ADVERTISEMENT

DePaul: An untenable situation

That game had my eyes bleeding. Totally ridiculous to be that bad in a city like Chicago. Big East presidents need to exert their power quickly. Shape up or ship out.
That's exactly what Seton Hall was told in the early years of the Big East.

I used to go to games with the hope that we could keep the score within single digits. Winning was the farthest thing from my mind.

I join the Booster Club back then and periodically we would have the head coach or AD speak to us.

I still remember one of the questions asked of then AD Larry Keating when he was asked if the Booster Club would get priority when the discussion of paying a fee for season tickets was broached (this for a team at the time that was winning 1-3 conference games a year) The response was no, I would sell all the tickets to the Ayatollah Khomeini if I could. Khomeini BTW was the Putin of his time for our younger readers.

That's the mentality Pirate fans had to put up with way back then. Was it any wonder that the Pirates were the DePaul of that era.

Of course because the Hall was so bad it took many, many years to attach a fee just to buy season tickets. But that's not the point. Treat your fans the right way and never make embarrassing statements like Keating did to the best and most loyal fans you have.

It was that mindset that turned off so many alums and Pirate supporters. A reason even to this day as to why our giving rate is so poor, especially among older alums.

Fortunately with the hiring of Pat Lyons and even with his promotion out of the athletic department things are now on the upswing.

DePaul has to do something big here….I mentioned in another thread, although farfetched, Adrian Griffin would be a guy I would go after.

He has connections and some local juice from his time with the Bulls.

Reactions: chickenbox
In those days, UConn was pretty bad too, and those games provided the chances for a win or two.
Yes, there was a time that Connecticut and Seton Hall were the dregs of the league.

DePaul has to do something big here….I mentioned in another thread, although farfetched, Adrian Griffin would be a guy I would go after.

So one of the best conferences in the country would have 3 SHU grads as coaches.....that would be pretty amazing. And it would be 6 coaches in total (Hurley, Holloway, Sanders, Copeland, Billmeier and Griffin).

Someone posted on twitter that they should go after Will Wade. I think he would be good hire. We know he can coach kids he pays....

Reactions: HALL85
In those days, UConn was pretty bad too, and those games provided the chances for a win or two.
PC and BC (with an exception or 2), SHU and Uconn stunk.

I remember going to an 8-9 game once in the early 80s. Ran into a BC guy I knew who worked on Wall St (tragically worked at Cantor FitzGerald on 9/11 - RIP Ed). He told me as a goof, he asked everyone he knew if the could have their ticket for the 8-9 game if they werent going, and he pulled out like 150 tickets out of his jacket. Game was sold out, about 1500-2000 fans were in MSG. We seemed in a hopeless spot. I had no faith it would get better.

What PJ did was remarkable. And what Calhoun did, remarkable squared.

Reactions: Piratz and HALL85
So one of the best conferences in the country would have 3 SHU grads as coaches.....that would be pretty amazing. And it would be 6 coaches in total (Hurley, Holloway, Sanders, Copeland, Billmeier and Griffin).

Someone posted on twitter that they should go after Will Wade. I think he would be good hire. We know he can coach kids he pays....
I would never hire a coach without college head coaching experience. Never

I have zero respect for Will Wade and his 'strong-ass' ways.

DePaul needs to step up and hire a credible Head Coach here. I do think the Big East needs to put them on notice, they’re adding no value to the conference and I doubt they have much of a credible presence in the Chicago market right now that is doing the league much good.

Kick them out and consider replacing with a program like Dayton, Richmond, St. Louis.

Reactions: TomD82

Not me, I would be thinking I want to follow what SHU and PC did. Hiring a guy who has only coached in the NBA and got fired halfway thru his first season even though his record is OK doesn't cut it for me, as much as I wish the best for AG,

Reactions: lloyde dobler
DePaul needs to step up and hire a credible Head Coach here. I do think the Big East needs to put them on notice, they’re adding no value to the conference and I doubt they have much of a credible presence in the Chicago market right now that is doing the league much good.

Kick them out and consider replacing with a program like Dayton, Richmond, St. Louis.
At this point it would be Loyola because of it's market. At least they win in Chicago. Doubt it happens anytime soon if it all

PC and BC (with an exception or 2), SHU and Uconn stunk.

I remember going to an 8-9 game once in the early 80s. Ran into a BC guy I knew who worked on Wall St (tragically worked at Cantor FitzGerald on 9/11 - RIP Ed). He told me as a goof, he asked everyone he knew if the could have their ticket for the 8-9 game if they werent going, and he pulled out like 150 tickets out of his jacket. Game was sold out, about 1500-2000 fans were in MSG. We seemed in a hopeless spot. I had no faith it would get better.

What PJ did was remarkable. And what Calhoun did, remarkable squared.
The late John Thompson too. Georgetown was nothing before him.

Reactions: Seton75
This is random and not really DePaul related but since coaching names are brought up in this thread..

Why did Chris Mooney never get a bigger job or leave Richmond? I wanted him badly when we hired Willard (i don’t think he really considered us iirc) such a solid coach with long success and a few tourny runs

I know he had the health scares.

I remember watching the game of the week every Saturday on NBC & thinking wouldn't it be great if Seton Hall was ever this relevant. Little did I know a decade later we would be.

Think Fordham hiring Bob Hill

I could say Eddie Jordan too….oooffa!

In this new NIL world I’m not sure what the prototype HC skills need to be. Do any of us know?
I was thinking Bob Hill because he was hired with an idea of bringing Knicks credibility to a NYC college team.

That may illustrate DePaul’s most immediate problem. become totally irrelevant in their own city. Even with brand new arena built for them. Good luck fixing that.

Reactions: Piratz
NIU had the ball last possession if I recall and the St. Pats kid went early and turned it over, leading to the Monmouth prayer.

At this point it would be Loyola because of it's market. At least they win in Chicago. Doubt it happens anytime soon if it all
I said this a few weeks back. If the DePaul situation continues down this path and the conference wants to make a move, they could replace DePaul with Loyola and keep the Chicago market.

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT