obvious rebounding prowess build on using that athleticism with a ferociousness to fight for position and attack the glass. The abyssmal FT shooting holds back output. He shot 41% from the stripe in 31 games (46/111). If he could've shot just a pedestrian 65% on the season he would've added another full point to his PPG and been at 10.3.

His defense was hot and cold, but I think a lot of that was the foul trouble. Needs to improve there. Maybe we have some more help for him on the blocks than last year with Anthony and Anderson? Time will tell. Mobley wasn't a blocks defender as he'd get pushed around easily because of his thin frame. Mobley was like that classic shooting stretch-4.

I think that's possible from an ability standpoint, but getting to 16 is a lot. He was at 9.3 and 9.8 last year in 28 MPG.

The abyssmal FT shooting holds back output. He shot 41% from the stripe in 31 games (46/111). If he could've shot just a pedestrian 65% on the season he would've added another full point to his PPG and been at 10.3..

Figure is actually higher because Angel missed many front end of 1 and 1's. I think he should average around 15 to 16 points per game. He leaves too many points at the free throw line.

Figure is actually higher because Angel missed many front end of 1 and 1's. I think he should average around 15 to 16 points per game. He leaves too many points at the free throw line.
I think you must subtract the 46 shots he made from the 72 he should have made. Thus it is close to another one point per game.

Pope was an animal pre injury. But he was also a junior. I think if angel puts on weight he will be a better rebounder. just has a knack it seems.

This does point out another deficiency in Willards tenure...defense by our bigs. Pope, Teague and Angel all have shown offensive ability as well as great rebound numbers but their defense (and blocked shots) have been mediocre at best. Has Willard had any lock down big man defender? Is it matter of recruiting or poor teaching? We have had a lot of walking foul machines. Auda probably played the best positional defense of any 4/5 Willard recruit, but he wasn't scaring anyone with his D.

This does point out another deficiency in Willards tenure...defense by our bigs. Pope, Teague and Angel all have shown offensive ability as well as great rebound numbers but their defense (and blocked shots) have been mediocre at best. Has Willard had any lock down big man defender? Is it matter of recruiting or poor teaching? We have had a lot of walking foul machines. Auda probably played the best positional defense of any 4/5 Willard recruit, but he wasn't scaring anyone with his D.
When you ask whether Willard has had any lock down defender you also ask whether the lack of defense by our bigs is attributable to recruiting or poor teaching . I think you can only answer that question when you can say that the bigs that KW brought in have the skill set required to play good, smart solid defense or not.If the answer is he has then you can attribute our defensive shortcomings to poor teaching. If the answer is he hasn't brought in bigs with the right skill set then it's a recruiting failure.

Pope barely edges it out before the injury.Delgado in a landslide after Pope's injury

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT