ADVERTISEMENT

GLENN BECK vs AL SHARPTON

SnakeTom

May 29, 2001
I read in the newspapers this weekend about rival rally's held this weekend in Washington, DC repesesenting the two different viewpoints of the direction our nation should go.

Of course its great that we have freedom of speech & assembly in this country but wait one minute since when did Glenn Beck and Al Sharpton become the spokespersons for the two major viewpoints in our nation. What about those of us who do not follow nor have any respect for EITHER of these gentlemen?

Tom K

A sad state of affairs when so many people are following the agenda of both these men. One is a radical righty, another a radical lefty.

are you saying that Beck's entire agenda is radical right? I think that he is saying the same things that a lot of people running for election are saying and a lot of the electorate agree with. I have a problem with branding him with the radical right label and using someone like Sharpton as a comparison. You can compare the two rallies that took place Saturday... that's fair..... one talked about inclusion and the importance of God and the other talked about how the MLK message belonged to only one class of people. Which one sounded more like MLK Jr?

Comparing the two of them is an insult to Beck. I guess you don't remember Tawana Brawley, and how Sharpton propogated her lies and went after innocent police officers tying to ruin their careers....and never apologized when the truth came out that she smeared her own crap on herself. He's a shameful racist and not to mention that he has also been brought up on tax evasion.

I tend to agree with Tom. I cannot stand Sharpton and sometimes like what Beck says and sometimes disagree with him wholeheartedly.

I am amazed at how much air time Palin gets as well. She could not ever be a viable candidate, ever. She resigned from the Governorship in Alaska and I do not like quitters. Part of the problem is the press and part of the problem is that the real candidates of the future have not stepped up.

How is saying that neither represents the mainstream an insult to Beck as opposed to Sharpton. Neither represents my views either.

Originally posted by Piratefan1:
How is saying that neither represents the mainstream an insult to Beck as opposed to Sharpton. Neither represents my views either.
They have opposing views, but Sharpton is morally corrupt and Beck is not.

Originally posted by HALL85:
Originally posted by Piratefan1:
They have opposing views, but Sharpton is morally corrupt and Beck is not.

Don't confuse me with defending Sharpton. I can't stand him... but very few on the left actually take him seriously.

Beck however has a cultish following of idiots who believe everything he says. He is one of the most divisive personalities in politics and thrives by creating fear and anger.

Merge, I'm not a fan of Beck...actually find his radio show kind of boring. I almost think he has a following becuase there are a lot of people out there that are disgusted with the whole system we have today (Democrats and Republicans) and he's struck a nerve on that.

Comparing the two of them is an insult to Beck. I guess you don't remember Tawana Brawley, and how Sharpton propogated her lies and went after innocent police officers tying to ruin their careers....and never apologized when the truth came out that she smeared her own crap on herself. He's a shameful racist and not to mention that he has also been brought up on tax evasion.

I disagree. If I do not respect either of them why should I have to differentiate which I dislike more. Zero still equals Zero.

Tom K

Tom, if you're going to look at it in such absolute terms that's your perogative. I'm just distinguishing between their moral compass, which Sharpton has proven to have none.

Look, I have little respect for Palin and Edwards, but to me, I dislike Edwards much more because of what a shit he was to his wife and family.

Tom, if you're going to look at it in such absolute terms that's your perogative. I'm just distinguishing between their moral compass, which Sharpton has proven to have none.

Look, I have little respect for Palin and Edwards, but to me, I dislike Edwards much more because of what a shit he was to his wife and family.

You are also using absolute terms if you are not taking into account the effect each has on the population. How many people take Sharpton seriously? How many people take Beck seriously?

It is actually scary. Beck is convincing millions of people that Obama is racist, he is also focusing on building a master race with stem cell research, the government is out to get them, we have concentration camps for right wing political views...etc.

Sharpton is a racist scumbag. Beck is possibly much worse if the anti-government shootings keep popping up. There have been several this year. Beck is building a small group of Americans that want to start a revolution.

I am not sure where he falls on your moral compass but he has said some incredibly disturbing things.

Interesting viewpoint merge.... wrong on so many levels....but interesting. You accuse beck of all the things that beck accuses the government of and more... I actually don't watch his showor listen to him, but this master race theory you have with stem cells is quite a unique take on what I understand his stance to be....adult stem cell vs embrinoic stem cell research.. Master race???? where do you get that???? sounds to me like your views are as wacky and idiotic as the views that you perceive on the right..... He did apologize for calling Obama a racist, by the way. He was dead wrong in using that termionology to the President and admitted it; tone deaf.... yes, unintelligent....yes, jumps to conclusions..... yes, bad executive ... yes; has bad advisors... yes.... Obama is all of that and more, but probably not a racist.

Originally posted by PiratePride:
Interesting viewpoint merge.... wrong on so many levels....but interesting. You accuse beck of all the things that beck accuses the government of and more... I actually don't watch his showor listen to him, but this master race theory you have with stem cells is quite a unique take on what I understand his stance to be....adult stem cell vs embrinoic stem cell research.. Master race???? where do you get that???? sounds to me like your views are as wacky and idiotic as the views that you perceive on the right.....

ummm....

"So here you have Barack Obama going in and spending the money on embryonic stem cell research. ... Eugenics. In case you don't know what Eugenics led us to: the Final Solution. A master race! A perfect person. ... The stuff that we are facing is absolutely frightening." - Glenn Beck

Originally posted by SPK145:

All committed by Democrats/leftists, BTW.

All? Not true as gun activists are rarely lefties.

Several of them in fact were right wing extremists.

Research that, most were left wing anti-government types. Like the loony who crashed a plane into the IRS building. Like the loony who stabbed the NYC cab driver for being Muslim.

If Americans weren't so disgusted, Beck wouldn't have an audience. I think the good that comes out of a guy like Beck is that it will hopefully encourage someone to step up or a third party to form with a new line of thinking that challenges our two party system who don't seem to get it. Accusing Beck for being responsible for these random shooters is irresponsible.

By coincidence I attended a meeting this week in Las Vegas and Huckabee was the keynote speaker. He was equally as critical of his own party for being out of touch and suggested that people speaking out in these various movements were a good thing to wake the Dems and Reps up.

Originally posted by SPK145:
Research that, most were left wing anti-government types. Like the loony who crashed a plane into the IRS building. Like the loony who stabbed the NYC cab driver for being Muslim.

I remembers the stories. I will look them up later if I have time but there were at least three that were labeled as right wing extremists.

If Americans weren't so disgusted, Beck wouldn't have an audience. I think the good that comes out of a guy like Beck is that it will hopefully encourage someone to step up or a third party to form with a new line of thinking that challenges our two party system who don't seem to get it. Accusing Beck for being responsible for these random shooters is irresponsible.

By coincidence I attended a meeting this week in Las Vegas and Huckabee was the keynote speaker. He was equally as critical of his own party for being out of touch and suggested that people speaking out in these various movements were a good thing to wake the Dems and Reps up.

Millions of Americans are disgusted at all times. I remember Rush Limbaugh's television show and I was just starting to follow politics and he said that it was day xxx under hostage under Bill Clinton.

There are people on the right that eat stuff like that up.
The left is less likely to follow the "outraged" personalities (like Olberman)

Accusing Beck for the shooters is irresponsible.. Just as Beck saying that he "can't prove" that there are no concentration camps for conservatives is also irresponsible.

He is building an anti-government sentiment and I believe that it could make anti-government radical groups gain popularity.

To me Sharpton & Beck are both demogogues who appeal to different followings. I am very distrustfull of those who invoke religion to to further a political agenda. I look at the Muslim fundamentalists who will kill innocents in the name of religion. I also ssee the Egyptian religious fanatics who assassinated Anwar Sadat and the Israeli fanatics that assassinated Prime Minister Yitzhawk Rabin in the name of religion. Throughout history many, many wars were fought in the name of religion to spread the faith or eliminate the infidels. I am just as wary of the religious fanatics in this country as elsewhere. In this regard I think Beck is more dangerous than Sharpton who is taken seriously by very few.

Tom K

Originally posted by Merge:

Millions of Americans are disgusted at all times. I remember Rush Limbaugh's television show and I was just starting to follow politics and he said that it was day xxx under hostage under Bill Clinton.

Accusing Beck for the shooters is irresponsible.. Just as Beck saying that he "can't prove" that there are no concentration camps for conservatives is also irresponsible.

He is building an anti-government sentiment and I believe that it could make anti-government radical groups gain popularity.
You really should go back and read your post...what you are suggesting is that you're against freedom of speech actually and have a very biased view of people. I thought you were better than that.

we have concentration camps for right wing political views...etc.

Beck doesn't believe the FEMA camp theories from what I can recall.
This post was edited on 8/31 6:40 PM by shu09

Originally posted by SnakeTom:
To me Sharpton & Beck are both demogogues who appeal to different followings. I am very distrustfull of those who invoke religion to to further a political agenda. I look at the Muslim fundamentalists who will kill innocents in the name of religion. I also ssee the Egyptian religious fanatics who assassinated Anwar Sadat and the Israeli fanatics that assassinated Prime Minister Yitzhawk Rabin in the name of religion. Throughout history many, many wars were fought in the name of religion to spread the faith or eliminate the infidels. I am just as wary of the religious fanatics in this country as elsewhere. In this regard I think Beck is more dangerous than Sharpton who is taken seriously by very few.

Tom K
Am I missing something? Has Beck demonstrated any violence or rallied people to resort to violent behavior? Like I said, I don't watch him but I have seen Sharpton directly attack innocent individuals whose lives were destroyed. I think there's a difference in articulating a view against the President versus falsly attacking an innocent citizen.

You really should go back and read your post...what you are suggesting is that you're against freedom of speech actually and have a very biased view of people. I thought you were better than that.

Not at all. I believe with power you gain responsibility.

I think Beck has tremendous power and instead of making people aware of politics, he makes them afraid of politicians.

It happens on the left as well, I just happen to believe Beck is one of the worst and potentially most dangerous political personality.

Originally posted by shu09:

we have concentration camps for right wing political views...etc.

Beck doesn't believe the FEMA camp theories from what I can recall.
This post was edited on 8/31 6:40 PM by shu09

Yes. After he was bashed for saying it in the first place...
He basically went on air saying that after trying for days he could not debunk the story.

It was one of those.. "I can't prove you didn't murder anyone... so... who knows" moments. Complete crap.

He was making people scared and angry on purpose. That is what I don't like about him.

Merge: "Not at all. I believe with power you gain responsibility.

I think Beck has tremendous power and instead of making people aware of politics, he makes them afraid of politicians.

It happens on the left as well, I just happen to believe Beck is one of the worst and potentially most dangerous political personality."

I can make an argument that you can insert Obama's name in there in place of Beck and right instead of left, and the statement is just as true....

lol. Really? "This president I think has exposed himself over and over again as a guy who has a deep-seated hatred for white people"

You think you can find one from Obama even close to that?

"I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. ... No, I think I could."

"When I see a 9/11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, 'Oh shut up' I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining."

"I think there is a handful of people who hate America. Unfortunately for them, a lot of them are losing their homes in a forest fire today."

Should I go on?

Originally posted by SnakeTom:

I disagree. If I do not respect either of them why should I have to differentiate which I dislike more. Zero still equals Zero.

Tom K

That's some ridiculous logic that I don't expect from a lawyer (okay, maybe a trial lawyer). I don't respect Joseph Stalin and I don't respect Rush Limbaugh. Doesn't mean I wouldn't/shouldn't differentiate between the two in describing their polarizing political views. Incredibly dumb.

I think my logic is perfectly sound & it makes no difference what my profession is. The ORIGINAL POST DOES NOT COMPARE THEM & THAT WAS NOT MY INTENT BUT RATHER TO POINT OUT THAT NEITHER REPRESENTS THE OPINIONS OF MYSELF NOR MOST AMERICANS (sorry caps lock). I see no reason to waste my time talking about Al Sharpton as very few people if anyone takes him seriously. And I could really say the same thing about Stalin & Limbaugh. One was an important historical (but evil) political figure while the other is a radio clown. So what is there to possibly compare about them. If you read further to my subsequent post you would have seen why I think Beck is the more dangerous of the two.

Tom K

lol. Really? "This president I think has exposed himself over and over again as a guy who has a deep-seated hatred for white people"

"I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. ... No, I think I could."

"When I see a 9/11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, 'Oh shut up' I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining."

"I think there is a handful of people who hate America. Unfortunately for them, a lot of them are losing their homes in a forest fire today."

Should I go on?
LOL...what does the musings of a radio personality have to do with someone who is supposed to be running the country???

Should I go on?
LOL...what does the musings of a radio personality have to do with someone who is supposed to be running the country???

You can't. I thought you brought up the comparison.

I don't think anyone comes close to trying to instill the level of fear that Beck is trying to push on his viewers/listeners.

Listen to what he said just yesterday.

Link

Merge, it's a free country...if people fear Glen Beck they can turn off the radio. Really, who flocks to listen to someone to have fear instilled in them??? I don't think many people choose that form of entertainment.

You oppose his viewpoint; I don't even listen to him; but to say he is singlehandly creating a culture of hatred and fear in the country is plain crazy.

Do you know anyone that lives there life based on what they hear from a radio personality? Or are you just worried about someone speaking to a view that is contrary to yours and you want him stopped? That doesn't sound like freedom of speech and a democracy to me....what are you suggesting???

Merge, it's a free country...if people fear Glen Beck they can turn off the radio. Really, who flocks to listen to someone to have fear instilled in them??? I don't think many people choose that form of entertainment.

You oppose his viewpoint; I don't even listen to him; but to say he is singlehandly creating a culture of hatred and fear in the country is plain crazy.

Do you know anyone that lives there life based on what they hear from a radio personality? Or are you just worried about someone speaking to a view that is contrary to yours and you want him stopped? That doesn't sound like freedom of speech and a democracy to me....what are you suggesting???

What I am suggesting is that Beck plays with peoples fears and emotions to further his political agenda even though he knows what he is saying is not true. Yes, some people enjoy being angry. I know several of them that listen to conservative entertainers and love spewing their nonsense back to me. They don't listen to come away more intelligent, or entertained. They want to know what they should be upset about this week.

I am suggesting that he will potentially push people who want to be angry about politics over the edge and I believe his words are potentially dangerous, especially when you start saying Katherine Sebelius is pushing an education movement like Mao Zedong! Really?

By your line of thinking, no different than when a President accuses a police officer of being "stupid", and some of those people out there that despise authority go over the edge and take a shot at a cop because those comments.

Regardless, what do you propose to do about Beck if he's that dangerous in your mind? Take him off TV? Censor him??

By your line of thinking, no different than when a President accuses a police officer of being "stupid", and some of those people out there that despise authority go over the edge and take a shot at a cop because those comments.

Such a ridiculous analogy. Beck spews his garbage every day on his radio and TV shows and you try to compare it to one stupid, but one time, out of line remark by a President.

The media tells the lemmings what to think in this country. That's why Beck is somewhat dangerous. It doesn't affect the majority of us who can think for ourselves but it can have a big effect on the crazies who are out there.
This post was edited on 9/3 8:33 AM by shu09

Regardless, what do you propose to do about Beck if he's that dangerous in your mind? Take him off TV? Censor him??

Obama called one cop stupid. Beck said that our government is implementing a re-education akin to Communist China. (meanwhile starting his own university??..LOL) Yeah... those are close.

I am not suggesting we do anything about Beck. I just hope that God forbid his group of radical idiots does grow into something dangerous that he and everyone who employs him will be held responsible, and every time someone speaks well of him, I will point out his BS.

You can't deny that the Obama adminstration has taken this country way to the left of where the majority of people want to be. Beck's outspoken comments are part of the back lash.

The problem, for the left is that they refuse to admit that there are millions of Americans, probably a majority, who agree more with Beck than they do with Obama. They might not agree with everything he says or maybe how he says it, but they, like Beck, are fed up with Obama. There's the common ground. The left (Obama administration) can focus on people like Beck... but if they miss the point about the majority, they do so at their own peril.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT