ADVERTISEMENT

Finally someone asked the chair something

I thought he was terrible and he just opened up a lot of questions marks about the whole selection process. He didn't do the selection committee any favors. Seems like the process is subject to the selection committee members' individual biases.
Who represented the Big east on the committee?

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
I thought he was terrible and he just opened up a lot of questions marks about the whole selection process. He didn't do the selection committee any favors. Seems like the process is subject to the selection committee members' individual biases.
Who represented the Big east on the committee?

NCAA Tournament Selection Committee​

The 2023-2024 Selection Committee (the year the term is up is in parenthesis):
CHARLES MCCLELLAND (2024) – SWAC Commissioner (Chairperson)
JAMIE POLLARD (2024) – Iowa State Athletic Director
SCOTT BARNES (2024) – Oregon State Athletic Director
BUBBA CUNNINGHAM (2025) – North Carolina Athletic Director (Vice-Chairperson)
MARK COYLE (2026) – Minnesota Athletic Director
GREG BYRNE (2026) – Alabama Athletic Director
KEITH GILL (2026) – Sun Belt Commissioner
BARRY COLLIER (2026) – Butler Athletic Director
MARTIN NEWTON (2027) – Samford Athletic Director
TOM WISTRCILL (2027) – Big Sky Commissioner
ARTHUR JOHNSON (2028) – Temple Athletic Director
RENEE BAUMGARTNER (2028) – Santa Clara Athletic Director

Next year Bubba becomes chair...this has nothing to do with rep or advocating for big east because that is not the job of this committee

The committee is there to evaluate at large contenders and their selection into the field and seeding and placing the teams is the most well rounded fashion by pod and region sites

Next year Bubba becomes chair...this has nothing to do with rep or advocating for big east because that is not the job of this committee

The committee is there to evaluate at large contenders and their selection into the field and seeding and placing the teams is the most well rounded fashion by pod and region sites
OK, I give up... who is Bubba?

• Haha
Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Barry Collier should be banned from the Big East meetings. He failed the Big East this go round or got outvoted. I hope Felt gives it to him.

Only 2 representatives from East Coast conferences.

No actually that is not how it works
I know he has to leave the room when they discuss a BE team. But they don't do a review at the end all together to make sure they are not making a mistake? At some point they had to know the BE only got 3 teams.

His explanations are exactly what's wrong with the whole selection system.

You can find a reason to keep anyone out. Did they look for injuries during games for all bubble teams during their best wins? I doubt it, but they found something they could use vs SHU to justify their decision.

He said PC's 4-7 road record stood out along with some unnamed metrics. PC's road record was better than BYU, Kansas, Wisconsin, Mich State and Fla. All teams safely in the field. Colorado State and Northwestern were also 4-7. Road record was apparently no issue for these teams.

Show the math on the metrics to the leagues and coaches so they at least know the game.

I sadly think McClelland and a good % of commitee members were financially motivated/pressured to ensure any debatable credits were overwhelmingly distributed to fbs members.

And Seton Hall, Providence, and St.Johns unfortunately all fell into the debatable category for inclusion.

McClellans poor and inconsistent responses are nothing more than slapping an insulting story to metrics to justify their means of sharing why the fbs got slots over 1 to 3 additional Big East Teams.

And if "Bubba" and UNC is chairing next year, the Big East will, using Crazy Bobby Gonzo vernacular "need to win by 10 to win by 1"

The hatred spewed on the Big East is just too much to stomach today.

Wow, mentions Clingan injury as a knock on our win. This man is a clown in a suit. He also mentions St. Johns Q1 record, which Mad Dog should of followed up asking about Michigan States.
We were winning before Klingan went out by 7 points and he went out with foul trouble.

I sadly think McClelland and a good % of commitee members were financially motivated/pressured to ensure any debatable credits were overwhelmingly distributed to fbs members.

And Seton Hall, Providence, and St.Johns unfortunately all fell into the debatable category for inclusion.

McClellans poor and inconsistent responses are nothing more than slapping an insulting story to metrics to justify their means of sharing why the fbs got slots over 1 to 3 additional Big East Teams.

And if "Bubba" and UNC is chairing next year, the Big East will, using Crazy Bobby Gonzo vernacular "need to win by 10 to win by 1"

The hatred spewed on the Big East is just too much to stomach today.
This is where I’m at as well. There is an agenda and we witnessed it firsthand last night.

The positive about having Pitino at St. John's is it is going to bring more attention to this story. If it was just Seton Hall and Providence, or even those 2 plus SJU without Pitino, I'm not sure it would be getting the attention it is now. WFAN doesn't have the reach or power it did years ago, but it is still the preeminent sports station in NY if not the country, and it is getting talked about there today. Brandon Tierney had a 20 minute rant about it earlier, and not simply from the SJU perspective, but from the overall Big East perspective (like much of us have been driving at), because he was sticking up for Providence and Seton Hall too, and Seton Hall especially. Other notable figures or commentators are addressing it too. Maybe that helps going forward, although at bottom it is obvious up to the teams to learn the lesson.

Reactions: Hall Is Life
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT