ADVERTISEMENT

Do you agree

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
And I want everyone to know I am a Crimson Tide fan as I note this below....

How I would rate the college FB playoffs

1. Michigan 13-0
2. Washington 13-0
3. Alabama 12-1
4. Georgia 12-1

5 Texas 12-1
6 Florida State 13-0

How I believe the top 4 will be rated

1. Michigan 13-0
2. Washington 13-0
3. Texas 12-1
4. Alabama 12-1

5. Florida State 13-0
6. Georgia 12-1

What do you guys think?

Reactions: Pirate Russ

Why unbeaten Florida State shouldn’t be in College Football Playoff​

By Zach Braziller

It isn’t fair.

Florida State couldn’t have possibly done anything differently.

It challenged itself with a high-profile non-conference game. It won all 13 contests it played. It won its last three games, even after star quarterback Jordan Travis was lost for the season with a severe leg injury early in a rout of North Alabama on Nov. 18.

But when the College Football Playoff pairings are announced on Sunday, they shouldn’t include the Seminoles. The ACC champion isn’t one of the best four teams, despite its undefeated record. Not without Travis, the one-time Heisman Trophy candidate who produced 27 touchdowns this year and threw just two interceptions.

Two undefeated conference champions, Michigan of the Big Ten and Washington of the Pac-12, almost certainly will receive the top two seeds, in that order. They were ranked second and third in the latest poll by the committee. They should be followed by one-loss teams Texas and Alabama.

The Crimson Tide snapped top-ranked Georgia’s 29-game winning streak in Saturday’s SEC championship game, closing out a season that started in ominous fashion and has them looking capable of winning what would be a stunning title. Texas, ranked seventh by the committee, won at No. 8 Alabama by double figures in September and claimed its first Big 12 crown since 2009 with an impressive beatdown of Oklahoma State.

Make no mistake, though, this is more about what we haven’t seen from No. 4 Florida State since Travis’ injury. An offense incapable of competing with the four best teams in the country. A team that would be a massive underdog to any of the aforementioned four listed above.

The Seminoles struggled with 5-7 Florida last week and had similar problems with No. 14 Louisville on Saturday in the ACC championship game, a Louisville team that was coming off a loss to in-state rival Kentucky. Kentucky, remember, finished fourth in the SEC East and had lost five of its previous six games before getting past the Cardinals. Backup Florida State quarterback Tate Rodemaker was shaky in the win over Florida, suffered a concussion and his backup, freshman Brock Glenn, was even worse on Saturday. Coach Mike Norvell had to resort to The Wildcat to finally go ahead.

It is funny how it works, that in the final year of the four-team playoff we get all of this chaos. Drama that has been lacking in recent years. A conference championship weekend highlighted by two major upsets and major uncertainty leading up to the big reveal. Next year, there won’t be that problem, as the playoff increases to 12 teams. The committee is in a tough spot. It either punishes an undefeated power five conference champion because of an injury, leaves out a one-loss SEC champion that dethroned the two-time defending national champions or ignores Texas’ head-to-head road win over Alabama.

It is unprecedented in the playoff era for an undefeated power five conference champion to be left out of the playoff. But Florida State’s situation is brand new as well, a title contender losing its best player so late in the season. The only comparison would be Ohio State in 2014, which lost starting quarterback J.T. Barrett in the regular season finale. Those Buckeyes had a capable star ready to take over, and Cardale Jones showed his potential by leading a blowout of Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game. Ohio State went on to win the national championship. Florida State is not capable of repeating that feat.

There already have been arguments made that Florida State has to be selected, because of its entire body of work. Because it didn’t shy away from a high-level non-conference game — it toppled LSU back in early September — and because an undefeated team of its ilk has never been left out. All are accurate points. But so is this: This version of Florida State wouldn’t have gone undefeated. It wouldn’t have beaten LSU, or even ACC opponents Clemson and Duke for that matter.

It is an incomplete team that will get shellacked in the playoff by whomever it plays. The job of the College Football Playoff committee is to select the four best teams. It is pretty clear that doesn’t include Florida State.

Alabama will win the NC . This will help keep Dan happy, somewhat, as another team he follows struggles.

1. Michigan 13-0
2. Washington 13-0
3. Alabama 12-1
4. Ohio State 11-1

5 Texas 12-1
6 Florida State 13-0

1. Michigan 13-0
2. Washington 13-0
3. Texas 12-1
4. Alabama 12-1

5. Florida State 13-0
6. Ohio State 11-1

What do you guys think?
Hard for me to accept Bama as the fourth seed with Texas ahead of them but that seems to be the general consensus. I’m also a Bama fan as well and I put Texas at four and Bama at three as I see Bama with better play at the QB position then Texas.

Coming into the final weeks rankings.... and now as I see it

1. Michigan 13-0
2. Washington 13-0
3. Alabama 12-1 (No SEC Champ has ever missed the playoffs - No team ranked below #6 has ever made the playoffs)
4. Georgia 12-1 (No #1 team has ever lost and missed the playoffs)

5. Texas 12-1 (No team ranked below #6 has ever made the playoffs)
6. Florida State 13-0 (No undefeated Power 5 team has ever missed the playoffs)

Just went to ESPN+ and without posting their detailed observations this is how their power index ranked the teams.

1. Michigan Wolverines (13-0)

2. Washington Huskies (13-0)

3. Texas Longhorns (12-1)

4. Alabama Crimson Tide (12-1)

5. Georgia Bulldogs (12-1)

6. Florida State Seminoles (13-0)

Coming into the final weeks rankings....

1. Michigan 13-0
2. Washington 13-0
3. Alabama 12-1 (No SEC Champ has ever missed the playoffs - No team ranked below #6 has ever made the playoffs)
4. Ohio State 11-1 (No #1 team has ever lost and missed the playoffs)

5. Texas 12-1 (No team ranked below #6 has ever made the playoffs)
6. Florida State 13-0 (No undefeated Power 5 team has ever missed the playoffs)
Assuming you mean Georgia here. Not Ohio State.

1. Michigan 13-0
2. Washington 13-0
3. Alabama 12-1
4. Georgia 12-1

5 Texas 12-1
6 Florida State 13-0

1. Michigan 13-0
2. Washington 13-0
3. Texas 12-1
4. Alabama 12-1

5. Florida State 13-0
6. Georgia 12-1

What do you guys think?
My response is 4 letters. Lloyde knows what i am talking about. Lol

There are 6/7 deserving teams although I know Georgia almost def is not going to make it. And they're a team as an Alabama fan I would least want to play again.

I can't imagine most anyone not believing they are one of the 4 best teams in the country.

Two/three teams are going to be screwed.

There are 6/7 deserving teams although I know Georgia almost def is not going to make it. And they're a team as an Alabama fan I would least want to play again.

I can't imagine most anyone not believing they are one of the 4 best teams in the country.

Two teams are going to be screwed.
I think Georgia and Alabama are the 2nd and 3rd best teams yet neither should be in.

Depends how the committee votes.

They are told to pick the 4 best teams but often choose the 4 most deserving teams.

If they vote the former I agree Steve, Alabama and Georgia will be in. If they vote the latter both SEC teams will be out.

Best thing to do is have one team from each of the power conferences. Michigan, Washington, Florida State, and either Georgia or Alabama.

Personally I don’t really care that much. Just happy Ohio State got knocked out.

Best thing to do is have one team from each of the power conferences. Michigan, Washington, Florida State, and either Georgia or Alabama.
Why not Texas, the Big12 is certainly a power conference?

Texas beat Alabama which beat Georgia.

Reactions: garyshu71
How soon we seem to forget that it took a miracle for Bama to beat Auburn who just got blown out by New Mexico St.

Washington
Michigan
Florida St.
Texas

I really don’t like seeing Michigan in there. They constantly cheat at every opportunity. It’s been going on for years and getting caught over and over doesn’t bother them one bit.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I really don’t like seeing Michigan in there. They constantly cheat at every opportunity. It’s been going on for years and getting caught over and over doesn’t bother them one bit.
Is it cheating because they got caught? I don’t think any of those teams can take the moral high ground on sportsmanship.

I think Alabama gets in (and probably would be favored in all their games in playoffs). With that said, if they don't make the playoff because of a week 2 loss to Texas, it is really unfair considering they go out and challenge themselves in out of conference, whereas Michigan plays East Carolina, UNLV and Bowling Green (I know UNLV was not terrible). Michigan essentially had 2 tough games this year (at Penn St and Ohio St). Therefore, they had to beat underachieving James Franklin on the road, and Ohio St at home. Meanwhile, you look at the team's Alabama beat on their schedule.

I feel really bad for Florida St, but you simply can't put them. If you asked Michigan who they would rather play as the 4 (Alabama or Fla St), we all know who they would pick. They would probably be at 10 point favorite over Fla St, and quite possibly and underdog versus Bama.

Can you tell how much i despise Michigan?

Reactions: HALL85
Michigan should be out..the B1G is atrocious and they just beat up on each other every year and get bolstered by pre season hype and the overall popularity of the conference.

I understand that they will 100000% make it but that’s who I would leave out

FLA St should be nervous too because I’m sure the committee desperately wants Georgia v Texas Mich v Alabama semi finals games for tv and the Fla St qb situation gives them a perfect excuse

What I think it should be
1. Alabama
2. Texas
3. Washington
4. Georgia

5. Michigan
6. FSU

What I think it’ll end up being
1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Alabama
4. Texas

5. Georgia
6. FSU

Bottom line is two deserving teams will be left out no matter which way you slice it.

I think Alabama gets in (and probably would be favored in all their games in playoffs). With that said, if they don't make the playoff because of a week 2 loss to Texas, it is really unfair considering they go out and challenge themselves in out of conference, whereas Michigan plays East Carolina, UNLV and Bowling Green (I know UNLV was not terrible). Michigan essentially had 2 tough games this year (at Penn St and Ohio St). Therefore, they had to beat underachieving James Franklin on the road, and Ohio St at home. Meanwhile, you look at the team's Alabama beat on their schedule.

I feel really bad for Florida St, but you simply can't put them. If you asked Michigan who they would rather play as the 4 (Alabama or Fla St), we all know who they would pick. They would probably be at 10 point favorite over Fla St, and quite possibly and underdog versus Bama.

Can you tell how much i despise Michigan?
I hear what you were saying about Michigan and they’re not conference schedule. But for the big 10, you can only play who you play. Otherwise let’s just pick four teams from the SEC because they all have a brutal schedule.

At least two teams are going to be pissed off. We know that.

Florida State might be an huge underdog, but I don’t know how you punish an undefeated team from a power five conference.

4 most deserving to play for a national title based on their season

1) Michigan
2) Washington
3) FSU
4) Texas

I don't see how you leave a 13-0 team out. Let's see if that defense can carry them to a national title. They earned it. I also don't see how you disregard the Texas-Alabama game. Why play the game if it's going to hold no weight. Personally I'd love to listen to Paul Finebaum cry there's no SEC team in there.

Eye test

1) Alabama
2) Georgia
3) Michigan
4) Washington

Reactions: HALL85
The one thing no one is talking into consideration is the Texas/Alabama game was the second game of the season and Milroe was nowhere near the player back then that he is now. In fact he got benched for his poor play in the first two games and now is a borderline Heisman candidate.

Not saying you don't take that result into consideration, but it also must be weighed in context.

Milroe was very raw to start the season and now he's one of the top 4-5 QBs is college FB.

Did I say that?

ESPN shows that Alabama has the second highest rating vs their opponents in the country. That's a full season's work.

Now I say that noting I am not a fan of just using computer data and also trust the eye test. Which even you noted makes them one of the best teams in the country.

College football is stupid to begin with (as Seton75 says, WGAS), but one thing in particular I've never understood is its ranking system.

For instance:
  • Ohio State is #2, loses a close road game to the #3 team (that week), and falls to #6 the following week.
  • Georgia is #1 all year, hasn't lost a game in two calendar years. It loses a tight game to the #8 team and crashes to #6 the next week.
  • Texas is #7 in every issue of the rankings all season. It beats the #18 team (a team it is supposed to beat based on the rankings) and vaults all the way up to #3 the following week. How so?
I think the title game being in Houston is a factor in why Texas was all of a sudden shot up the rankings. Seems like the committee wants a Texas-Alabama final in Houston.

It makes zero sense logically. But again, college football is stupid and there is no logic involved in the decisions it makes. So I guess that's the explanation for rankings that change wildly on a whim, conveniently in the last week when that's the only poll that matters.

Reactions: Halldan1

1. Michigan 13-0
2. Washington 13-0
3. Texas 12-1
4. Alabama 12-1

5. Florida State 13-0
6. Georgia 12-1

What do you guys think?
Controversial for sure, but that's exactly how it played out.

You have to feel for Florida State, Georgia and even Ohio State.

If Bama didn't make it I would I would have been bummed but I would have understood.

1) Michigan
2) Washington
3) Florida State
4) Texas
This is what I think.

I also agree with Dan that it is hard not to put Bama and Georgia in the playoff because I think they are probably 2 of the best 4.

Michigan is obvious. I think Washington has to be there too. Undefeated in a good conference and beat a very good Oregon team twice.

That leaves the last two.

Texas beat Bama. Bama beat Georgia. Between those 3, hard to leave Texas out.

Florida State is going to likely get smoked because of their QB situation. But hard to tell a power 5 team that went undefeated and survived winning a conference title -- even against a good but not great Ville team -- with a third-stringer. Leaving them out sends a horrible message about what the regular season means in college football. And I don't think the Committee is going to send that message.

So full body of work means nothing, its just about last week.

Stupid.
Really stupid. It's like we've never seen teams win off their defense. Isn't that how the Patriots dynasty started. Didn't the Giants win a couple superbowls where it was carried for basically 58 minutes by the defense and 1 timely throw by the QB in each game. FSU deserved the opportunity to win it all. Everyone discounts giving this kid 4 weeks as QB1 in practice. He will be much better in 4 weeks than he was yesterday. And that defense will still be there.

Heard rumors of this QB at FSU transferring a couple weeks ago. FSU could be down to a wildcat offense in the bowl game now.

Reactions: SPK145
This is the #2 reason (behind SHU not having a team) they I can't get into college football. The fact that a team can do absolutely everything asked of them and not get to play for a championship because some old men in a board room say so is outrageous. I have no love for Florida State, but it seems like this happens to someone almost every year. FSU just happens to be the most extreme example, being from a power conference.

This is the #2 reason (behind SHU not having a team) they I can't get into college football. The fact that a team can do absolutely everything asked of them and not get to play for a championship because some old men in a board room say so is outrageous. I have no love for Florida State, but it seems like this happens to someone almost every year. FSU just happens to be the most extreme example, being from a power conference.
So much for offense wins games, defense wins championships.

Understand why FSU was left out. With the QB situation they clearly aren’t one of the best 4. I think everyone probably agrees with that. But if this were us we would feel screwed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT