ADVERTISEMENT

Extreme highs and lows

buckfoston824

Junior
Jan 15, 2012
I get that Kadary is the engine to our offense but Sha can’t just allow our team to fall apart when he gives his best player a breather. Our second unit, hell even 4 of ours starters minus Kadary need to be able to run a simple offense and get the best possible shot off. This is a very low bball IQ team overall.

Stats for this game are very telling. Look no further than fast break differential, assists, bench points and shooting percentages.

Xavier knew we like to run and had most of their defenders drop back all game instead of crashing the boards on offense. We tied on team rebounds. They neutered one of the most dynamic parts of our offense. Seton Hall scored 2 points on the fast break today.

Xavier team assists - 25
Seton Hall team assists - 12

Time and time again we see low assist numbers coming from our offense. Surprisingly Dawes lead the team with 4, Davis with 3 and Richmond with only 2. Kadary kept driving to the hoop hoping to get fouled (shot 3-4 FT) and did not adjust when he stopped getting calls. Killed our whole offensive flow.

Xavier moved the ball well today but we for some reason still switch way too much and give teams too much space in the corners and around the perimeter in general leading to teams raining threes on us.

Our bench failed us today. Maybe guys played in spurts without extended minutes together but bench guys need to be prepared to come in and get hustle points. The only bench guy I saw trying to score today with EHE (btw he is 12-12 on free throws this season). Let’s get the kid more aggressive trying to score. Coleman only took 3 shots, did not look like himself.

Shooting percentages

Xavier FG% - 44.3%
Xavier 3P% - 50%

Hall FG% - 32.4%
Hall 3P% - 13.3%

We played low IQ basketball today plain and simple. Xavier had a ton of threes fall and maybe got lucky on a few but we shouldn’t even be allowing teams to take twenty long range shots in a game. This goes back to the disparity in assists - more passing and smarter decision making = better offense. But you need smart players to make that happen.

Last point - why is it for the last 10 years or so we cannot scrap together even a decent backup point guard? Legitimately maddening. Would love to hear excuses on this.

Gunna go make some eggnog GO PIRATES. Sha I hope you learn from the tape tonight.

I complimented Dawes last Game especially on his D effort -- just have no clue what he was doing today --

Reactions: jack 1970
I have been so disappointed with the D this year. they finally played really well against UCONN, and i thought the D was good the first 10 minutes of this game.

The extreme highs and lows will continue with this team because consistency is the big difference when it comes to really good players. We have nice players that a capable of being really good in select games. And we got really lucky against UCONN because they all played well. Nonetheless, the offensive inconsistency will be a fixture throughout the season. The only thing that can always be consistent is D. And unless they bring it Defensively for 40 minutes every game, we will have these extreme highs and lows.

If you can’t throw it in the ocean when you’re up to your knees in saltwater (forget the threes) your not going to be so good.

It’s a journey to get to the tournament as the goal. UConn was 1 out of 30 games. Xavier is 1 out of 30 games. Keep working guys. Learn from it. Get better. LFG!!!

The big question is what SH team is going to show up. The one that’s ready to play and giving maximum effort or the one that’s complacent or the one that played UConn and beat them convincingly.

Reactions: Piratz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT