ADVERTISEMENT

DePaul: An untenable situation

PC and BC (with an exception or 2), SHU and Uconn stunk.

I remember going to an 8-9 game once in the early 80s. Ran into a BC guy I knew who worked on Wall St (tragically worked at Cantor FitzGerald on 9/11 - RIP Ed). He told me as a goof, he asked everyone he knew if the could have their ticket for the 8-9 game if they werent going, and he pulled out like 150 tickets out of his jacket. Game was sold out, about 1500-2000 fans were in MSG. We seemed in a hopeless spot. I had no faith it would get better.

What PJ did was remarkable. And what Calhoun did, remarkable squared.
Cubed

Reactions: Seton75
PC and BC (with an exception or 2), SHU and Uconn stunk.

I remember going to an 8-9 game once in the early 80s. Ran into a BC guy I knew who worked on Wall St (tragically worked at Cantor FitzGerald on 9/11 - RIP Ed). He told me as a goof, he asked everyone he knew if the could have their ticket for the 8-9 game if they werent going, and he pulled out like 150 tickets out of his jacket. Game was sold out, about 1500-2000 fans were in MSG. We seemed in a hopeless spot. I had no faith it would get better.

What PJ did was remarkable. And what Calhoun did, remarkable squared.
Seton 75,

BC was actually very good in the early 80s. They were never in the 8.9 game. I actually had John Garris, as one of my suite mates in the BC resi dorm, (who played for Cleveland a few years berfore John Morton went there) during a short lived Big East honors program where I spent my junior year at Boston College, before returning to graduate Seton Hall.

Seton Hall as a nine seed beat PC, and then we're up big in the next game against #1 Seed BC at MSG, before we tanked in the second half during PJs first year

Last edited:
DePaul needs to step up and hire a credible Head Coach here. I do think the Big East needs to put them on notice, they’re adding no value to the conference and I doubt they have much of a credible presence in the Chicago market right now that is doing the league much good.

Kick them out and consider replacing with a program like Dayton, Richmond, St. Louis.
Would there really be any need to add someone else? Why?

The are in Chicago and the Big East benefits by that media market.
Futility can eventually be fatal
But I sense they will pull out of this nosedive of their men’s program.

Don’t recall any team ever being thrown out of any conference that had facilities absent real corruption. And today corruption is legitimized

Grant Billmeier......i agree arrogance is common in these coaches but Wade's actions and statements were especially egregious imho.
Can't disagree there, hope he stays the same, but he hasn't even had a year yet as a head coach.

Reactions: Bluebeard
I'm not sure DePaul needs to be replaced if it ever came to that (and I think that point is either in the next year or two or a very long time away).

Does Loyola do anything more than replace DePaul as a non-entity in the Chicago market? Who else is out there that isn't subtraction by addition?

I've said this before and it bears repeating. Any new members are going to need to be able to increase our next media rights fee by at least the annual amount we will be receiving. If that number is $10 million per year or $100 million for the league at 10 teams, then the eleventh team will need to make that deal worth at least $110 million per year to the Big East. Otherwise, they're taking money out of everybody's pockets.

I said this a few weeks back. If the DePaul situation continues down this path and the conference wants to make a move, they could replace DePaul with Loyola and keep the Chicago market.
You are looking at one sport, womens basketball softball soccer quite competitive

Depaul has a brand new facility and they don’t seem bashful about paying for a head coach. Is it just poor leadership at the top of the organization? Just been a lot of bad decisions on coaching.

Reactions: SoCalBrett
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT