ADVERTISEMENT

DePaul Fires Stubblefield

SHUsez

Sophomore
Feb 15, 2015
Branchburg, NJ
That sends a message they at least want to try and be competitive.

NJ native Matt Brady- former Maryland assistant named interim…

I’ll never forget the ending of the 2023 BET game vs DePaul with the masterful dribbling clinic put on by Mr. Dawes

Have interim for now. Then hire guy who does red hot in tournament with a mid major. Rick Pitino son maybe???? That would be interesting! Has New Mexico #25 in the country right now right above our pirates…

Reactions: Bluebeard
This isnt the pros, mid season change like that with college kids involved isnt going to generate any juice. Athletic directors that make decisions like that are the ones that needs to go.

Its not like DePaul was getting 5 stars. Even if they were by him leaving it wouldn't influence any of them to stay with this age of NIL.

Reactions: SOSHU and Bluebeard
depaul was realllly bad this year. yes somehow worse than previous iterations.

Reactions: Piratz
They need to do what St. John’s did. They need an experienced culture changer, literally all aspects. It’s been beyond bad there for so long.

Reading about this on the Athletic, in terms of a go-for-broke hire, personal feelings aside, someone like Will Wade could work.
Also, a guy like Bryce Drew could work

Reactions: ShoreGold
It almost seems that whoever runs that team is doomed to failure.
It’s a real travesty. It’s been so bad it’s almost taken for granted just how bad it’s been.

**They haven’t been to an NCAA Tournament in 20 years (2004).

**They haven’t been to an NIT in 17 years (2007).

**They are in the midst of their 17th consecutive losing BE season spanning 4 different coaches.

**Their best record during that time is 7-11. Their conference record is 52-244 (.175) over that span, my God.

Just seems like a good opportunity. New stadium. Chicago market. Would be a low bar for someone to come in and move the needle in the right direction. Have been bad for so long in a tough conference.

Bring Michael Jordan back to Chicago. John Beilein on the staff. You got your coaching and NIL funding all in one. Only kidding

For their own sake I would think Brian Dutcher is somwhere near the top of the list.

Bring Michael Jordan back to Chicago. John Beilein on the staff. You got your coaching and NIL funding all in one. Only kidding

For their own sake I would think Brian Dutcher is somwhere near the top of the list.
Honestly though, would Beilein(other than being on the older side) be such a poor choice? I mean, obviously he wouldn’t be in it for the long haul, but he could certainly get them going in the right direction.

Huge fan of Beilein. He almost went back to WVU this summer. I’d be on the phone with him.

Honestly though, would Beilein(other than being on the older side) be such a poor choice? I mean, obviously he wouldn’t be in it for the long haul, but he could certainly get them going in the right direction.
Beilein is one of the top guys out there. The only way I think Beilein would take the job if it was guaranteed to be Patrick's job next. He doesn't need it. It's going to take a ton of work. I can't imagine him wanting to deal with the NIL garbage. But if you guarantee him his son his next in line, yeah he might take it.

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
Hurley senior would never allow the 2 Hurley kids to compete against each other (with one of them being at a far inferior school) ...so if he does interview he would be trying to up his contract. Plus ASU versus Depaul? ...I'd stay in Arizona

Reactions: PirateFan94
Beilein is one of the top guys out there. The only way I think Beilein would take the job if it was guaranteed to be Patrick's job next. He doesn't need it. It's going to take a ton of work. I can't imagine him wanting to deal with the NIL garbage. But if you guarantee him his son his next in line, yeah he might take it.
I tend to agree. DePaul would need him more than he needs them. I think you’re also right that a coach of Beilein’s age - or any Old School coach - wanting to deal with NIL.

Could they ever lure Dusty May?
why would anyone leave Boca Raton for Chi-raq

No young couch should touch this. Perfect opportunity for a guy itching for a second shot a high major. Will Wade/Chris Mack / any other guy involved in a major scandal.

Reactions: HALL85
I tend to agree. DePaul would need him more than he needs them. I think you’re also right that a coach of Beilein’s age - or any Old School coach - wanting to deal with NIL.
I would tend to think if he can guarantee Patrick a 4 year contract at $2 million a year when he's done, he'd be set for life if he's smart and an amazing opportunity to keep it rolling once John gets it started.

I don't think Beilein would want to deal with NIL and transfer portal. He is old school coach that develops players and builds a program. Trust me.....if he went to Depaul they would be well coached.

Well Willard will probably be on the hot seat by years end so he might try to send some signals though his people like he did to MD.

It’s a real travesty. It’s been so bad it’s almost taken for granted just how bad it’s been.

**They haven’t been to an NCAA Tournament in 20 years (2004).

**They haven’t been to an NIT in 17 years (2007).

**They are in the midst of their 17th consecutive losing BE season spanning 4 different coaches.

**Their best record during that time is 7-11. Their conference record is 52-244 (.175) over that span, my God.
And yet they’ve produced how many NBA players? Crazy…

bellien is too old no chance hes coaching again. most coaches who are worth it most likely would wait till a much better job opens up.

you probably need a guy who is coming off some sort of trouble like wade, beard, pitino etc. who knows when the next one will come.

id also look around to see if any coaches out there have major recruits coming up. it can change a program, it did to ours. plus you could pay their player through backdoor money from the coaches salary if you have trouble raising NIL

greg marshall is a super interesting name. what on earth happened to him

Reactions: shu09
Maybe the best coaches top to bottom in any league. Let’s see what direction DePaul goes in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT